Buying phone as gift, bad idea?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I was sort of thinking of getting my friend a phone for Christmas. But I'm not sure it's a good idea.

If you were into a particular type of phone, would you mind getting the prior year's model if you didn't have one at all and if you had no solid plans to get one?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather get a gift certificate to the best carrier in the area. Phones are pretty personal things. I wouldn't accept an iDevice, but if you bought me one, I'd feel bad about selling it and getting an Android. And I have things I like on my phones that some people hate. (The Note 3 is too huge? Not for me, I love mine.)

If I had no plans to get one, the only question would be "do I really want one?"

But I'd really prefer being able to choose my own phone, even a 2 or 3 year old model, than being handed a phone I had to put on a happy face to accept.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's sort of what I'm thinking too.

But my friend isn't really the sort of person to splurge on something like a phone. So I don't know if they'd be disappointed really. Especially since I know generally what they might want.

I was looking on eBay for unlocked devices and the 2012 iteration is doable for me. The 2013 is still in the $500-$650 range.

A carrier gift certificate wouldn't work in my situation because my friend would like to save money over their carrier's data plans. So I thought it be a good idea to get an unlocked device (if I do this at all) that they can use prepaid with T-Mobile...

I know a phone is a personal thing though. Maybe this is more of a problematic idea than it's worth.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What device does your friend currently have? Also, take a look at the Moto G. It's a good phone at an event better price. Also, the Moto X will be on sale Monday through Moto, so that's another option if you are looking at the high $300's as your max budget for this year's device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Buying a phone as a gift for someone who is particular about them is much like me buying clothes as a gift for my teenage daughter. I would count on either one keeping them.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What device does your friend currently have? Also, take a look at the Moto G. It's a good phone at an event better price. Also, the Moto X will be on sale Monday through Moto, so that's another option if you are looking at the high $300's as your max budget for this year's device.

I'm not sure what they have but I'm pretty sure it's not what I'd give. Unfortunately they're not into Android (rather not be specific in case they see this). If they were I'd be better able to get them something cool, but I still couldn't afford a Moto X, not that I haven't thought about it. ;)

I don't want to spend even 250 but I would if I knew they'd really love the gift. :eek:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Buying a phone as a gift for someone who is particular about them is much like me buying clothes as a gift for my teenage daughter. I would count on either one keeping them.

Lol, I know. But they don't have what I'd be giving nor any plans to get it. It's more that they like the manufacturer/company than lusting (that I know of) over a specific model.

But it's probably a bad idea just because they'd have to switch carriers too in order to get a lower smartphone rate. I don't think they've ever owned a smartphone yet.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what they have but I'm pretty sure it's not what I'd give. Unfortunately they're not into Android (rather not be specific in case they see this). If they were I'd be better able to get them something cool, but I still couldn't afford a Moto X, not that I haven't thought about it. ;)

I don't want to spend even 250 but I would if I knew they'd really love the gift. :eek:

For a tad but more you can get the Moto G, and I'm sure they'd like it as an introductory Android device :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For a tad but more you can get the Moto G, and I'm sure they'd like it as an introductory Android device :)

I certainly would ;) but I'm not so sure that would go down well. It depends on whether they're Google neutral or hate-Google-with-a-passion. Probably the former but I just don't know. It would be fun though if I could play with it first :p but that's cheating...

abbott

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X on Republic Wireless is a good idea, then you're not forcing them to buy a smartphone plan, unlimited talk and text is just $10/month and the phone is only $299

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X on Republic Wireless is a good idea, then you're not forcing them to buy a smartphone plan, unlimited talk and text is just $10/month and the phone is only $299

Thanks, it would be a good idea if I knew if RW is good where they are. Sprint typically isn't but RW uses WiFi a lot.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I certainly would ;) but I'm not so sure that would go down well. It depends on whether they're Google neutral or hate-Google-with-a-passion.
My wife loved her dumb phone for years, and couldn't stand my Android. Too much to fuss with, you can't just answer a call, etc.

We both have Note 3s now. She's on hers about 20 hours a day, between phone calls, Bingo (and whatever other games she's playing online), Skype with a friend in another state, etc., etc. (No, she's not shirking work - we're retired.) I don't know whether that has anything at all to do with your friend, but some people - some you'd expect it least of - do change.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife loved her dumb phone for years, and couldn't stand my Android. Too much to fuss with, you can't just answer a call, etc.

We both have Note 3s now. She's on hers about 20 hours a day, between phone calls, Bingo (and whatever other games she's playing online), Skype with a friend in another state, etc., etc. (No, she's not shirking work - we're retired.) I don't know whether that has anything at all to do with your friend, but some people - some you'd expect it least of - do change.

That's an encouraging thought. :)

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
If they are happy and content with what they have now, I'd let it be. They would require a more expensive data plan than their current voice only phone.

We don't know if they are trying to survive on SS or some other retirement, are they employed as a helper, or under/un employed, or their age group. Is this a life long friend, or a 'special' friend ? Do they have a real interest in a smart phone ?

Also beware, if AT&T sees that your using a smartphone, they automatically stick you on a data plan.

Blackberry is selling the unlocked Z10 for $199 for the next few days. The 10.2 update gives users access to Android App stores. Just a thought.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If they are happy and content with what they have now, I'd let it be. They would require a more expensive data plan than their current voice only phone.

We don't know if they are trying to survive on SS or some other retirement, are they employed as a helper, or under/un employed, or their age group. Is this a life long friend, or a 'special' friend ? Do they have a real interest in a smart phone ?

Also beware, if AT&T sees that your using a smartphone, they automatically stick you on a data plan.

Blackberry is selling the unlocked Z10 for $199 for the next few days. The 10.2 update gives users access to Android App stores. Just a thought.

It's a longtime special friend. I don't think they're thrilled with current phone and plan, they are interested in a change... ;)

So, about the unlocked z10, is it really slow and laggy? It's actually good news if I could buy it straight from them. Oh, friend has means to afford a data plan but I'd like to find the lowest cost plan... Unfortunately friend hates Walmart so I'm not sure how receptive to Straight Talk friend might be. :rolleyes:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I also bought an android phone to my sister for her 18 years old birthday last month. She's very excited when she opened the gift pakage. And I recommended a helpful android column from enolsoft.com to her. She appreciated it very much.

That's great! Glad someone likes the gift of Android. :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately friend hates Walmart so I'm not sure how receptive to Straight Talk friend might be. :rolleyes:
If friend doesn't need more than about 2.5GB of high-speed data/month (speed gets cut back for the rest of the month after that), it's a very reasonable plan, and you get your choice of carriers. They support all 4, AT&T, Sprint, TMobile and Verizon. Walmart may be selling the plan but, unless friend is anti-Mexican, there shouldn't be any problem - the money goes to Carlos Slim Helu, once the wealthiest man in the world. (Once because, like Bill Gates, he gives away a lot of money.)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If friend doesn't need more than about 2.5GB of high-speed data/month (speed gets cut back for the rest of the month after that), it's a very reasonable plan, and you get your choice of carriers. They support all 4, AT&T, Sprint, TMobile and Verizon. Walmart may be selling the plan but, unless friend is anti-Mexican, there shouldn't be any problem - the money goes to Carlos Slim Helu, once the wealthiest man in the world. (Once because, like Bill Gates, he gives away a lot of money.)

Haha, I'm not sure how much data friend would want once finding out how much they'd use it. ;)

Friend is sweet but has weird preferences. :rolleyes:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
As a note about my indecision/decision, I went ahead and ordered an older model device of the sort most (hopefully) likely to please; when I saw it was discounted by $200 it seemed like the right thing to do. ;)

So we'll see if it was a good or bad idea. I don't think I went too far wrong. The person doesn't have one already.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
And after all, I wouldn't sneeze at a gs3, so there's every reason to think my friend will be happy to receive what I bought. :cool: