Play Store says "Please Insert SD Card!" and won't open. Help?

Marcos Salas

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a used phone today, Galaxy S4, and it seemed to work fine except when I try to open google play store to download apps I cannot open it. It asks me for an SD card. Is this normal? I do not recall any of my other devices ever asking me for an SD card. Why is this? I am wondering, perhaps this phone is hacked, rooted, modded, flashed or etc.? I am not familiar with any of these processes. This is the phone information listed in the "About" section. I would appreciate it if someone could help me by either telling me how to fix the play store issue or if the phone has been modified. Thanks! Note: I already tried clearing app data, force stopping, rebooting, and a factory reset.

Model Number: GT I9500
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband Version : MAUI.11AMD.W11.50.SP.V37, 2013/06/19
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
1311 V14
Tue Jul 23 12:20:05 CST 2013
Build Number : JDQ39.I9500ZHUAMDE
Custom Build Version : 1374547892

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Does the issue happen wether you are on Wifi or Mobile Data, or both? What about the internal sd card built into the device, is that working properly?

I'm not exactly sure why Play Store would be asking for an sd card to be inserted. I did a quick search online and couldn't find a similar issue, so I'm clueless as to what is going on.

To be safe, you might want to consider a factory restore through Odin. I"ll see how i can further help in a bit.

Marcos Salas

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply!

EDIT: I have since discovered that I have bought a fake, Asian "Samsung" and that is why I didn't have a lot of the stuff I thought was missing and the play store worked as it did (required an SD card to open and saved installed apps in card). It doesn't have original hardware or software so it's incompatible with most, if not all (for I found none), roms and rooting methods. Fortunately I have not paid for the phone yet and will be returning it to the owner tomorrow. I expect she will be upset and perhaps a little mad but who cares. Beware of visually deceiving samsung copies! It came with a pretty box and everything! Even the battery says Samsung and looks original but is fake. Increds how far piracy goes.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply!

EDIT: I have since discovered that I have bought a fake, Asian "Samsung" and that is why I didn't have a lot of the stuff I thought was missing and the play store worked as it did (required an SD card to open and saved installed apps in card). It doesn't have original hardware or software so it's incompatible with most, if not all (for I found none), roms and rooting methods. Fortunately I have not paid for the phone yet and will be returning it to the owner tomorrow. I expect she will be upset and perhaps a little mad but who cares. Beware of visually deceiving samsung copies! It came with a pretty box and everything! Even the battery says Samsung and looks original but is fake. Increds how far piracy goes.

Hopefully you can get your money back.
Good luck.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca