Weak GSM/Edge Performance on Android compared to S60

nirajvashi

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I feel that the Internet Browsing / Surfing performance on Android Phones (HTC / Motorola / Samsung) in India on carriers such as Vodafone and Idea is quite weak / slow compared to the Symbian S60 phones ( Nokia ).

I have tested performance simultaneously on S60 and Android and found that pages on GSM / Edge load considerably quicker on Symbian S60 than on Android Phones.

However, 3G Performance on Android is good.

Please throw some light on why this happens. Also let me know whether Windows / iOS perform better on GSM / Edge Internet Browsing compared to Android?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
2G (what you're calling GSM) and 3G/4G are totally different technologies and use different internet paths. It's like comparing 2 bicycles with 2 jet fighters and asking why bicycle A is faster than bicycle B but jet B is faster than jet A. You're not comparing apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and elephants. One 2G phone will be faster than another, one 3G phone will be faster than another. The faster phone won't always be the same with both tests.

nirajvashi

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Rukbat, Thank you for your response. I think you did not get my point. I know that 2G and 3G cant be compared. But, I was talking about 2G. 2G performance on S60 Phones is much better than on Android. I just said that Androids perform well on 3G. I want to know why Androids are not good on 2G.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For the same reason my neighbor's junked Vette doesn't perform well. SOME Androids don't perform well on 2G. I know where there are some 2G dead spots around where I live, but I never go there, so for me, my Android 2G performance is great. I'm currently getting -85 dbm on 2G, from inside the house, with a BER of 1%. I'm not expecting more, unless I go back to phones made 10 years ago or more. (My V551 could probably make phone calls from the bottom of a lead mine, and my ST7868 could make phone calls from another galaxy.) But for current phones, -85 dbm and 1% isn't bad. (I can't test 2G data speeds because we haven't done 2G data here for so long that I can't remember when it was.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon