Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of useful content listed here and it is laid out well. Though, I can see that the author has an AndroidOS bias. Which is fine. Techies tend to develope loyalties towards the tech gadgets that they love.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of useful content listed here and it is laid out well. Though, I can see that the author has an AndroidOS bias. Which is fine. Techies tend to develope loyalties towards the tech gadgets that they love.
I own a Pre and an EVO. This guide is written to suport an audiance coming from webOS to Android. I also wrote the Getting Started with webOS Guides at PreCentral supporting someone coming to webOS.

Reactions: pgreat

belvedere

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just switched from WebOS, missing these...

The thing that I am extremely missing is the Poor Man's Twitter Client patch. This gave the ability to tap a Twitter SMS message and could reply to a user, leave a user, go to their twitter page, and retweet the message. Because I can't do this, I am turning mobile notifications off. I will try to just use Tweetdeck...but I like doing most of twitter through the messaging app as it uses less battery.
I'm with you on this one.

sabra46

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

i am switching from a pixi- to the EVO SHift, thanks for all the tips and making me less apprehensive about the switch. Being that the screen on my pixi broke I have no way of transferring my memos and tasks, does anyone know how I can use the backup on my pc to transfer the files to my EVO?

anon(409656)

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This is a fantastic guide. Like so many above, it has made me less apprehensive about loosing my WebOS. (super)upgrading to the Photon, and i am finally looking forward to the change. I cut my teeth over on PreCentral, and AndroidCentral looks like it has a community that is just as helpful and passionate about the platform (and dont have to be doom and gloom at all times because of...ok too many things to list here)!

Reactions: milominderbinde

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a fantastic guide. Like so many above, it has made me less apprehensive about loosing my WebOS. (super)upgrading to the Photon, and i am finally looking forward to the change. I cut my teeth over on PreCentral, and AndroidCentral looks like it has a community that is just as helpful and passionate about the platform (and dont have to be doom and gloom at all times because of...ok too many things to list here)!
Thanks!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php
_
attachment.php

_ _ _ _ _ Palm Pre Main Launcher Screen _ _ _ _ _ EVO with Folders & Earth Live Wallpaper

If you are new to Android Central, Welcome! You might already be a member of our sister site, PreCentral(preware - simple root, patches - to make a simpler, better phone - QUICKER) .

The webOS Homebrew community has developed hundreds of patches to add features to "rooted" Palm Phones. Few were used by Palm, keeping webOS easy to set up. Google added hundreds of these features but that means that there are more options to set up initially. This guide will help you compare the differences and find key features.

← Click the Getting Started button at the top of every page will take you to the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks. There is help for everything including Keyboards, Applications, etc.

Synergy
Android automatically syncs your contacts and calendar with Facebook, Flickr, Google, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Microsoft Exchange. A friend's photos, status, name and number pops up when they call. If they update their Facebook profile, your Android is updated too. To set accounts to sync: Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync. Use Outlook Calendar Sync to sync with your Outlook calendar. See the Getting Started, Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync for more.

Transferring Contacts to Android
Here is how to Transfer webOS Contacts to Android.

Multitasking
Android Multitasking automatically saves your work when you go to another app. You can start an email, start a text, open a web page, listen to music, and you can go right back where you left off in the email. Long-press Home to see your last 8 Recent Apps.

Cards
If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, Itching Thumb or launchers like LauncherPro.

Themes
If you rooted your webOS device, you could install themes. With Android, you do not have to be rooted. Just use a launcher like LauncherPro to change icons, backgrounds, etc.

Folders: 3 Taps to 320 Apps
See Folders for details.
One of the most missed features from Palm Treo's is Folders. Android lets you sort your apps into Folders such as Tools, Multimedia, Games, etc. Tap Home > {Folder} > {App} for any of up to 256 apps.

Browser
See Internet Tips and Tricks for details.
Youd can double-tap on an Android brownser screen or pinch out to zoom.Android "re-flows" and "word-wraps" to fill the space so text is not cut off. Android uses the full screen. THere are dozen of popular Browsers to consider such as Dolphin or Opera
Click here for this example: Official webOS 1.4.5 Discussion.

Android also allows you to have multiple Browser cards open at a time: Tap Menu > Windows > + or long-press a link to open another window.

More Icons
The webOS 4x4 Icons patch allows 16 apps per screen. The Android Folder Organizer (free) app lets you have 4x6, 5x6, or 5x7 icons per screen, 20+ apps per folder, and change icons and labels without rooting.

Just Type (Universal Search)
webOS 2.0 Just Type is similar to Android Search and iPhone Spotlight. Tap Search and...
• Just type "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up.
• Just type "oliv" and your friend Oliva pops up along with local Olive Gardens.
Search also lets you choose what is included: Tap Home > menu > Settings > Search >Searchable Items.

Voice Search
Long-press the Search for Voice Actions to just say your command or search. (Introduction Video) You might say: "send text to Bill Byrne let's meet at 6 o'clock on fifth avenue outside the guggenheim museum". Also consider Vlingo. See Search for more.

Visual Voicemail
See Visual Voicemail for details. Tap here to see a sample.
Basic webOS Visual Voicemail apps are available but are limited. The screen below shows a typical Android Visual Voicemail screen with a slider, Play ►, Pause ll , and Delete. Tap Menu to text back or Forward a voicemail or save it to your SDcard.

microSD
Keep your favorite movies, music, and photos with you. Key to Backups. 16 GB ~$26 - 32 GB ~$55 & 64GB

HDMI/DLNA
HDMI and DLNA allows Android devices to output to HD TV or projector for home theater or business presentations.
HDMI: Standard to show a presentation, photos, or movie. Adapter cables allow VGA or RCA out.
DLNA: Standard wireless output to your newer Blue-ray, TV, PS3, etc.

Overclocking
Overclocking forces a phone to run faster than designed. Overclocking voids the warranty and can damage components. While rooted Androids can be overclocked, most already run at 1+ GHz and Android is very efficient. Facebook or Google Maps open on a Pre in about 11 seconds vs about 2 seconds on an EVO.

Notifications
Android Notifications are in the top bar and take up no screen space. Drag down to see them. In this case, you have missed a call, have 3 new email, have your GPS and 3G on with good signal and it is almost lunchtime.

Swipe the Notifications down and they stay on screen until you tap one or swipe the Notifications up to close them. The Missed Call apps lets you set different repeating sounds and vibrations for missed calls, emails, and texts. See Notifications for more.

Lockscreen Notifications
Apps like Executive Assistant (free) let you see and respond to individual notifications from the lock screen. In addition Executive Assistant allows you to set repeating reminders for missed calls, emails, texts, calendar events, and more. You can set customized sounds, vibrations, and LEDs for each. (Executive Assistant-No ad version, Details)

Key Apps
Here are a few more of the many Applications you may want to try.
Go Contacts lets you dial a middle part of a name or number. For 202-456-1414, you can dial "456" or "1414".
TouchPal Dialer lets you dial their initals for instance dial 2 for B, 6 for O for Barack Obama.
Email: K-9 Mail is way better than the stock email app. Get Touchdown if you need Microsoft Exchange support.
Messaging: Consider HandCent SMS or ChompSMS to replace the messaging app
Browsers: Consider great options like Dolphin or Opera
MyBackup Pro ($5) - Automatically backup messages, contacts, bookmarks, homescreens, alarms, dictionary, etc. Trial.
Folder Organizer (free) - Sets up folders, change icons, and increase from 4x4 icons to 4x6 or even 5x6. See: Folders
ASTRO File Manager : Install, run edit, & backup apps, etc. much like webOS Internalz
Brightness Level - With two taps, you can change your screen birghtness level.

Widgets
A widget is a live app icon on a homescreen. webOS has one widget: the Calendar app icon updates to show the date. Widgets can take the space of a single app icon or multiple icons. See the General Tips & Tricks for how to use widgets to set up an amazing control panel. Beware: some widgets take a lot of battery power. Here are some great Widgets to get you started.

Tajm - The amazing clock widget in words instead of numebrs shown above.
4887d1292344409-getting-started-android-tips-tricks-battery-status-notification-widget.png
Battery Status (free, Upgraded $1) - Puts the real battery percentage in the Notification Bar.
attachment.php
The Weather Channel - Puts the temperature in the Notification bar.
• Speed Dial Widget: Folder Organizer (free), GO Contacts (iPhone theme), MeContacts, or QDial.
Battery Left Widget - Estimates battery time left.
Today Widget - Day and date in a 1x1 widget. ($1 Pro version has color options)
• Curvefish: • WiFi On-OffBluetooth On-OffGPS On-Off
Volume Button Controller – All the volume levels in one place.

Live Wallpaper
Live Wallpaper is animated. The Earth rotates, grasses wave, clouds billow, stars move, fish swim, water ripples, and little robots dance. Practical uses include live GPS and weather maps.

Touchstone
The Touchstone, Powermat, Enerergizer Wireless Charger, and Duracell myGrid are accessories that allow wireless inductive charging (based on Nikola Tesla's induction patents).

Touch-To-Share
TTS is a type of Proximity Transfer allowing two devices to transfer information. HP Touch-to-share (TTS) transfers URLs between two HP devices sharing the same profile (Engadget). Bump transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between any two iPhones or Androids. Near Field Communication offers much more.

Other Considerations
Different Android phones offer many other features:
Screen Sizes: 3", 4", 5", 7", or 10" screens.
Storage: 32 GB microSD card option
Camera: 5 to 8 MP or more, Autofocus, Digital Zoom, Effects
Video Chat: Front camera for Video Conferencing
FM Radio, compass, etc.

If this helped you, please click ↓
attachment.php
Thanks! BUT Nexus is no PRE.
- not intuitive
- problematic in spite of 'by google design'
- give me an %$#&* break - it impossible to close an ap without an app? AND THAT APP VIOLATES THE SPIRIT OF GOOGLE DESIGN???????????

ie. I am playing a song on Amazon - but do not want to trash my battery, so I open winamp and NOW both songs play??????????/ PRE - NO ISSUE, if it was - fix is 'ONE FLICK'

ps I am business person with employees and I am not going back to HP anytime soon, no interest in Apple AND I love most of Nexus / Google - but seriously lacking. I use the music example an example - it is not my big aggravation. My BIG aggravation is that IT WAS 10 TIMES EASIER TO USE PRECENTRAL to make my ancient Pre work in the car, for biz, for fun, for one hand - than it is to make the nexus work. I have spend months with the different launchers, going clean, going google, going adw .... zeam ... the best seems to be GO - but why is it crashing the more powerful hardware and eating battery and SOOO hard to use?!?!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
And PS - I have reset and worked on 3 different NEXUS S 4gs - as I have the benefit of trying to set up employee phones - the old spare, 'weak' 'girlie man' pixie was intuitive to our non smart phone 20 year old aupaire from Europe and the Nexus? - use Google voice with sprint and get 5 text., tones, alerts ... etc for every call ? msg? in/out ????

I love the transcription so much ... that I keep reading the forums trying to make it work ... but the one widget is abominable.

Sort of sorry for the rant - but this is months of frustration ... and I have been a smartphone, palm user - bleeding edge guy since the first palm or for that matter Tandy computer ... Palm sucked at marketing, HP got slow ... but they made something work easy and YES better than apple.

The BS of sprint/HP (silence) and inability of either to talk straight, the lack of the right biz apps, pushed me to android - but there has to a better way? Can google not make the google experience a little less MS DOS like? Powerful maybe - but I need an IT department that hangs out here to get it done. ... :-\:confused::mad:

PS my old palm pro rocking SPB Mobile Shell and win 6.1 was 'a better experience' for getting business done ...

Reactions: dorelse

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My Pre finally died after two years. Lack of WebOS support, new phones (where is Pre 3?) etc. from HP, Palm and Sprint forced me to switch to Android. Love my new Nexus S 4G. Great phone but sorry, WebOS is light years ahead of Android or iOS.

Several here mentioned how they didn't like being stuck with the WebOS launcher and how easy it is to customize on Android. WebOS is far easier to customize anyway you wish. Most homebrew tweeks no longer require rooting the Pre so easy even for the novice.

Is there an Android launcher that can wrap icon text to two lines rather than truncate at 6-8 characters or so? WebOS by default is two lines but tweeks could change the font size to help even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy