[Nexus 4] Apps don't install / Want to change OS / Don't know what to do. Please Help

PizzaCaviar

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I received my nexus 4 from Ebay a couple of days ago. But it does not seem to work properly. Indeed, I do not have Google Play or the Voice Search on my nexus 4. I havemtried installing the app from the website Google Play. The website tells me I already have the apps installed. Every time I try to download a new app and try to install it, it just disappears after the download is completed. Meaning, I don't know where I freakin' goes. Since then I have spent a considerable amount of time (more than 15hours) browsing the web for solutions. I realized I would in the end need to come to a board/forum to ask for help because I have no idea what it is I am looking for in the first place.

My Nexus 4 is running Android version 4.2.2 with CyanogenMod cm-10.1.2.

I don't want to use that OS, I want to use Kitkat or what ever works with Google Voice Search and consumes the least of my battery. I saw on the internet that SmoothLiquid seems to do that but at the moment I am so frustrated that I don't even want to try, I just want the average OS, with automatic updates. I have been on so many websites trying to understand how things work and trying to find solution to install a new OS but every time it gets really confusing. People talk about flash, root, ROM, OTA and PATH but this is just gibberish to me. I tried getting into it by reading a lot of things but it just doesn't make any sense. I don't know if I am supposed to enter commands from the Terminal (I only have a mac) or if the proposed unzipped files are supposed to be copied within the phone. I have installed Android File Transfer and I thought I could just copy past the image of an OS and install it from the phone but apparently no. I have even tried to install CWM 6.0.4.3 to prevent my phone from being broken before attempting any serious operation but I don't know how to do that. All the terms get really confusing so I'd rather do nothing than lose my investment. I though Androids and phones were supposed to be ready to use easy equipment of technology. It seems I am wrong.

Anyway, this does not really help you help me so I'll stop. If anyone can help get my phone to work as it should I would greatly appreciate it. Of course, if you need any additional information I would be more than glad to provide it to you.

Thank you,

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Download the Wugsfresh toolkit. Is it to unlock the bootloader, root the phone and install the latest android version available. The toolkit is about as simple as it can get, just click the box and follow the onscreen prompts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You have a device with a custom ROM. It's already unlocked and rooted, so you need to restore it to stock. Follow this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/n...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html

But download and install the latest factory image from the site. If you don't understand that process then read through the thread to understand the process before attempting.

The ROM You have doesn't have the Play Store by default. You need to load it manually (a file called gapps).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair