Android Smartphone without date plan?

DJayAce

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought an LG Optimus G Pro from a AT&T store, and was required to go with a data plan, so I am paying $30/month for internet data plan and 15$ for unlimited call/text. I am loving the phone, but at home and at work I use wifi so I am content with only using wifi, thus I would like to NOT pay for an internet data plan and will just not use the internet in areas that don't have wifi.

So am I able to get off my parent's family plan and stop paying the 45$/month and go with another service like T-Mobile? B/c I heard that you can go with T-Mobile and not have a internet data plan. If I do this, do I need to unlock my phone? I have no idea what steps I should do to be able to keep this awesome phone I just bought and not have a data plan. If anyone could help me out with these questions, that would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Every carrier requires a data plan. No Way around it.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You can use a prepaid plan but it's still going to b a data an included. If u don't want to pay for data only option is to cancel that phone plan and use the phone strictly on a wifi connection that's it can use voip for calls

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want a data plan, you shouldn't really have a smartphone IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

DJayAce

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
@Ry, I would agree although I live in an area which has wifi literally everywhere I go.. Work..School..Home..Study Areas.. I mean literally everywhere, its just not worth it for me to have a data plan. This is my first time having a smartphone and I thought was going to be like a computer, but when you get a computer, it doesn't force you to pay a monthly fee like phone companies do. I'm perfectly content with using the phone only in wifi areas. Anyways, thanks for all of your input.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
@Ry, I would agree although I live in an area which has wifi literally everywhere I go.. Work..School..Home..Study Areas.. I mean literally everywhere, its just not worth it for me to have a data plan. This is my first time having a smartphone and I thought was going to be like a computer, but when you get a computer, it doesn't force you to pay a monthly fee like phone companies do. Anyways, thanks for all of your input.

Sounds like you should probably have an iPod touch or a Wi-Fi only tablet instead.

DJayAce

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
@Ry, I would but I still want to make calls and text. And I think its stupid to carry around an Ipod touch AND a phone just because I want to do what a smartphone does. I really hate how companies like AT&T make it mandatory, like paying 600$ for the phone and 15$/month for texting/calls is not enough... haha I love my phone and use the internet a lot, and I also call and text a lot, but I ONLY use the internet when im using wifi, so its 100% pointless and waste of $ for me to have a data plan. So the moral of my story... life just isn't fair lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
@Ry, I would but I still want to make calls and text. And I think its stupid to carry around an Ipod touch AND a phone just because I want to do what a smartphone does. I really hate how companies like AT&T make it mandatory, like paying 600$ for the phone and 15$/month for texting/calls is not enough... haha I love my phone and use the internet a lot, and I also call and text a lot, but I ONLY use the internet when im using wifi, so its 100% pointless and waste of $ for me to have a data plan. So the moral of my story... life just isn't fair lol

There's a carrier for that.

Republic Wireless.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a S2 Skyrocket that I use as a Wi-Fi device and no data plan. Popped in SIM from old phone with no data plan and everything works fine.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a S2 Skyrocket that I use as a Wi-Fi device and no data plan. Popped in SIM from old phone with no data plan and everything works fine.

Sooner or later your carrier is going to notice and automatically add data to your plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app