Stock browser gone?!?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Droid Bionic and my stock browser just poofed. Everything was working fine, including the browser, until I rebooted my phone. The reboot went normal, but when I tapped the browser app icon on my home screen, it says the app isn't installed. It also no longer shows up in my app drawer. I did find it listed in the manage app settings, so tried clearing the cache and another reboot with no luck. So then I tried to uninstall the updates and got a message asking if I wanted to revert to the factory stock app. I said yes, and then it disappeared from the manage apps settings too. Another reboot and still nothing but the non-functioning icon on my home screen.

I haven't updated anything or downloaded anything recently except a couple known apps from the Play store, and wasn't visiting any suspicious websites, so I'm not thinking it's malware or anything like that. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's a simple fix or can find the apk for it online somewhere, but not going to be near my computer for a while.

And before anyone suggests trying another browser, I've tried several in the past and I prefer the stock one over anything else. That would be a last ditch plan for me right now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Try wiping the system cache partition (no important data will be lost):

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    1. Press and hold the Power button (located on the top edge).
    2. Select Power off.
    3. Select OK.
    linote.gif
    If the device doesn't respond to input, remove and replace the battery.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Up/Down keys the press the Power button until the Boot Mode Selection Menu appears then release all keys / buttons.
  3. Press the Volume Down key to select Recovery then press the Volume Up key.
  4. From the Droid triage screen:
    1. Press and hold Volume down.
    2. Press and release Volume up.
    3. Release Volume down.
  5. Select wipe cache partition.
    linote.gif
    Utilize the volume keys to highlight and the Power button to select.
  6. When complete, select reboot system now and press Power to execute.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not disabled. And actually it is now showing up again in the manage apps screen, but showing 0Mb for all storage and data space used. The uninstall updates and force stop buttons are lit up, but I've tried those earlier and you saw where that put me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any other system apps disabled? I'm not aware of anything else that the Browser relies on, but might be worth re-enabling all system apps to see if that does anything.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted and just looked in my system/app folder and found the stock browser apk in there. I tried to install and it goes through the permissions check and letting me know it's a system app and if I want to replace it. It starts the installation process, but at the end, it just says "App not installed" and a button to click that says done. No other error messages are shown. Think it may be a data corruption issue that made it non-functioning?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could help. I'm pretty useless when it comes to rooted devices. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes