HELP!!! What to buy. Detailed description in post

LeeHudson

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, long time lurker here. Great forum, picked up loads of good advice from other posts over time, but I need some specifics answered so here goes......

1st if your reading this ? thanks for taking the time to look. Now onto my dilemma. (Let me know if you have any views / good ideas please)

The boss (Wife) has told me I can have a new phone for Xmas? Wooopeeee.
Keep in mind the following. Current phone is an Xperia Arc (no s)
So we?re talking 1 core, 1Ghz processor, 320mb storage 512 ram.
Pretty rubbish by today?s standards.

I?ve 99% decided to plum for one of the emerging Chinese models as from what I've read they're not totally the pile of plastic rubbish they once were. Value for money is key. (Her indoors + 2 kids aren?t cheap !!!! )

Needs:
? Jelly bean or above
? Decent speed (Processor & Ram)
? Sensible storage 16g+ (ability to increase via SD preferred)
? Large screen 5.7? ? 6.0? (Not really after anything outside this range)
? Good camera 12mp+ (I know mp isn't the total factor and aperture / lens quality play a significant part)
? Price <?200
? Good GPS, I often use Sat Nav apps
? I?m not an intensive gamer, so GPU not massively important, but would appreciate help if you have any good views on this

My current thoughts
? Quad / Octa core @ 1.5ghz or above
? 2G ram. In my experience ram is one of the key factors to a true smooth multitasking device.
? Screen, not entirely sure, obviously capacitive or better, but doubt I?ll get better quality in my price range. Resolution, I?m thinking 1920x1080, but what?s the real benefit over 1280x720? This is often a difference in the phones I?m looking at.
? WIFI. I had originally discounted phones that don?t have ?N? band, as I have 78meg fibre at home. (Just lucky I live near my local cab). This took a fair few phones ?Out of scope? but on reflection do I really need that? G band will do real world speeds circa 20-25meg and that?s plenty fast enough for phone browsing, isn?t it? (I don?t do much heavy downloading on my phone)

I?ve looked at loads of phone, all seem to be very similar and I have put 2 on my wish list for now which seem to be the pick of the bunch I've seen. Would be great to get some feedback on my views above and the shortlist below. What would you recommend?

Cheers

Lee

Shortlist
JIAKE V8
Why? Ermmmm its an Octa core, nuff said!
Honestly... Ticks all my boxes except screen. It?s 1280x722

Orientphone P6
Quad core Vs the JIAK octa but does have 1920x1080. Only has b/g band wireless, but again refer to my thoughts on wifi above

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you in the UK? That's what I'm assuming, since you're talking in pounds. I'm in the US, so I can't be entirely sure what's available over there. In general, though, I would recommend against the off-brand devices. They may look good on paper, and you might see some individual anecdotes of great experiences, but keep in mind that devices like this may have poor support and questionable quality control. Make sure you get a wide sample of reviews and opinions, and be wary of reviews that might be fake.

With the holiday season fast approaching, you will no doubt see a lot of great deals on all kinds of devices, so perhaps you should take this opportunity to look at phones from some of the bigger names like Samsung, HTC, and LG (as well as Google). Good luck!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I heartily second what B. Diddy said. You may get a great device, but when you need support you're on your own. And you'll get an Android update when the Martians take over Gibraltar.

That leads to your second problem - your price. You aren't going to get what you want, quality and that price. Settle for a cheap phone that might have to be replaced in a year, or spend more for one that you'll probably still like after no one will pay you scrap price for it.