Some guideance for a noob in side loading - email app expert needed

cwoodffr

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have Sony Xperia ZL running 4.2.2 and its rooted.

I want to run the later version of the sony included email app that ships with Z1 (also runs 4.2.2). What I am running is 4.01 and the newer one is 5. I have the semcemail.apk and have tried moving it to systems/apps directory via root explorer and setting permissions, however it will not show up as an app icon nor run. When I overwrite the apk of the oem version of the same name, and change permissions to rw-r-r I then get errors that the mail service stopped. Restart does not solve it nor show the new email app. When I revert back to the oem version I am able to run again. Am I missing something or just not compatible? The Z1 runs same 4.2.2 and the apk seems to be just a version variant up from the 4.2 client I am running.

Some questions:

• is any apk dropped in system/apps ready to run?
  • is there an install process for an apk for the OS to see it?
  • does any apk in that folder generate an app icon on restart?
  • is email a special kind of app that the OS expects to see an apk with the right file name, or can you name the apk whatever you want and see it as a separate app vs overwriting the oem semcemail.apk?

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It might be a compatibility issue. Do you know for sure other people who have successfully installed the app on the same device you have?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Back up the original app.

Put the new app's apk in the root of your SD card. Use a file manager to find the apk and run it.

See if it runs on your phone.

cwoodffr

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Back up the original app.

Put the new app's apk in the root of your SD card. Use a file manager to find the apk and run it.

See if it runs on your phone.

Dropping it on SD card does not allow permissions change. Is that required?
When I then click on it with root explorer, I get options for "Package installer" to "view" or "install". I had always thought of apk's like exe's but I guess it is the installer. Trying a titanium backup of the oem email and will run the apk again from the SD.
update, get a simple message of "app not installed" after running the apk from the SD root

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An apk is a package including the runtime ("exe") and any other files it needs. The app connected with an apk is usually the package installer - it installs the program that's in the apk file. "App not installed" after running an apk usually means that that version of the app won't run on your hardware/Android version/both. That's one of the few reasons to get all apps from the Play store. Each one comes in several flavors, and the Play store sends you the one compatible with your device.

cwoodffr

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. What is odd is that I have seen reference to someone getting it to run on non z1. The z and ZL are the closest spec and run same OS so you would think if it were going to run. It would be on these.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo