joined to see if anyone can help me at all. desperate!! miserable

dismayedJen

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I got a tablet from A1CS last year. it is unbranded. android tablet.
it's model number says MID, android 4.1.1. then there is kernal info and a build number

it worked really well and i was very pleased, and smug about it. Not so anymore.

i haven't used it for about six weeks and went back to it this weekend, and it's gone crazy. it behaves like it's acting out loads of key touches and does all kinds, none of which are what i want it to do. so, if i tap settings it ignores me and goes into doing all kinds of other things. I have no idea what has gone wrong with it.
i tried a system reset, which was tricky given it isn't exactly responding touches very well, so this went ahead, but it's no better. I've had difficulty reloading plenty of apps because of the problem with the screen - if indeed it is that? it looks like it's flickering. if i can get into an app, like a game, it works okay, but other apps don't. like say kindle, it just goes crazy, in fact it only seems to stabilize if playing a game.
i downloaded avg, with difficulty, and scanned it, and it did bring up a threat, but as i tried to read the threat, it turned the language of that app into god knows what, so i had to uninstall it then reinstall it, and the same thing happened again. it's so paiinfully time consuming,

i managed to get it back to english, and view the report and it said the problem is in settings. all ok in apps and content
in settings it says

unsecure priviledge mode detected
your device is running in High Privilege mode (i.e. it has been rooted)
We recommend using only genuine firmware.
for more info see our FAQS at m.avg.com

i have no idea what this means and looking on the avg website didn't help me at all. I am a total novice and really have no clue what is going on here.

i've managed to turn on something in settings that allows you to see your finger touches, and they are mad, like ghosts all over the screen, even when i'm not touching anything. what on earth has happened? it is dead and buried? it's so depressing, more so for my son than me, i just can't afford to replace it

I really hope someone on this forum can offer some explanation or help. I'm praying it's somethign simple, but i suspect it's far from it.

thanks in advance.

Jen

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
it's model number says MID, android 4.1.1. then there is kernal info and a build number

it worked really well and i was very pleased, and smug about it. Not so anymore.

i haven't used it for about six weeks and went back to it this weekend, and it's gone crazy. it behaves like it's acting out loads of key touches and does all kinds, none of which are what i want it to do. so, if i tap settings it ignores me and goes into doing all kinds of other things. I have no idea what has gone wrong with it.
i tried a system reset, which was tricky given it isn't exactly responding touches very well, so this went ahead, but it's no better. I've had difficulty reloading plenty of apps because of the problem with the screen - if indeed it is that? it looks like it's flickering. if i can get into an app, like a game, it works okay, but other apps don't. like say kindle, it just goes crazy, in fact it only seems to stabilize if playing a game.
i downloaded avg, with difficulty, and scanned it, and it did bring up a threat, but as i tried to read the threat, it turned the language of that app into god knows what, so i had to uninstall it then reinstall it, and the same thing happened again. it's so paiinfully time consuming,

i managed to get it back to english, and view the report and it said the problem is in settings. all ok in apps and content
in settings it says

i have no idea what this means and looking on the avg website didn't help me at all. I am a total novice and really have no clue what is going on here.

i've managed to turn on something in settings that allows you to see your finger touches, and they are mad, like ghosts all over the screen, even when i'm not touching anything. what on earth has happened? it is dead and buried? it's so depressing, more so for my son than me, i just can't afford to replace it

I really hope someone on this forum can offer some explanation or help. I'm praying it's somethign simple, but i suspect it's far from it.

thanks in advance.

Jen

Welcome to the forums.
Unsecure privilidge, high privilidge, all indicate root access has been obtained.
Since you don't know how that happened, did you buy this tablet used?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't post in the thread if you have nothing to contribute. I suggest that those involved take the opportunity to review the forum rules. Further violations of the rules will be dealt with in accordance with the AC forum rules.

Thread has been cleaned up. Keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, it is really really REALLY difficult to troubleshoot these off-brand devices, because there is little to no support, and it's hard to find other people who have expertise with it, since it's essentially a no-name brand. On top of that, if someone rooted it before you obtained it, you just don't know what kind of modifications might have been made to the system (which could have subsequently caused all of these glitches).

When you say that you succeeded in doing a system reset, do you mean the Factory Data Reset? This option can be located in a number of different Settings menus, including Settings/About Tablet, Settings/Backup & Restore, or Settings/Security (to name a few). The Factory Data Reset can fix a lot of these kinds of problems, unless a previous user flashed a different ROM to the device that is causing problems.

Another possibility is a hardware problem--sometimes connections can become loose, which can cause the screen to go haywire. Some tablets are easy to open up, others require a sledgehammer and a blowtorch. If it seems easy to pop off the back cover of your tablet, you could try it and see if there are any obvious connections that are loose. Obviously, you need to be very cautious, since opening the tablet up could lead to irreversible damage if you're not careful.

Good luck! And keep in mind that tablet prices have been dropping significantly, with decent reliable models as cheap as $89 new (like the Lenovo A1000, the Acer Iconia B1, and the [URL="https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/612734/9383?sharedid=159229&subId1=UUacUvbUpU3249852&subId2=vbac&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FHisense-E270BSA-Sero-7-Lite-7-Entertainment-Multimedia-Tablet%2F24805141%22]Hisense Sero 7 LT[/URL]). If you're willing to get refurbished or used devices, you could get even higher quality ones like the original Nexus 7 for around $150.

deaz14

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem I bought 2 for my kids for christmas and theirs keep freezing and not working right i have ran avg antivirus and am getting the exact sam message "your device is running in high privilege mode (ie it has been rooted) i bought these from a store brand new do i take them back or can i fix it myself im not really up on electronics so im really confused as to what it all means can some help me

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem I bought 2 for my kids for christmas and theirs keep freezing and not working right i have ran avg antivirus and am getting the exact sam message "your device is running in high privilege mode (ie it has been rooted) i bought these from a store brand new do i take them back or can i fix it myself im not really up on electronics so im really confused as to what it all means can some help me

Welcome to the forums. A device should not be rooted out of the box. I would return it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how accurate AVG is in determining rooted status? I know that some Samsung devices were incorrectly reporting they were "modified" even if they weren't.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how accurate AVG is in determining rooted status? I know that some Samsung devices were incorrectly reporting they were "modified" even if they weren't.

It can report 'high privileged mode'.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

What I would do is go in the play store and download root checker if it says your rooted then you need to return the products back..

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

Adark812

May 30, 2016
Visit site

in settings it says

thanks in advance.

Jen

Anyone with this problem download SystemSU and go to settings in that app and click full indoor and it will fix it

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

in settings it says

thanks in advance.

Jen

Welcome to Android Central!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Jen, welcome to the forums at Android Central!
Have you checked the suggestions given by other members here?
Is your tablet okay now or still giving you trouble?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ave no idea what this means and looking on the avg website didn't help me at all. I am a total novice and really have no clue what is going on here.

Go to Settings>Developer Options and make sure none of the options there are turned on.

In the future, I suggest creating a new thread with your question, since this one is not directly related to the original post of this thread. That way, it will get more attention.