New user hopelessly lost

Trix2013

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I am a long time iPhone user who recently decided to make the switch to Android.

I have a mac, iPad and iPhone all working perfectly, so this decision to move wasn't an easy one, but too tempting.

I purchased a Galaxy Note 3 and am still getting used to the size, but enjoying it mostly. I have run in to a few things that are confusing me though so i hope someone can help me out.

1) Email. I turned my phone on and in front of me was an app simply called 'Email'. It is a white envelope with a red @ sign on it. I launched it and it asked for an email address and password. I typed in my google account information and it setup my google email, perfect. I then was able to type in my iCloud email and password and it downloaded and setup that email too. Awesome!
However just now, i have found the 'Gmail' app inside a folder called Google. I opened it expecting it to show my emails, and it's asked me to setup my email. It appears i have two email applications now? What's the point in this, and what should i use? Confused!

2) I can download all sorts from within the browser, such as videos, images and apps etc. Where do these files go when they are downloaded, after they have been installed? Does the phone delete the files or are they still there (So i have the downloaded file, and the installed file)

3) I installed facebook, and it has downloaded every Facebook contact into my contacts list. I like it, as i can see peoples photos and status updates. However hardly anyone on my Facebook are people i speak to on my phone or texting etc, they are just people i 'know' so i don't want them sat on my phone. Is it possible to be selective as to who i have showing on my phone? For example, my partner and my kids/family would be ideal.

4) I have an app in the google folder called 'Photos'. I also have an app in my Apps section called 'Gallery'. What's the difference?! When i launched the 'Photos' one it started talking about syncing my photos and videos, and did so. I then got some emails from Dropbox and Google about my photos have been backed up online and i can go view them. I understand the dropbox part, but not google. It's not on Google+ is it? I don't use that and don't want my photos randomly showing up there.

That's all i can think of at the moment that's bothering me. Idealy i want all my contacts, history, photos and videos, emails all linked with my google account so i can access them anywhere, such as on my computer or on my phone. Not all over the place :)

Thanks for any help! Sorry for the possibly newbish questions :)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
1. You would use the Gmail app if you use mostly Gmail and prefer the functionality of it over the general email app.

2. The files of apps, pics, docs. etc. stay on your phone. You can see these files from within the download app or the file manager app that's on the phone.

3. you can disable facebook syncing with contacts. Then add the additional info from within contacts app.

4. Gallery is the default photo gallery app that's used with the stock android camera app. The Gallery app is used when you swipe from within camera to view pics. Photos is basically another way for Google to try and get you to use Google+ and eventually use all the major Google services. Use the Gallery app if you don't want your pics to be integrated with Google+. I think it's better to just store pics in DropBox or Google Drive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree overall with SactoKingsFan. To expand on that response:

1. The Gmail app has more functionality specific to Gmail and Google apps in general. However, if you'd rather just access all of your email in one place, you can just use the stock Email app. If you don't want the Gmail app running in the background, you could go to your Application Manager, select Gmail, and Disable it. This doesn't delete the Gmail app (you can't delete preinstalled apps), but it does prevent the app from opening, thus freeing up some system RAM for other apps to occupy.

2. The Downloads "app" is more of a shortcut to the Downloads folder. If you don't see what you downloaded, make sure you select on the option to display files downloaded more than 7 days ago. If you want to manipulate those downloads (i.e., move or copy them elsewhere), use a good file manager app. I don't know if the Note 3 comes with one--if it doesn't, try ES File Explorer or Astro File Manager.

3. I'm not sure, but I think syncing Facebook contacts with your phone's contact app is an all-or-none deal. In other words, you either sync ALL of the contacts, or none at all.

4. There is quite a bit of redundancy with the Gallery and Google Photos apps. The Gallery app is the original Android Gallery and has fairly basic functionality. It will show the pics that you took with your camera, and can probably also show your pics that have been saved to Picasa/Google+ Photos in the cloud. In order to see those cloud photos, you need to go to System Settings/Accounts-Google/[your Google account], and make sure Picasa is checked. You'll only see the name Picasa mentioned here--it's a holdover from when it was a separate entity, but now it's essentially folded into Google+ Photos. Not all devices will allow your cloud pics to be seen in the Gallery (e.g., it doesn't work with my Razr Maxx).
I think the Google Photos app is actually a pretty nice replacement for the older Gallery app in terms of appearance. It will show the pics you took with your camera, and you can also see your pics in the cloud, in your Google+ Photos galleries (tap "Highlights"). You don't have to back up every single photo you take to Google+ (go to Google Settings/Google+/Auto Backup, and turn it off).

Trix2013

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies, just to clarify on a couple of things:

1) Emails. So i can use either email clients, Can i use the Gmail one to add other accounts? Such as my iCloud account?

2) Photos. So, is the main difference between the two photo apps, that one is integrated with the camera (shows pictures when using the camera) and the other is used to upload photos to the cloud?

I'm assuming everything in the 'Google' folder is basically linked to my gmail account. What i would like is everything working how i had it on my iPhone with the iCloud. All emails, photos, contacts were automatically uploaded and saved into the cloud. I want to achieve the same with the Android, just want to make sure i am using the right apps for it :)

Really appreciate the help, been reading loads of how to's and guides.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies, just to clarify on a couple of things:

1) Emails. So i can use either email clients, Can i use the Gmail one to add other accounts? Such as my iCloud account?

2) Photos. So, is the main difference between the two photo apps, that one is integrated with the camera (shows pictures when using the camera) and the other is used to upload photos to the cloud?

I'm assuming everything in the 'Google' folder is basically linked to my gmail account. What i would like is everything working how i had it on my iPhone with the iCloud. All emails, photos, contacts were automatically uploaded and saved into the cloud. I want to achieve the same with the Android, just want to make sure i am using the right apps for it :)

Really appreciate the help, been reading loads of how to's and guides.

Welcome to the forums, and Android.
1. I would suggest this: Use the Email app for every email account but Gmail. You can then create a folder on your homescreen and put both email apps in it.

2. Samsung also has a bad habit of duplicating Google's apps. Gallery and Photos as I recall is one of those redundancies. But I haven't run a stock Samsung ROM in quite some time, so I may be incorrect.

As for syncing, If you saved all your phone contacts as Google/Gmail, then Google has them saved. Photos can be automatically backed up when you take them via G+, Dropbox, or I believe Drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22