11-14-2013 10:41 AM
30 12
tools
    I have installed Google Chrome on my tablet and phone so I can save & access bookmarks across devices (including my laptop)..
    At first it was great and was quickly learning how to manage the bookmarks across the devices.
    But recently its been playing up on both phone & tablet, & at around the same time. I'm wondering if they are a bit too big.
    Its got so bad that now I give up & use the default browser.

Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app
    10-29-2013 01:26 AM
    Chrome can be a bit of a memory and resource hog, so on less powerful devices, it can slow things down. The stock Browser can usually sync with your desktop Chrome bookmarks. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google/[your Google account] and see if "Browser" appears there. If so, make sure it's checked, and your Chrome bookmarks should get synced with the stock Browser. At least, that's what I've been able to do on my Razr Maxx, Asus TF300, and my old Acer A500 and A100.
    Nana Helen likes this.
    10-29-2013 02:32 AM
    Ta. Is that the main device settings?
    Iv checked both the main device settings and the default browser, but exactly as you said.
    In both the settings there is information that I think could be similar or the same that can tell you?

10-29-2013 03:51 AM
    It's the main System Settings.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-29-2013 12:35 PM
    No it hasn't got browser YES IT HAS!!!

Its got browser ticked

10-29-2013 12:49 PM
    Dunno if this is the best idea but you could try another browser, such as Firefox, Dolphin, Opera Mini, etc. Then you could maybe export your bookmarks from Chrome into the alternate browser?

I've been using Firefox which works pretty well. On my old devices I only used the stock browser in both Gingerbread and ICS, and I had problems with it. But now I can access and manage web forms better in Firefox.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    10-29-2013 12:55 PM
    I found it did have browser after all.
    My tablet is jelly bean, but my phone is gingerbread.
    The default browser works fine but I want a way to save and access bookmarks

10-29-2013 01:04 PM
    Something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.bookmarks

Nana Helen likes this.
    10-29-2013 01:42 PM
    I found it did have browser after all.
    My tablet is jelly bean, but my phone is gingerbread.
    The default browser works fine but I want a way to save and access bookmarks

So if your stock Browser is synced, what do you see when you bring up the bookmarks?

Nana Helen likes this.
    10-29-2013 01:50 PM
    So if your stock Browser is synced, what do you see when you bring up the bookmarks?

I feel very silly
    The stock browser on my tablet is fine, I just needed to sign in. Its got my book marks, I've just gota play around with it to work out how it all works. But that's cool.
    I remember that I could save bookmarks on the phone stock browser, but I couldn't work out how to access them. But sometimes I'd find them by accident, so I know they're there.
    At the moment I can't even find how to bookmark, but I'm tired. So I'll play with it later then see if its synced, or will sync, with the laptop bookmarks.

It will take quite a time to do this prob, so if I've got more questions, shall I just put in a new post?

Thanks guys

10-29-2013 08:47 PM
    Something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.bookmarks

I had a quick look at the happy app. Once I understand the bookmarks syncing etc I will def look at that. Very low mb's too!
    Then I will be happy, my phone & tablet will be happy, & the happy app will be happy lol.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-29-2013 09:22 PM
    I'm sure there are other apps too that will do that. I'm glad you found your bookmarks in the stock browser. :thumbup:

Nana Helen likes this.
    10-29-2013 09:43 PM
    It will take quite a time to do this prob, so if I've got more questions, shall I just put in a new post?

Thanks guys

I would just keep going with the questions, so long as they are about the Browser. If not, you could either make a new post, or just ask away.
    Nana Helen likes this.
    10-29-2013 11:40 PM
    If I may jump in because I have a similar question... Is there a way to transfer Chrome bookmarks to the stock browser without online sync? My built in stock browser on my Bionic went poof after a reboot and now settling on a 3rd party AOSP "stock" browser. That browser doesn't have a built in Google sync option via the web, and an app I tried to use to manually import the bookmarks from online didn't see them uploaded from Chrome (I tried but didn't like it, but still have the bookmarks). If I go to my main Google account, I see the uploaded bookmarks, but if I go to www.Google.com/bookmarks like the app said to see what is available to download to the browser, the page is empty and only lets me add bookmarks manually. I don't use Chrome on my desktop either, so using it to online sync also isn't an option. I'd like to just move them from a Chrome folder to an AOSP browser folder, but looks like it's not that simple.

I can manually C&P the urls without much problem since I don't have a ton, but still time consuming. That would be my last resort I guess.
    10-30-2013 06:05 AM
    What exactly happened to your stock Browser? Is it gone, or does it just not function correctly? Any chance it might have gotten disabled?

10-31-2013 06:27 PM
    I posted about it in its own thread titled, "Stock browser gone?!?!" You did try to help with getting it back, but so far the only answer I've found has been a reset. I almost thought the app got corrupted, but I found a way to try reinstalling it by itself, but it won't install. So I'm on that other AOSP browser now.
    10-31-2013 06:50 PM
    Oh, sorry. Your issue did sound familiar!

10-31-2013 08:24 PM
    10-31-2013 08:45 PM
    I would just keep going with the questions, so long as they are about the Browser. If not, you could either make a new post, or just ask away.
    My stock browser is crap! Its so frustrating & not even consistent, even closes itself down sometimes!!
    I think I'll get a different one. Any suggestions?
    I really need to to sync my bookmarks though, I'm completely lost with my bookmarks at the moment.
    I might get a bookmark app too.
    Can they sync no matter what browsers are on each device?

11-11-2013 03:55 PM
    My stock browser is crap! Its so frustrating & not even consistent, even closes itself down sometimes!!
    I think I'll get a different one. Any suggestions?
    I really need to to sync my bookmarks though, I'm completely lost with my bookmarks at the moment.
    I might get a bookmark app too.

You can typically bookmark site within the browser. Dolphin, or Opera are another couple of good ones.
    11-11-2013 04:04 PM
    I looked around when I was changing browsers and found some suggestions to try, but nothing worked properly for me to port them all at once. I ended up taking someone else's suggestion on here and made shortcuts for all of my bookmarks on the home screen. Then click the shortcut and selected the new browser app when it asks which one to use. Once on the new browser, create a bookmark in it and delete the shortcuts. Can be a little time consuming, but wasn't too bad for my roughly 20 bookmarks and saved the time and headaches of trying different batch options.
    Nana Helen likes this.
    11-11-2013 04:14 PM
    I looked around when I was changing browsers and found some suggestions to try, but nothing worked properly for me to port them all at once. I ended up taking someone else's suggestion on here and made shortcuts for all of my bookmarks on the home screen. Then click the shortcut and selected the new browser app when it asks which one to use. Once on the new browser, create a bookmark in it and delete the shortcuts. Can be a little time consuming, but wasn't too bad for my roughly 20 bookmarks and saved the time and headaches of trying different batch options.
    I change bookmarks all the time though. I used to save links by bookmarking them, then later when I've checked it right out I might move it to Evernote, keep it as a bookmark if I want it handy or delete it if I've finished with it.

What do you do if your looking for information and u come across heaps of possible sites as well as links, then also see off topic things that you'd like to go back to sometime?

I was using Evernote & that was working well until they changed the whole look of it. This happened around the same time as some other apps had major changes. I'm still struggling with them, and not really using them much yet.

11-11-2013 05:01 PM
    I don't change bookmarks often, so it's not much of a problem for me. Understandable my suggestion may not work for you.
    11-11-2013 05:54 PM
    I don't change bookmarks often, so it's not much of a problem for me. Understandable my suggestion may not work for you.
    Thanks anyway.

If u hear of any that sound like what I might be able to use, keep me in mind.

11-11-2013 09:47 PM
    You can typically bookmark site within the browser. Dolphin, or Opera are another couple of good ones.
    Ta. I'm jotting down any that have been mentioned, highlighting those that are being used by the poster or recommended.

The stock browsers on my tablet and phone both pick up my Google bookmarks, but the actual browser is playing up - jumping to old searched pages, opening tabs I hadn't created, turning itself off etc. So I can't even check to see if I can find them, if they've synced properly, edit. Then I wanted to play around to see if I can use it effectively.

But my tablet screen is still playing up too. Think I'll have to do the factory reset, & if that doesn't fix it I'll hav to take it back. :rolleyes:

11-11-2013 10:17 PM
30 12