Hi All!

I am currently studying a year abroad in Florence, Italy and at&t graciously unlocked my atrix 2 so I could buy an Italian sim/service while i'm away.

I got a plan with TIM, a popular service provider, and pay a monthly rate so I can have a fully functioning phone. The problem is that phone calls and texts seem to work except for the phone's ability to access internet data when i'm not in a wifi zone.

I have zero phone knowledge and was wondering if this is something that could maybe be fixed? Is there a discrepancy in frequency needs? I read online TIM frequency is 1800?

Any advice on what I can try doing would be greatly appreciated. I have some tech friends that can handle complicated fixings, if that's the case!

Best,
    Veronica
    09-30-2013 12:28 PM
    If it is a case of your phone not supporting European UMTS frequencies, there's no "fix". The frequency a phone covers is determined by the hardware in the phone, not by software you can add to it.From what I know, though, the Atrix 2 covers UMTS band 1, which is European UMTS. Maybe TIM uses a different band for data?
    09-30-2013 02:00 PM
    Yeah it seems that they both have the GSM 1800 Mhz frequency in common. Researching up a storm! Thanks for the reply.
    09-30-2013 02:16 PM
    Hi! I live in Italy, did you try to write manual APN? Maybe that could work, I have just bought a HTC One ( for German market) Sim free unlocked, my sim 3hg went OK, but I had to write APN manually. Hope it works for you too!!!

Inviato dal mio HTC One con Tapatalk 2
    vsa209 likes this.
    09-30-2013 03:14 PM
    Hi Matilde! So if I have the TIM special package like this one here: TIM Special Full Small | TIM
    would I have to be adding another package/paying more to activate internet? Even though it says 1gb internet offered in this package? I saw some sites saying that I would have to SMS a number with a special code to activate internet and they did not have me do that. I tried the manual APN!
    09-30-2013 03:50 PM
    You don't have to add other cost or subscription!! You have Internet in your phone Con tract, maybe you should go to a TIM shop and ask for more info about your US devise and how to use APN internet in Europe. My husband bought a lot of smartphones in the USA and could. Make them run perfectly here in Italy , changing ROM and so on.... so there is a way for your device too.

Inviato dal mio HTC One con Tapatalk 2
    09-30-2013 04:12 PM
    Ok, I'll try asking more about the APN/ROM. Vorrei essere piu fluente in italiano haha
    09-30-2013 04:26 PM