Using android as wifi extender?

serpentxx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I work on a remote site and live in a Donga (A portable bedroom)
These Donga's have thick walls and i can barely get our camps wifi, let alone any Phone signal.

I have noticed that my mobile phone can get a medium wireless signal strength if i place it on the window cill and it got me wondering if it could be possible to use my android phone as a wifi repeater so that i could use the internet on my laptop inside my Donga.

Long story short, is it at all possible to have my Android phone connected to a wifi network, and then my laptop tethering with the android phone but using wifi data and not cellular?

I have searched the internet and have found a few results but they are all pretty vague, i am of course willing to root my phone if required

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

That's a rather neat idea but not one I've heard an android being used for. After browsing the Google Play Store I only saw a signal booster app, which is not what you're looking for. Perhaps our community members may have an idea how this could be achieved for you without getting a traditional WiFi extender.

serpentxx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did a bit more research and found something called fqrouter
which while it does a few things it apparently does what i am looking for, however i tried it on my dads spare Samsung but it didn't work, or at least i had no idea how to set it up properly.

EDIT: looks like i need to root the phone to get access to the router feature, im not going to do that to my dads spare but i have a HTC One Mini on order so ill be itching to try it out on that :D

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I found fqrouter too. I am going to root and try it out soon. I'm about to upgrade to a note 4. I'm keeping my s4 though as a home wifi phablet. Once it's not my primary device I'll tinker with it. I'll be more willing to take the risk.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol