Hi all.
    Well I decided yesterday to try Cyanogen Mod for the first time. So I downloaded: cm-10.2-20130730-UNOFFICIAL-i9300
    I read numerous tutorials on how to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300. I ended up with Odin, Heimdall, SRSRootsetup, recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.1-i9300, and a couple of other things on my desktop.
    After an afternoon of frustrating failed attempts, I finally achieved a rooted 'phone, with a strange looking Android install of the same version I had been on previously (4.1.2). It was very sparse and blue themed, but I still had connection to my provider (3) and via my wifi connection (plusnet)
    I tried to install the Cyanogen Mod, but if I tried the reboot holding home, power and volume button, I just got an Odin page, with Odin in tiny red letters at the top, and a green Android with "Downloading, Do not disconnect target"
    I left this for a bit, but nothing happened. Then I read that the CM folder and the GAPPS folder should be put onto the 'phone still zipped. So, after fiddling about with USB drivers, I managed to get the 'phone recognised by my system. I was able to open it, so I copy/pasted the zip files for CM 10.2 and gapps-jb-20130813-signed, into both the SD card and the 'phone itself (to be on the safe side)
    I had previously put Goomanager and ROMmanager on the 'phone. After many attempts, which resulted in the Odin page, I got into ROMmanager. I was able to click down the list and open both the CM install and Gapps folder.
    So, Cyanogenmod is installed, and some Google apps have appeared in the apps cache.
    However, I cannot access any of it. I have put some app icons on the home screens, Gmail, G+, settings, messages etc. I have a lock screen with a digital clock on it, under that I have todays date, and under that a large gold question mark, with "no data, tap to refresh" Tapping it doesn't do anything at all. Toward the bottom of the screen is a lock symbol. Touching that gives me a choice of swiping it toward internet, phone, music, messaging and lock.
    This opens the 'phone. However, if i try to access anything, either through the icons I've put on the home screen or the 'phone etc at the bottom I get the whirling blue Cyanagen loading symbol. and I'm then returned to the locked screen.
    The only icon that works at all is the one in the middle, which displays my apps. Once again, I cannot open the apps from there, and if I transfer the icons to the home screen they are equally useless. I seem to have no connections whatsoever, either network or wifi. It's hard to tell as opening settings just takes me back to the locked screen.
    I'm loving the whirling blue ring, very cool, but I'm getting a bit fed up with looking at it, and I have got a totally useless device

Can anyone help, what can I do to fix this? Cheers, John
    10-10-2013 05:41 PM
    I'd think that asking on the CyanogenMod forums (they have separate ones for the CDMA version of your phone and the GSM version) would get you better help.
    10-11-2013 08:51 PM
    Thanks very much Rukbat. I did post a very similar post in that forum, and I've received a reply from a guy, who seems prepared to baby talk me through it. That's just what I need. I watched several video tutorials before trying this, and I even had a step by step tutorial playing during my attempt, which I kept pausing.
    I think it is difficult making tutorials about something you know how to do well. It's easy to assume a basic knowledge that people don't necessarily have. There were a couple of times when I was left guessing, and I must have guessed wrong Thanks for taking the time to reply, John :-)
    10-11-2013 09:49 PM
    Thanks very much Rukbat. I did post a very similar post in that forum, and I've received a reply from a guy, who seems prepared to baby talk me through it. That's just what I need. I watched several video tutorials before trying this, and I even had a step by step tutorial playing during my attempt, which I kept pausing.
    I think it is difficult making tutorials about something you know how to do well. It's easy to assume a basic knowledge that people don't necessarily have. There were a couple of times when I was left guessing, and I must have guessed wrong Thanks for taking the time to reply, John :-)
    Many ROM files are flashable in recovery. It is also possible there was a bad flash.
    In recovery, you would leave the .zip files alone. Android can read them.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    nenevw likes this.
    10-11-2013 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD