Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Very helpful. i'm finally leaving my Palm Pre (*tear*) b/c Sprint finally got an Android i really want (moto X). I sure will miss that web os but i seriously can't wait to experience something new, and have no idea what i'm walking into, so thanks for this thread. Perfect. : )!!!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Very helpful. i'm finally leaving my Palm Pre (*tear*) b/c Sprint finally got an Android i really want (moto X). I sure will miss that web os but i seriously can't wait to experience something new, and have no idea what i'm walking into, so thanks for this thread. Perfect. : )!!!

Oh man! I salute you for hanging for so long with the beloved Palm Prē!

I jumped ship to Android back in September 17 2011 when I got the Photon 4G. And this year in July 1 I got the Galaxy S4.

Even though I left my beloved Prē for the Photon I kept on using it from time to time just to keep my gesture loving fingers and my love for real multitasking happy!

I also have 2 PalmPads (TouchPads) one is mine and the other is my wife's. They still have WebOS, we're not planning to install anything else on them!

Anyway, welcome and have fun :thumbup::D:beer:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh man! I salute you for hanging for so long with the beloved Palm Prē!

I jumped ship to Android back in September 17 2011 when I got the Photon 4G. And this year in July 1 I got the Galaxy S4.

Even though I left my beloved Prē for the Photon I kept on using it from time to time just to keep my gesture loving fingers and my love for real multitasking happy!

I also have 2 PalmPads (TouchPads) one is mine and the other is my wife's. They still have WebOS, we're not planning to install anything else on them!

Anyway, welcome and have fun :thumbup::D:beer:

It's amazing how lovable the pre is. :D. I was just in sprint yesterday and the guy helping me was quite nostalgic about the pre and palm in general. Oh palm.

thanks for the welcome. So excited. : ).

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea... unfortunately stupid Leo Idioteker and stupid HP drowned Palm into the Ocean! :banghead::mad:

I hope they also sink into the deep blue! :thumbup::D:beer::beer::D

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea... unfortunately stupid Leo Idioteker and stupid HP drowned Palm into the Ocean! :banghead::mad:

I hope they also sink into the deep blue! :thumbup::D:beer::beer::D

haha, yes. agreed. them and their ****ty computers. hateful!!

Actually, the moto x i'm about to get kinda reminds me of that little palm, i just noticed this, :D
google-moto-x-in-use-635.jpg

and here i was wondering whether to get the black or white. DUH!

okay, i hate to sound crazy, but this cannot get into my house fast enough. lol.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
haha, yes. agreed. them and their ****ty computers. hateful!!

Actually, the moto x i'm about to get kinda reminds me of that little palm, i just noticed this, :D
http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/google-moto-x-in-use-635.jpg

and here i was wondering whether to get the black or white. DUH!

okay, i hate to sound crazy, but this cannot get into my house fast enough. lol.

Lol :D

You know, instead of waiting to see what Motorola brought to the table, I went with the Galaxy S4 because Motorola also burned me :mad:

They promised to give us Android ICS on our Photons and they backed out at the last moment! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've used many Motorola devices in my life, but now I don't think I'll ever believe in them again.

So no more Motorola or HP devices for me!!! :cool:

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol :D

You know, instead of waiting to see what Motorola brought to the table, I went with the Galaxy S4 because Motorola also burned me :mad:

They promised to give us Android ICS on our Photons and they backed out at the last moment! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've used many Motorola devices in my life, but now I don't think I'll ever believe in them again.

So no more Motorola or HP devices for me!!! :cool:

Help me out. Does android still suck at multitasking? i'm getting cold feet. Let me re-phrase, is it still not as good as web o/s at it? I might just check in with Sprint to see if I can back down to Sero without the data fee if i don't like the experience, since I have to up my plan $10 to go to Moto X. This way if I don?t like Android I can no harm no foul back down. I realize, man, my palm pre is pretty fast even though it's thinking a little too hard lately, so while i gain in speed, I have a new Palm Pre in my drawer that will be pretty fast, and I just read through this full thread and am a little concerned. These are the 4 things I?m worried about:

1. Multi-tasking. (I think I?ll go check this out in a phone store tonight).
2. Getting all your email put into one place.
3. being able to swipe delete through your emails.
4. beautiful music player.

I won?t even get into the notifications. *smh*. Maybe someone can alter the active notifications to include more info.

Manhattan doesn?t have LTE yet, so I don?t gain there. The only things I really really want is to be able to take photos of checks in order to deposit. And now I want to talk to my phone without touching it. But it?s a real toss up with all the things I lose.

Last edited:

fritzk3

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I just went from a VERY old and worn out Palm Pre to an HTC One a couple of weeks ago. I'm still getting used to Android. Some things I like better, and some things still can't compare to webOS.

In my opinion:
- webOS notification behavior was much better. webOS notifications told you what you needed to know, and otherwise got out of the way and stayed out of the way. Also, behavior of notifications, like swiping them away, was much more consistent in webOS.
- In particular, the mail notification behavior in Android drives me crazy - if you have only one new email in an account, your only choice with that notification is to go directly into the message! Unlike webOS, where you could tap the icon to go into the Inbox but not directly to the message.
- The card view in webOS, to me, was a better way of switching between apps. I'm still struggling a bit with the way Android does it. webOS just had it right when it came to that.

Some pros for Android:
- MUCH richer ecosystem of apps - things you can actually use with other phone users
- Bigger screen
- Faster, more responsive phone
- Better web browser
- Better "social" phone, if you're into apps like Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, etc.
- More tweakability because of the openness of Android - custom ROMs, launchers, etc.

I was sad to leave webOS, since I new the OS so well, but there was just no future in it that I could see. So, I'm trying to make the best of it by going to the phone OS that's at least somewhat tweakable. I wasn't about to become an iClone!

Give it a try; if nothing else, you can return the phone within 14 days if you find that you hate it.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
- More tweakability because of the openness of Android - custom ROMs, launchers, etc.

You're kidding, right? Especially if you had some of the better patches like the ones from Sconix and the ultimate calendar patch. Applying themes was easier. Really wish Android had something like Homebrew and PreWare. It was also nice that you didn't have to root your device since it was already rooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just went from a VERY old and worn out Palm Pre to an HTC One a couple of weeks ago. I'm still getting used to Android. Some things I like better, and some things still can't compare to webOS.

In my opinion:
- webOS notification behavior was much better. webOS notifications told you what you needed to know, and otherwise got out of the way and stayed out of the way. Also, behavior of notifications, like swiping them away, was much more consistent in webOS.
- In particular, the mail notification behavior in Android drives me crazy - if you have only one new email in an account, your only choice with that notification is to go directly into the message! Unlike webOS, where you could tap the icon to go into the Inbox but not directly to the message.
- The card view in webOS, to me, was a better way of switching between apps. I'm still struggling a bit with the way Android does it. webOS just had it right when it came to that.

Some pros for Android:
- MUCH richer ecosystem of apps - things you can actually use with other phone users
- Bigger screen
- Faster, more responsive phone
- Better web browser
- Better "social" phone, if you're into apps like Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, etc.

I was sad to leave webOS, since I new the OS so well, but there was just no future in it that I could see. So, I'm trying to make the best of it by going to the phone OS that's at least somewhat tweakable. I wasn't about to become an iClone!

Give it a try; if nothing else, you can return the phone within 14 days if you find that you hate it.

Wow, a couple of weeks ago. Man, that;s pretty telling. : )

oh my. I'm so sad. I get the feeling Android is not for me, honestly Android just does not seems as good. All it has going for it is the better hardware, but i feel like i want to move on to a bigger screen and oh how i want the voiceless control of the moto X. But i love my Palm Pre, so much.

I made a list of my needs/uses/wants etc. and for most of the important things, Palm wins:
-email
-notifications
-multi tasking
And this is what i do the most

regular stuff is a tie: (clock, alarm, etc)

And the things it doesn't do well are things i just want, and i only can't do them because of a bigger screen:
-banking,
-citibike station information
-checking reviews and prices while shopping
-looking up information
and the only android app i *really* want is the virtual assistant app.

And then there's things moto X can do that neither regular androids nor Pre can do: Always Ready being #1,which would make alarms and weather much better, MUCH. And those would actually be quite helpful to me.

Sprint doesn't have LTE yet, so i don't get that benefit. I'd still be on 3G with the MotoX/

I have 2 other Palm Pres sitting in a drawer, havent done homebrew since i last switched to a new pre a couple of years ago, but i could definitely go back and maybe if i get back into the homebrews i could make my Palm the best i could be. But gosh, the best things about Palm Android can't touch.

So the Pre would win hands down If it had a bigger screen, the only other thing i would want is the voiceless controls. Everything else is of little importance compared to all the things i lose.

Thoughts? i know it's a personal thing, but i just can't believe that other than a screen, web o/s fits my needs better than the Android platform. Not to menation just the regular fabulousness of web o/s. This is really really tough.

I guess could just come down to, and be a matter of, Web o/s is just a better system and would be more pleasant, better to use, but can't do anything the others can't, but while android sucks compared to web o/s, sorry, in some ways the switch could offer me things the Palm can't, (whatever is special to android can offer me NOTHING cuz i don't play games or do social stuff).

Last night i decided i would defintely get the moto X and either return it or sell it if i don't like it, esp since i haven't used my upgrade in a long time and i want to use it . I'd move to Verizon so i could get the Palm3 for the bigger screen but i'm on Sprint Sero, so no way jose. :D

Oh, also, when i switch from Pre to another phone i'll be paying an extra $10 a month. Gosh. And my phone means a lot to me, it's really a decision i'm struggling with. Anyone else would think i'm nuts, but i know you guys know what it is to love this o/s, or if anything, know how people feel about it. :) I was in Sprint a couple times this week, and 2 employees got whistful when they saw my Pre. Maybe half of this is just looking for support, lol. Thanks for listening, helping and understanding.

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I could not have said it better!
Although in my case I jumped ship 2 years ago with the Motorola Photon 4G only to get burned by Motorola! :thumbdown::( :mad::banghead:

So, now I don't care for HP nor Motorola! :thumbdown::mad:
They can go to hell for all I care! :thumbdown::mad:

I still get my Prē out of its box from time to time just to keep my gesture loving fingers happy! :thumbup::D

But having the Multiwindow feature on my Galaxy S4 let's me multitask very well. I just love that! :beer::D

jlamb0

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Which Pre are you using? The original Pre or were you able to get a "Franken-Pre2" working on Sprint? I was using a Pre3 on AT&T for awhile. I absolutely loved it, but the apps I needed started to break as APIs changed and the developers stopped updating (Pocket and Dropbox are examples). I can totally relate to what you're going through, but I can't imagine trying to use an original Pre these days.

If it still works for you, more power to you. But for what it is worth, I've switched to Android and I haven't really looked back. (Although my Pre3 is still in a drawer, just in case...)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an original Palm Prē from launch day!
I wasn't able to get a FrankenPrē, and by the time I decided to get one, the Photon came around. So I just got me the Photon and stayed with Android.

Like I said before, my wife and I still have a PalmPad each, and I still use my Prē from time to time. :thumbup::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay