Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

forenuser

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Moin Moin, Sal?!

Like some others i switched, thanks to HP, from a (rooted) Palm Pr? to an (currently unrooted) Nexus S. And like the others i am missing some features and applications.

But before asking i want to thank for this guide helping me out in some points. However, not in all points - or i just missed the points. Sometimes too much choice is just not too helpfull...

Has anyone found a alternative app for "Comics". The most comparable app i found is "Comic Reader", but it seems to provide just english comics.

Further more i am looking for an app like "Music Remix". I am almost happy with the default Musik app but it is annoying that i can not Play, Pause, Stop or Skip on the lock screen. Is there a patch fixing that or an alternative app? Perhaps combined with a web radio and alarm app? For this i found "TuneIn" (free version) on the Nexus. But it can handle just one alarm set and, of course, can not be used with screen locked. Or will the Pro-Version help here?

And last for now i am looking for a fix or alternative app for the Contact app. The contacts can not be put in and sorted by groups, which i found annoying. Some suggestions anyone?

That's for now. General i would be happy if the apps or patches would be free (or trails) and keeping my privacy.
And i want to excuse for my english. It could be improved and i do not want to insult anyone...

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering)

*Edit:
I hope my questions are right placed here as i just found the Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g..?

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...Has anyone found a alternative app for "Comics"...
...Further more i am looking for an app like "Music Remix"...
...The contacts can not be put in and sorted by groups...
I don't know a replacement for Comics.

The developer of Music Player Remix is here now using PowerAmp.

The Nexus S is missing 23 basic features like contract groups but I found partial workarounds:
Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds

No other Android is missing all the basic feature the Nexus S is missing.

Reactions: forenuser

forenuser

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this!

"PowerAMP" is exactly what i was looking for! Turned off the equalizer, tried the lock screen control and got the full version.. That's how it should be!

Also many thanks for the contact suggestion. My start with "Go Contacs" was a bit struggeling but now i got it and it's working (and sorting) fine.

Best Regard's!

GridIron21

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of those people who jumped from webOS to android, and I must say I still miss webOS sorely, especially because of the multitasking.. I did not realize how effective webOS's multitasking is until I was forced to try android and iOS. I have been searching for best multitasking app available to make my android experience better, and I have found one possible app, SPB Shell 3D, that could do ease the experience based on video of the app.. However since it is pricey and I am not sure how good it is. Thus I want to ask and see if anyone tried it out and liked it?

Btw my phone is Sprint Epic 4g, in case if the app doesn't work well with .. I realized it is kinda old phone after I bought it but it was one of few phones that have physically keyboard, video conferencing and 4g.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of those people who jumped from webOS to android, and I must say I still miss webOS sorely, especially because of the multitasking.. I did not realize how effective webOS's multitasking is until I was forced to try android and iOS. I have been searching for best multitasking app available to make my android experience better, and I have found one possible app, SPB Shell 3D, that could do ease the experience based on video of the app.. However since it is pricey and I am not sure how good it is. Thus I want to ask and see if anyone tried it out and liked it?

Btw my phone is Sprint Epic 4g, in case if the app doesn't work well with .. I realized it is kinda old phone after I bought it but it was one of few phones that have physically keyboard, video conferencing and 4g.

Yeah the WebOS is much better with multitasking. I still have my Palm Pre, but now I use it on my home WiFi network; instead of on Sprint. So I still get to see the differences between the WebOS and Android. Both mobile OS's are good at their own things, but I can see now how much both differ when it comes to apps. The WebOS has a few thousand, while Android has, I'm not even sure how many but its more then the WebOS has. I still love my Pre, but I don't miss the small number of WebOS apps.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Milo. This was absolutely fabulous to read. I just switched over (from Palm Pixi+ to Motorola Atrix2) on Sunday and I wish I had seen this thread BEFOREHAND. It would have alleviated most of my concerns. The few things that I can't do (or are more difficult to do) are completely DWARFED by the things I now can do. (e.g., swype, have a camera open in less than 5 seconds, etc.)

I am now on my way to check out PowerAmp! :D

fsandbeans

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I finally just gave up on palm after almost 20 years. I am just learning my way around my Droid Razr and you are absolutely the man! Thanks VERY much!!!

tlabetti

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My almost 2 years with a Pre+ are coming to an this weekend. Galaxy Nexus should arrive on Monday. Thanks for this guide it looks like it will be a big help.

Hopefully I can avoid mucking up the new phone with a bunch of duplicate contacts. Synergy was so great for contact management.

Holley2583

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Came over from webOS reluctantly with a used EVO Shift until Sprint comes out with a phone I like...I have not updated from froyo so I can root and get free tether. I just temp rooted and am now trying to find a free WiFi tether app that will work with my TouchPad as it will not work with Ad-hoc...any ideas? Also, I have checked out the "rooting, ROM, et" thread and am hoping I can use the auto-root method but haven't been able to open the program successfully. I'll keep tryin. I've been procrastinating as learning an entirely new platform can be frustrating. I'm using a windows 7 64bit machine, I have the SDK/ADB installed correctly, I believe...any links you think may guide me in the easiest direction is appreciated.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Came over from webOS reluctantly with a used EVO Shift until Sprint comes out with a phone I like...I have not updated from froyo so I can root and get free tether...
I too came over from a Pre. I rooted my Evo 4G because I thought I would have to to get the cool features. But on my Epic 4G Touch I found no need to root.

PdaNet and EasyTether Lite are popular apps to tether without root. Here is lots more on Tethering.

intelligen

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a podcast player that works even remotely as well as drPodder? Google Listen, BeyondPod, and the others I've tried don't even seem to work as advertised. I just want something that will automatically download new podcasts automatically every morning and let me play them easily. So far I've been lucky if the podcatchers I've tried would even download the list of new episodes automatically.

I've been trying really hard to like Android, but there's simply no comparison to webOS. I still use my Pre2 exclusively for listening to podcasts because everything I've tried on Android sucks. With the Pre2 firmware update that includes Skype calling, I'm tempted to switch back to the Pre+ or Pre2 for everything and only use the Droid for its wireless hotspot, camera, and GPS. I swear even my non-overclocked Pre+ was at least 2x-4x faster than my Droid X2, even on the X2's best day. The only thing I like better about the X2 are the larger screen, working GPS, and the much-improved call quality. The app selection is a little better, but most of the apps on Android are crap, aside from a handful of games and a couple productivity apps. The fact that I can't even do a 100% reliable full phone backup also irks me, because the only "solution" to the famous X2 reboot problem is a factory reset or a new phone.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the great intro. I will likely be moving from webOS to Android in a few months and really appreciate the effort you have put into this guide.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Need a Dr podder replacement. Amazing what android can do but amazed more so.by what it can't do given all the hype. On my statrosphere I have to use three email apps: Gmail, yahoo mail, and the stock email client for Hotmail because there isn't a standard email app like on webos. I have tried k9 but it feels too raw and buggy. This is 2012 and its a smartphone...don't understand how email is so weak on the device. I still am a webos fan at heart and keep my pre2 with me along with my touch pad...I am trying to keep an open mind about Android and some other operating systems...but some of the basic deficiencies are mind boggling.

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
For Dr podder replacement try Doggcatcher. I can from webOS and I love it. Works great. Also get presto plug in and you can increase playback to 1.5x w/o distorting voices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

xberserker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Finally making the jump from my launch day Palm Pre- (good bye sweet prince) to a monster HTC EVO 4G LTE.

One thing I love about the Palm Pre is the ability look at my locked or docked Pre and see my latest, email / text notifications without the need to unlock it.

Anyway to do this on Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome