i recently got a chromecast, and threw it in a draw as a piece of crap, as i immediately ran into wifi trouble. now i'm wondering if the chromecast is fine, because i then got a pogoplug, plugged it into my router, and then experienced the same wifi issue i'd had with the chromecast.

so i'm wondering if it couldn't be the router. i have a netgear router, several years old, and that is all i know about it. there is no model number that i can see on the device, and i long ago tossed the box and instructions, etc.

i guess my question is: have routers improved in the last few years that this older device might not be able to handle my add-ons well? what could i do as a checklist to run down my issue?

i suppose i could just buy a new router and see, but i'm not particularly anxious to throw good money after bad, especially since i sort of went a little crazy with tech purchases for the xmas season. (nexus 7 2012, nexus 7 2013, moto x, lumia 520, 2 nokia charging pads, jbl bluetooth speaker, canon digital camera, nook simple touch glowlight, roku 3) yikes, now that i typed that and see it in writing, i think i need to see my therapist.
    12-19-2013 11:35 PM
    It certainly could be the case that your router is out of date. There ought to be a model number on a stick on the back or underside of the unit--you don't see one?

If you know the model number, you could look up the manual and learn how to log into the router settings using your browser. Then you could check the settings and see if any are problematic. The first thing to do would be to turn off security temporarily to see if that's the problem.

Decent wireless N routers are so cheap these days (as low as $20) that you're probably better off just buying a new one.
    12-19-2013 11:51 PM
    hey, thanks for the reply. i don't see very well (serious). tomorrow in the light of day i'll get out my trusty magnifying glass and track down the model.

what do you mean "N" router?
    12-20-2013 12:00 AM
    what do you mean "N" router?
    Wi-fi technology has advanced through several iterations. They all carry the number 802.11, which refers to a set of standards created by IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. The letter after the number tells you how advanced it is. The technology that is currently in use today, in ascending order of speed and range, are 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. (802.11ac just came out, and is even faster, but hasn't been widely adopted yet). The more advanced the wifi, the faster it can transmit data (802.11n, or "wireless N," can transmit data at a maximum rate of 600 MB/sec, while the 802.11g only has a maximum rate of 54 MB/sec). This rate only applies to how fast data can be transmitted within your own wifi network--your download speeds over the internet will still be dictated by your internet provider (where average download speeds are around 15-20 MB/sec).

In addition, more advanced wifi routers have better range, so if you find that your coverage in your home is awful, a wireless N router may be helpful.
    12-20-2013 01:48 AM
    wow, good to know. i am a cable cord cutter, and need to take advantage of improved tech if fiscally feasible.

a lesson that i long ago learned is that sometimes it takes some money to save money.
    12-20-2013 09:25 AM
    just an updated thanks for steering me in the right direction. i was able to locate the model number, find some online documentation. i DO have an "N" router. that said, with your suggestion to disable security, i figured out how to access the router from my laptop. that was far easier than i would have thought, once i figured that the high tech james bond in me had cleverly had the user name and password set as "admin" and "password". genius i tell you.

then a few things happened. immediately the site checked for a firmware update, and apparently i was quite a few iterations behind the times. then, I went into wireless settings, and found that my router was set to "legacy" speeds, of 54 mbps.

so, i upped the ante to 300, and i guess I'll see if doing this helps. fingers are crossed.

again, thanks my friend. i learned alot, just my asking a general question and just trying a bit.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-20-2013 10:00 AM