Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a way to use my palm pixi (through sprint) to get internet access on my galaxy tab (also a sprint tab, but not paying for sprint service on it, just wifi).

Thanks

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this, very helpful for someone still on webOS (coming on 2 years now) and looking to probably transition to Android next month (expecting to find out the Pre3 won't be on Sprint, at least not this summer). I'm playing with a loaner Eris for now but looking to get the EVO 3D when it's out. Anyway, my big question for this thread: an equivalent for Mode Switcher? Someone mentioned something on a mailing list months ago, but can't find it now... Thanks!

Slosh01

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Awesome thread. Will be coming from a Pre- for a Nexus S 4G and this certainly helps.

I was concerned I might freak out without gestures, but found a couple apps that might fit the bill.

zMooth
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chukkapalli.zMooth

ClutchPad
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.stevealbright.clutch

Ditto on the Nexus S & thanks for the links.

Have you picked up the phone yet? If so, have you been experiencing any of the reception/dropped call issues that some others have been having with their phones? There is a whole thread on the subject.

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
how do you like the Shift? I am looking to give up my Pre- and like the physical keyboard. I have seen some reviews that say the keyboard makes the phone too thick. Your thoughts?

Slosh

I'm liking the Shift a lot.

I do not think that the keyboard makes the phone too thick. I don't think it's any thicker than a Pre. Obviously, a phone without a keyboard will usually be thinner, but the Shift doesn't feel too thick to me.

Personally, I like having the physical keyboard and definitely use it quite a bit. And coming from the Pre, the Shift feels pleasantly solid.

Slosh01

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking the Shift a lot.

I do not think that the keyboard makes the phone too thick. I don't think it's any thicker than a Pre. Obviously, a phone without a keyboard will usually be thinner, but the Shift doesn't feel too thick to me.

Personally, I like having the physical keyboard and definitely use it quite a bit. And coming from the Pre, the Shift feels pleasantly solid.

Thanks for the response. I too have grown accustomed to the physical keyboard - my work phone is a BB Bold, enuf said. Maybe I take a Shift for a test ride for 3 weeks or so and if I don't like it I'll return it for a Nexus S.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I too have grown accustomed to the physical keyboard - my work phone is a BB Bold, enuf said. Maybe I take a Shift for a test ride for 3 weeks or so and if I don't like it I'll return it for a Nexus S.
The NexusS is a rooting phone. It is a stripped down hot rod. Maybe check out the EVO Shift until the EVO 3D comes out.

The Shift is a smaller screen but try the SwiftKey X keyboard on it. SwiftKey predicts your next word before you even start to type it. It learns how you think making better suggestions all the time, sometimes better than the word than you were thinking. Also the speach to text learns how you speak and gets amazingly good.

What's better than typing on a physical keyboard?

Not typing at all.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Milo!!

Great Comparative guide for Pre to Droid!

But I expect no less from you, after all your amazing stuff on the Pre side of the world..

Im saving this, to help learn, and maybe make the leap, someday..

Reactions: milominderbinde

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just finished a few weeks with a Nexus S 4G from two years with the Sprint Pre. I read this post, and many, many others, trying to learn to love Android. I can't. So I returned it today.
Yes, my Pre is slower. No, I don't get to play with incredibly cool apps like SoundHound, SkyMap, and a million other ugly versions of iOS apps. Yes, I am still picking my jaw off of the floor from the Voice Command functions and how great it works. I actually even (sort of) got used to the notifications.

But...

I don't play video games, and I'll never watch a movie on a phone. Never. What I DO need, every day, all day long, is the ability to communicate and multitask. And even though I found a way to add on free apps to give me basic functions like separate tones for SMS contacts, email search (Really? Are they kidding? NO ONE has a filter as you type email search.) nagging notification reminders, etc. The multitasking is poor- not even as good as iPhone. Unpredictable and clunky. Android OS is just not friendly. It's not even pretty. All the ridiculous animation is just silly.

Maybe the worst was the fact that the Nexus S gets lousy radio reception. Even the Pre gets significantly better reception, which isn't saying that much. GPS, Wifi, phone... all poor. And the 4G, even when available, isn't noticeably faster to me.

It seems to me that Android's draw is the ability to get almost-as-good features for free, with the ability to make your phone look like no one else's. Great. Except I actually think that good things are worth paying for, and don't need my phone to identify me. I just need it to work. All the time. And all day long. (I lost 10% battery charge by using Google Navigate for 10 minutes. Huh?)

Sorry, Android. I'll happily stick to webOS, even though it's slower and won't name the tune I'm hearing over the speakers in the restaurant. It gets my work done, effortlessly, in a reliable and predictable manner. That's really a smart phone, for me.

willrusso

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I just finished a few weeks with a Nexus S 4G from two years with the Sprint Pre. I read this post, and many, many others, trying to learn to love Android. I can't. So I returned it today.
Yes, my Pre is slower. No, I don't get to play with incredibly cool apps like SoundHound, SkyMap, and a million other ugly versions of iOS apps. Yes, I am still picking my jaw off of the floor from the Voice Command functions and how great it works. I actually even (sort of) got used to the notifications.

But...

I don't play video games, and I'll never watch a movie on a phone. Never. What I DO need, every day, all day long, is the ability to communicate and multitask. And even though I found a way to add on free apps to give me basic functions like separate tones for SMS contacts, email search (Really? Are they kidding? NO ONE has a filter as you type email search.) nagging notification reminders, etc. The multitasking is poor- not even as good as iPhone. Unpredictable and clunky. Android OS is just not friendly. It's not even pretty. All the ridiculous animation is just silly.

Maybe the worst was the fact that the Nexus S gets lousy radio reception. Even the Pre gets significantly better reception, which isn't saying that much. GPS, Wifi, phone... all poor. And the 4G, even when available, isn't noticeably faster to me.

It seems to me that Android's draw is the ability to get almost-as-good features for free, with the ability to make your phone look like no one else's. Great. Except I actually think that good things are worth paying for, and don't need my phone to identify me. I just need it to work. All the time. And all day long. (I lost 10% battery charge by using Google Navigate for 10 minutes. Huh?)

Sorry, Android. I'll happily stick to webOS, even though it's slower and won't name the tune I'm hearing over the speakers in the restaurant. It gets my work done, effortlessly, in a reliable and predictable manner. That's really a smart phone, for me.

Lol, you must be old! Sorry Android requires brainpower... I dumped my pre a year ago for an EVO and never looked back! I can't wait for the EVO 3D to drop.

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol, you must be old! Sorry Android requires brainpower...

Thanks for your very helpful comment. Is there a correlation between youth and brainpower? My comments have nothing to do with trouble using the device or navigating the OS, rather with the user experience and the poor reception and battery life.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It amy be the device you chose as well...I have heard many bad things about the Nexus S but not too many about the Evo.

The EVO may be a year older than the Nexus but it holds up very well to this day. I just got my wife one(I am still on the original Pre waiting on the EVO 3D) and it flies and I am amazed at how good the reception is on that phone.

I have seen alot of neat apps that allow for better multitasking...just need to give them a chance.

The most amazing thing about android is the customization is second to none. I am stuck with how the Pre interface looks and with the Android I can basically build the phone the way I want. I understand the multitasking is amazing on the Pre but everything else it does is not so great.

I can only open about 2 - 3 cards now untl I get the too many cards error. I hate waiting over 5 minutes for the phone to boot...and the phone is so slow. One of the only complaints of the EVO is battery power but I have a Pre I have to recharge after 4 hours of moderate use.

As one mentioned to each his own but it seems you may have picked hardware that that was frustrating also making you more frustrated with the software.

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Interesting points, and maybe it?s true... The appeal to me of the Nexus was the instant updates since it?s pure Google. I?m not that crazy about HTC?s version with Sense, but am thinking of trying out the EVO3D, if for nothing else than to get through the summer and give my Pre- a 30 day break. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would have loved to use a Pre before Android just to see how the OS functions. Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to and instead jumped to the Hero when it was released. They both offer benefits and I'm sure the Pre has it's upsides over Android. Great post Jonesey.

TortugaMuerta

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Excellent and most helpful post. Ive been soaking up as much android info as possible in anticipation of my switch to android. Im excited to get back into messing with new ROMS (old phone was a touch pro).

Reactions: milominderbinde
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar