How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

Paul Key

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

I tried everything listed in this thread, and I couldn't figure out how to remove an imap account I created. I had moved the account from one hosted email provider to another. I suspect that there was no option to delete it because it was the only account I had. It finally occurred to me to simply edit the settings of that account to reflect the settings for the new provider. Then it occurred to me that I might have synced all of the email on my phone with my new account, which I hope didn't happen because I had already migrated all of the email over, and I don't want a bunch of duplicates! That doesn't appear to have happened, though. Hope this helps someone.

Code Breaker

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

I tried everything listed in this thread, and I couldn't figure out how to remove an imap account I created. I had moved the account from one hosted email provider to another. I suspect that there was no option to delete it because it was the only account I had. It finally occurred to me to simply edit the settings of that account to reflect the settings for the new provider. Then it occurred to me that I might have synced all of the email on my phone with my new account, which I hope didn't happen because I had already migrated all of the email over, and I don't want a bunch of duplicates! That doesn't appear to have happened, though. Hope this helps someone.
Here's what i did:
Settings(phone settings not the settings in email) > Accounts
Tap that account you want to delete, now you can see the account which has a sync is off or on below it then tap it
Tap the menu and their you have a option to remove the account

nkru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

This solved my problem, thank you!

Aravind M

May 16, 2014
Visit site

Setting > Account > Google > Account > email id > Action overflow (menu) > remove account

Anirudha Limaye

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

perfectly working

go to main settings -> Account -> Corporate -> You will see all the added accounts -> Click on one which you want to remove -> go to setting menu (rightmost corner) -> remove account

Tindrum21

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

Just removed an account and it's quite easy. Just go to 'Settings' scroll down to 'Accounts' and chose the type of account you need to remove, i.e. Google, IMAP or POP. In my case I wanted to change an account from IMAP to POP but haven't worked that one out yet. when you open the account type it shows the accounts you have. Tap the menu button on the phone (bottom left) and the option to delete account comes up.
I hope this helps others.

gopalanrc

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

'Clear Data' removes the configured email account

Jackamason

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

To make a long story short, first I had to go to Settings -> Security -> Device Administrators, select the email account and remove the administration privilege.

Superb, thank you! I was trying to "Clear Data" from the email app but the buttons were blanked out. After removing the Admin rights, i could clear data and all was good.

xk56gu

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Just a note about an exchange account being device administrator, on mine it also greyed out the lock screen options except for password and pin. It broke a tasker profile I was using so I deleted the account and I now have exchange accounts running through OWA mail app. It has it's own security and doesn't need device administrator.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Just a note about an exchange account being device administrator, on mine it also greyed out the lock screen options except for password and pin. It broke a tasker profile I was using so I deleted the account and I now have exchange accounts running through OWA mail app. It has it's own security and doesn't need device administrator.

Yeah, that's a setting that is enforced by your exchange server. My preferred app is Nine.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&token=v_ycVfAj

It allows you to restrict the remote wipe to only clear the application data and not your own phone data.

geekgirlx

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

This has been driving me nuts for the last 2 hours. I just had to get a new phone because my USB connector was destroyed, and suddenly I have to re-setup the entire phone. I have a gmail account that is the primary on this phone, but I don't use it for email...I am a web developer, so I have several mailboxes I use, and the last thing I need is another one. So, even though the phone is set up with a google mail address, I never access the email - I just use it to backup and sync other items. And, of course, I made the mistake of setting up this email in the mail client and I couldn't delete it.

All the delete options above seem to involve corporate settings (I don't have a corporate phone) or having to eliminate EVERYTHING with the account - contacts, etc - which I want to keep.

My solution?

Go to the App Info for the email client, and you'll see an option to "clear all data" from the App. This will delete all the accounts in the email client, without deleting the primary from the phone. From there, I just setup my emailboxes again - without the primary email.

jason49mac

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

That was easy..
Well once you knew where to look.
Being a pensioner without access to any corporate accounts I would never have thought of going there.
Most Email apps have the Add/Remove within themselves, or used to. Shows what happens when retire lol

psst: Ex VMS/Unix/win/JCL/DCL guru - not :D

Hineshm

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Furball50 #16, your answer solved the problem for me! :)

Mannypl

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for this. Selecting All apps then email, clear cache, then clear data worked.

ThatAintWorking

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site

There is no remove option on the three-dots menu for exchange accounts!!! There doesn't seem to be any remove option at all anymore for exchange accounts. Once you add an exchange account, you are stuck with it FOREVER!!! They probably let Microsoft write that feature.

Ummi yusuf

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

Setting > Account > Google > Account > email id > Action overflow (menu) > remove account

Thank you very much. This solved my problem of removing an email address.
Much appreciated

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX