New DROID user, coming from BB

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hey guys! i have spent the past 3 years using a BB and posting on crackberry, but i recently traded my storm 2 for a Moto D1. after RIM's announcement that the storm 2 would not be receiving OS6 (read: full web-browsing), i started looking for an X or Incredible on craigslist, but ended up finding a deal on a D1 that i just couldn't pass up. a guy bought his D1 38 days ago through verizon, but found out on monday that as of sept. 1, his company would be requiring their employees to have a BB. this allowed me to get a straight trade on an essentially brand new D1 for my 10 month old storm 2. of course, there are some things i miss, and the android operating system is going to take some getting used to, but i am liking it so far. of course, i am going to ask the obligatory newb questions: what apps should i be downloading? what settings should i be changing? what case offers decent protection without adding bulk?

i'm sure i'll think of some more later, but those will do for now. ;)

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
They're all highly subjective questions. What types of apps do you use? How do you normally like to set up your devices? What types of cases do you like? It's not a one-size-fits-all world.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sounds exactly like a Crackberry question, just substitute the word Android. I prefer looking at what it was I was doing on my Blackberry and then search for an app that will do the same thing on an Android.

Apps AND cases are totally subjective like takeshi said.

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You can also take a look at the stickies at the top of each forum for suggestions and tips. I'm over from BlackBerry and haven't looked back.

MRWOLF6969

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I am also a BB convert the one thing you will find is Android has way more and better apps. Take the time it can be frustrating but it's well worth it. I should have maid this move long a go. Grab a barcode scaner and use the app reviews as they are very helpfull

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
In a couple weeks you'll be wonder why it took you so long to switch. It's amazing how much better a phone can be. I have my droid skinned and use a leather case/pouch to protect it. You'll find it troublesome to fit your droid into a car dock, media, dock, etc.. with a case on the phone so if you are going to use any of the above mentioned accessories I suggest getting a skin or leaving your droid naked and using a sort of wallet/case/pouch for keeping it protected.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
They're all highly subjective questions. What types of apps do you use? How do you normally like to set up your devices? What types of cases do you like? It's not a one-size-fits-all world.

i could not have worded it better myself. it all comes down to you personal preferences. i remember coming to this from the storm and being a little confused at first but the more you mess around and check out different sites/forums the more that you become aware of. i remember using Quick Launch on my Storm and wondering if there was an equivalent app for android but then after a few days of use i realized that android didn't need it. Blackberries wouldn't need it if Rim designed the phones better haha but thats a topic for another day because i could go on and on about Rim's mistakes and downfalls.

the search function on the forum is a great way to find answers to questions that you have without posting a duplicate thread. i can't tell you how many threads have been posted asking about what apps or cases or hacks etc.... should they download/use and it's even funnier because a lot of them state that they are coming from a blackberry (i guess they are slowly losing more and more market share.... Poor Crackberry).

oh and welcome to the Android Central forums :cool::cool::cool:.