Extremely unhappy with Galaxy S4...

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know this is going to be a long post, but please bear with me and feel free to offer any piece of advice you can.

So I bought a Galaxy S4 on an early upgrade 3 days ago and (stupidly, i know) allowed the Bell service guy persuade me into getting the S4. I was interested in the HTC One as well but it got pushed to the side. I came home and enjoyed the S4 for about 3 hours. After that I knew i made the wrong decision. My main gripe is the home button. It started to make crackling, double click sounds from just tapping it. It is about 2x worse as of today. I also have been experiencing extreme lag to the point where checking things quickly is just out of the picture. 8/10 games have crashed after install. And lastly, the phone will randomly reboot at least twice a day.

Bell told me I have 14 days and under 50mb of data to return the phone. Again, stupidly, when I got home i figured the phone would be alright and went ahead and downloaded all my apps. Well over 50mb. I am at the point of complete frustration and anger with this phone. I am going to call Bell again and demand some sort of return, even if they have to waive the data thing. I refuse to send my phone for repair for 2 weeks JUST after buying it, and being this unhappy with it.

Phew. If you have made it this far, I praise you.

So my question is, has anyone gone through something like this? And has your service provider given you a refund after demanding one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
50mb of data? What kind of draconian restriction is that?! We don't see that in the US that I'm aware of. That's like downloading 2 or 3 icons (facetious). If you don't like the phone take it back and let them know a great mistake has been made and you want another device.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Second.

I've never heard of a data limit with regards to returning a phone. I'd try to return it and see what happens. The noise that's getting worse sounds like a defective phone, rather than a bad choice of model, and surely they have some sort of warranty against defects.

Good luck.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's defective, they should definitely replace it for you. Did you buy any insurance with it? That would give you extra protection.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
50mb of data? What kind of draconian restriction is that?! We don't see that in the US that I'm aware of. That's like downloading 2 or 3 icons (facetious). If you don't like the phone take it back and let them know a great mistake has been made and you want another device.

Yes it is ridiculous, I know. I downloaded all of them via WiFi but I am 90% sure they told me that it counts whether it be WiFi or cellular data.

Second.

I've never heard of a data limit with regards to returning a phone. I'd try to return it and see what happens. The noise that's getting worse sounds like a defective phone, rather than a bad choice of model, and surely they have some sort of warranty against defects.

Good luck.

Thank you. The noise is definitely a defect, I had the EXACT same problem with the home button on my IPhone 5 and had to get it replaced by Apple.

It's defective, they should definitely replace it for you. Did you buy any insurance with it? That would give you extra protection.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

I bought an insurance with it yes. It's something like an extra $7 a month and if there is any PHYSICAL, CONSUMER CAUSED damage to the phone they will replace the entire phone for around $100 - $150. Since this is a defect, I will definitely try to get it replaced. I will post back with (hopefully) some good news later.

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, back with a bit of an update. Figured I'd post right down to the final result so this thread can be of future use hopefully.

I called Bell, twice actually because the first person I spoke to was very unhelpful. Anyway. I basically explained to the second person how unhappy I am with the phone and let her know each problem I was having. A finicky home button, wobbly micro USB, and random reboots was thankfully enough for her to understand that I had a defected phone.

Because I (and what a shocker... -_-) was over 30 minutes call time and 50mb of data, It will be hard for me to get a replacement. The representative said to go into the same Bell store that I purchased the phone and explain to them what I told her. If I'm lucky, I can claim for DOA or consumers remorse and see if they waive the talk time/data. If given a hard time, I was told to speak with a manager and basically demand a replacement.

If all that doesn't work, I can call Samsung and see what they can do. Doubt it would be much though.

Sigh... I will go into a store tomorrow and post back the results. Fingers crossed :-\

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Good luck! When you go, be polite but be persistent. I hope they'll give you a replacement.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure those restrictions are for "cold feet" issues, ie you just changed your mind and don't want the phone after all.

A warranty exchange for a non functioning phone is a while different matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

VegemiteKid

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Is the phone not under warranty? I am of the understanding that it comes with a 1-year warranty - and this is for manufacturing defects in the device. I'm not sure what the consumer laws are in the US, but in Australia, if a product is not "fit for purpose", then it must be repaired or replaced free of charge to the consumer. I'd say that the button fault makes the device not fit for purpose, and you would have no issues getting it replaced under warranty... I'd say that this company "Bell" are trying to run roughshod over you. If nothing else, try the Samsung dealer in your city; after all, Bell would have to go through them to replace/repair it anyway.

Best of luck.

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
This. ...and if you're helped by a woman tell her how beautiful she is...even if she's hairy and scary:

View attachment 89989

Hahah thank you for the laugh, nice knowing how positive the community here on AC is :D

Pretty sure those restrictions are for "cold feet" issues, ie you just changed your mind and don't want the phone after all.

A warranty exchange for a non functioning phone is a while different matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I think that makes alot of sense. Especially because most of my defects are hardware related.

- home button crackling and making pop noises
- battery gets WAY to hot from an overnight charge
- wobbly micro usb connection

And then there is the random reboots.

Is the phone not under warranty? I am of the understanding that it comes with a 1-year warranty - and this is for manufacturing defects in the device. I'm not sure what the consumer laws are in the US, but in Australia, if a product is not "fit for purpose", then it must be repaired or replaced free of charge to the consumer. I'd say that the button fault makes the device not fit for purpose, and you would have no issues getting it replaced under warranty... I'd say that this company "Bell" are trying to run roughshod over you. If nothing else, try the Samsung dealer in your city; after all, Bell would have to go through them to replace/repair it anyway.

Best of luck.

The phone yes, is under warranty. The thing is I REALLY don't want to send it out for a repair that will take a few weeks to get shipped out, repaired, and back. I mean for crying out loud, I just put down $300 for this thing and 3 days later I have to send it out? That to me is the definition of stupid. If this happened 3 months down the line, hell I would have no problem at all sending it out. I just hope they can simply realize what is wrong with it and swap it for a new one. Data/Minutes policies aside.

Sorry for the rant :p just venting. Thank you though, I will post another update tmmw.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hahah thank you for the laugh, nice knowing how positive the community here on AC is :D

I think that makes alot of sense. Especially because most of my defects are hardware related.

- home button crackling and making pop noises
- battery gets WAY to hot from an overnight charge
- wobbly micro usb connection

And then there is the random reboots.

The phone yes, is under warranty. The thing is I REALLY don't want to send it out for a repair that will take a few weeks to get shipped out, repaired, and back. I mean for crying out loud, I just put down $300 for this thing and 3 days later I have to send it out? That to me is the definition of stupid. If this happened 3 months down the line, hell I would have no problem at all sending it out. I just hope they can simply realize what is wrong with it and swap it for a new one. Data/Minutes policies aside.

Sorry for the rant :p just venting. Thank you though, I will post another update tmmw.

Excuse me, but I'm getting very aggravated reading this. Hell with being polite, I'd raise such a fuss they'd have to give me a new phone just to shut me up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

the mozz

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hope it works out. I really don't think you'll regret the phone itself if it wasn't a dud. And quite frankly, anything produced in that kind of volume will have some defects as a matter of probability.

The gs4 and one are both great phones, and both very capable. Each has ads and disads.

Hope you stayed calm and polite, and received help. Nothing worse than working customer service and being yelled at for following company protocol. (whether or not you agree with it.) people need to remember that when they are asking for an exception to be made, it is just that... An exception. Yelling or making a fuss will not make the representative more likely to help you out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AC Forums mobile app

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hope it works out. I really don't think you'll regret the phone itself if it wasn't a dud. And quite frankly, anything produced in that kind of volume will have some defects as a matter of probability.

The gs4 and one are both great phones, and both very capable. Each has ads and disads.

Hope you stayed calm and polite, and received help. Nothing worse than working customer service and being yelled at for following company protocol. (whether or not you agree with it.) people need to remember that when they are asking for an exception to be made, it is just that... An exception. Yelling or making a fuss will not make the representative more likely to help you out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AC Forums mobile app

I honestly don't have a problem with the phone. It has been phenomenal, it's just that these problems direct my attention away from the beautiful phone itself. I haven't actually gone yet, just getting ready to head out now. But I will try my best to be polite and request a replacement.

I heard of this happening with some S4's. call your carrier directly they will send you out a new one then you send the one you have back.

I actually called them first and they told me to go into the store. Go figure :/

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm finally back with an update guys! Just wanted to start by thanking every person who participated in this thread or offered advice. I greatly appreciate you all taking time to post in a thread like this :)

I went to my local Bell store and started off by letting the rep know that I've been having problems with the phone. I told her that I called the company twice and was told to go in and speak with someone about getting the phone replaced.

She then politely asked me what problems I was having, to which I told her and showed her (the micro USB wobbly issue). After looking at some paperwork, she told me that she would replace the phone without a hassle. She went back and grabbed a new one (in box and all) and proceeded to transfer my SIM and SD to the new phone. I also told her that I had a screen protector on the phone and she offered to give me a new one completely free.

I am extremely grateful I got a good rep and that she was understanding.

Anyways! I asked her if i could see the phone this time and check it over before taking it home. The phone was world's different than the one I had. The buttons were nice and solid, home button was tight, and the micro USB was completely snug. No wobble at all.

She also told me that because I am still within 14 days, if i have a problem with this phone as well then just bring it back in.

I am so pleased with the experience and with the new phone. Now I can truly appreciate the Galaxy S4 in all it's perfect glory :D Again, thank you all!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to hear it! The s4 was my first choice on my wish list but I couldn't afford it off contract. It's an awesome phone! :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2