Hi,

I've tried or eliminated these eBook readers:

1. Fabrik (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=es.icereader), It syncs book reading state well, books themselves not so well and will try to sync when app re-entered if original sync failed (or anytime really). It doesn't try to do in background which is what I'd like and the reason I'm looking for an alternative. I like this reader best in general, but infrequent updates.
    2. Moon+ Reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.moonreader). It syncs book reading state but not books. It will NOT retry resync if the sync fails which mean your books will become unsynced if you have a poor or no network at the time. The poor syncing is the main why I am looking for an alternative to this reader, but also lack of forums and author support is also an issue. The book state is not stored on SDCARD so no option to back it up myself.
    3. Mantano Ebook Reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.android.lite), needs subscription to its own cloud service ruling it out for me.
    4. FBReader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ary.ui.android) looks good but no sync.
    5. Aldiko (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aldiko.android), requires root to sync (since they disabled sync by 3rd party apps without ROOT), which is when I stopped using it. They don't seem to want to provide their own which looks nasty to me.

Just to make my requirements obvious:
    • I don't want to root to get sync
    • I actually don't care so much about sync but I want at least automatic backup of the state off my phone..
    • I want at LEAST the book state synced to a cloud service like DropBox or Google Drive
    • I would prefer the ebooks synced also and added to bookshelf & synced automatically with a cloud service like DropBox or Google Drive.
    • Actually if the book state were stored on SDCARD I'd be happy to back it up myself.
    • I don't care if the program directly supports sync or it lets the cloud service do so.

Any suggestions for a reader that stores book state on SDCARD or has a robust sync mechanism that doesn't assume you have a perfect network connection and no server outages 100% of the time?

Thanks
    Dennis
    11-02-2013 09:53 PM
    i hope you find something.

have you considered down grading to version 2.1 of aldiko and using aldiko sync via dropbox?
    11-03-2013 10:02 AM
    You eleminated Kindle and Google Books?
    At least Kindle let you upload your own books AND will sync them.
    Of course, it's also a question of ebook formats.
    11-03-2013 11:39 AM
    I don't want to use 3G data to sync books etc and my tablet is wifi only.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2013 05:23 PM
    I don't want to use 3G data to sync books etc and my tablet is wifi only.
    Kindle syns also on WiFi like other cloud services ... the Kindle tablets have as basis version WiFi only.

BTW, since Kindle has readers for most platforms you'd even save all your books e.g. on your PC as your personal back up.

But okay, Kindle's downside is its proprietary ebook format
    11-04-2013 01:09 AM
    I am in a similar dilemma. This is what I am expecting:

A single e-book reader like moon+ or fabrik that can read both epub and mobi files.

Reader that connects to that specific folder on my Dropbox account which has all of my book collection saved in it.

Automatically scans that Dropbox folder for all the e-books and display them neatly in a shelf of 4 to 5 thumbnails per row just as it would display books that are saved on my phone's internal memory.

Gives me an option to cherry pick a book from my bookshelf. Once selected it should then download it to my device for offline reading and sync all changes to that particular e-book file only once my device is back online (similar to Repligo PDF reader).

Since I am addicted to my SPen, I want to have a similar experience when reading an e-book like I do when reading a paper book. So I would like to be in a position wherein I can not only highlight the text but scribble my own hand written notes as I read along. I then want these notes to be permanently saved on the e-book file being read (similar to Repligo PDF reader). This was possible on Samsung's reader hub app but since that has been integrated with Samsung hub, ability to upload or read your own book saved on the device has been taken away. You can only read what you buy from their store unfortunately. Although, cloud sync was not possible with Reader's Hub too.

Is there a product in the market that meets my above expectations?
    02-17-2014 10:02 PM