Question on desktop web browsing!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I just found out by accident that the Android OS on a tablet only lets you browse using a mobile version unless you are using pure Google "Android" like in the Nexus 7. I found that you can switch from mobile to desktop with an option at the menu on top of the Nexus 7. But it start up again on the mobile version. Is there an option that you can set up in the setting menu to default always to the desktop?

I trying out Samsung, LG and Kindle 7" and could not change it to desktop format.

What size tablet is required to have a desktop web browsing screen appear?

Is there away to do it in the setup of these other tablets or can you do it with an Android "app".

Coming from both a Windows phone and Apple iPad environment.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can force a desktop version by default, but maybe I can clarify something for you. The size of tablet doesn't affect what version of a website you see. The site checks what type of browser you're using, I.e. a mobile one like on Android, then sends the mobile version if it's setup to do so. What you may need is a browser that essentially tricks a website into thinking it's a desktop browser. I don't know if that even exists as I haven't seen an app suitable for a similar problem I'm having.

I usually like a mobile version of sites on my phone, but occasionally I like to switch to desktop. Some websites will ignore the desktop view request and only show the mobile version. To paraphrase a comic I heard about...

Server: Hey, I see you're on a mobile browser. Check out our spiffy mobile site version! :D

Phone: That's nice, but I'd like the full version, please.

Server: Hey, I see you're on a mobile browser. Check out our spiffy mobile site version! :D

Phone: :rolleyes:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most browsers (including the stock Android Browser and Chrome) will have an option in their menu for something like "Request desktop site." If you dig deeper in the settings, you might also find an option for "User agent," which is how you can set the default for how your browser requests pages (i.e., as a mobile site or as a desktop site). However, with some sites, even if you request the desktop site, it might still force the mobile site. In this situation, scroll down to the bottom of that mobile site and see if there's a link that says "Full Site." That should bring you to the full desktop site.

Posted via Android Central App

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank for the feedback. I going to ask an acquaintance that is an Android fanatic to see if be has a suggest. I think maybe a different web browser might be key.

I going to see if he has a couple of web browsers on his tablet and I will try them out to see if I can set one to desktop format.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A few good 3rd party browsers are Dolphin, Boat Browser, and Maxthon. Give them a try.

Posted via Android Central App

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Dolphin and set the user agent to desktop. This works great on my Note 3 and helps me take advantage of that big 1080p screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781