How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?

April Dawn

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been uninstalling and reinstalling all kinds of apps since I did a mass update to some and suddenly my phone started acting funny.

I don't know what is causing it, but suddenly when I would click on a box, like in Kindle to put my password in, or even on a web page to read something, an orange line around highlight that section and a voice would read what it was! Totally freaked me out the first time it happened. I thought it was a text-to-talk issue and uninstalled all updates for that.

That didn't help. After a lot of messing around, I finally got the voice to stop talking, but the orange line is still there.

The problem with this is that when it highlights certain things, it doesn't allow the keyboard to pop up. And sometimes when it will allow the keyboard to pop up, the delay is like having a 486 computer! It takes so long you fall asleep waiting.

I thought that maybe I could just take the whole phone back down to factory specs and start all over again, but then something odd happened. I noticed that when I was looking on this website, that that same orange line is around boxes, like the search text input and then the little search icon, only on a smaller scale since I am on my computer. That makes me think that this new thing is actually an Android update that when I do go down to specs and then install it's current update, I will still be screwed.

So, what I need to know, if anyone can help, is just how to turn that option off. I have looked through every setting for everything I can think of and can't find a way to turn that stupid highlight off. If it was just the highlight, I really wouldn't care, but it's messing with my ability to type in passwords or search words and it even made it so that when I was in the browser, it highlighted a section of an ad and wouldn't let me zoom in to the details. This is really starting to drive me nuts and totally frustrate me, which isn't good because I have ADHD and if it frustrates me too much I'll end up just throwing the stupid phone away and buying an iPhone and until now I haven't had any problems.

By the way, I have a Galaxy Rush through Boost Mobile, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help... well I HOPE someone can help me before I blow a gasket. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you checked the Accessibility menu in the main Settings?

April Dawn

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
That is actually the first place I looked, at the Text-to-Speech part. It didn't say anything about the orange line around the text that keeps jumping as you click on another paragraph. So I uninstalled (to factory) the Text-to-Speech but that didn't help either.

I took some screen caps of what I am talking about. This is a Facebook post, but it happens to just about any text and especially around the areas you are supposed to login. to a site. And this is a huge problem because when it does make the boarder around the login area, it won't bring up the keyboard. And if it does finally bring it up, it's only after a long time and since I get really impatient I keep hitting the box thinking it was me not the orange outline and so it closes the keyboard a few times and if I am lucky it ends up open.

Here is a photo: BcMM5xSCEAAJcv-.jpg

I Tweeted it 3 hours ago and was going to reply here with it but got called away before I could. But so far no one there either has known how to fix it. :(

Bryanna Bailey

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It happens to me too and it is bugging me when I'm at school when i have to look things up on my chrome book. The person who fixes it looked through the accessibility and couldn't find it. i would like some help to.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It happens to me too and it is bugging me when I'm at school when i have to look things up on my chrome book. The person who fixes it looked through the accessibility and couldn't find it. i would like some help to.

Welcome to Android Central! You're using a Chromebook? That's different from an Android device. Or are you using Chrome on your Android device?

Kat Meow

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a ZTE Sonata and it started acting up two weeks ago. I've only had it two months. The apps on it I've used before with no problems. I also have the orange boxes, keyboard issues, talking issues (which won't shut up even on silent)! I also can't play any of my movies or videos. Says can't play this type of format. I've made no changes. I also can't download any new songs. It says downloading, ends in two seconds to but doesn't show up in my library. Went to downloads and it wanted to open it with Microsoft office. I tried everything suggested. Please Help!!!

Kat Meow

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I figured out how to stop the talkback! I went to settings, accessability, talkback. My setting says off but when you click on it, a menu bar appears at the bottom. Turn off the various options to get silence. Why these options worked with the app off is still a concern. Hope this helps!

silverspies

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been uninstalling and reinstalling all kinds of apps since I did a mass update to some and suddenly my phone started acting funny.

I don't know what is causing it, but suddenly when I would click on a box, like in Kindle to put my password in, or even on a web page to read something, an orange line around highlight that section and a voice would read what it was! Totally freaked me out the first time it happened. I thought it was a text-to-talk issue and uninstalled all updates for that.

That didn't help. After a lot of messing around, I finally got the voice to stop talking, but the orange line is still there.

The problem with this is that when it highlights certain things, it doesn't allow the keyboard to pop up. And sometimes when it will allow the keyboard to pop up, the delay is like having a 486 computer! It takes so long you fall asleep waiting.

I thought that maybe I could just take the whole phone back down to factory specs and start all over again, but then something odd happened. I noticed that when I was looking on this website, that that same orange line is around boxes, like the search text input and then the little search icon, only on a smaller scale since I am on my computer. That makes me think that this new thing is actually an Android update that when I do go down to specs and then install it's current update, I will still be screwed.

So, what I need to know, if anyone can help, is just how to turn that option off. I have looked through every setting for everything I can think of and can't find a way to turn that stupid highlight off. If it was just the highlight, I really wouldn't care, but it's messing with my ability to type in passwords or search words and it even made it so that when I was in the browser, it highlighted a section of an ad and wouldn't let me zoom in to the details. This is really starting to drive me nuts and totally frustrate me, which isn't good because I have ADHD and if it frustrates me too much I'll end up just throwing the stupid phone away and buying an iPhone and until now I haven't had any problems.

By the way, I have a Galaxy Rush through Boost Mobile, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help... well I HOPE someone can help me before I blow a gasket. :D

Bless your heart. Hopefully this will help. It worked for me. Look back in Accessibility, see to it that Web Enhancement is NOT checked. Turning the Web Enhancement off should solve the issue.

some1actually

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I have the same **** going on I can't turn the thing of on my htc one because she keeps talking and won't let scroll down please help me. I can't turn it off!!!!

Toshiro Kira

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
How do you turn the highlight thing off? Its so annoying! It wouldn't let me press the login button in any app!A couple of days ago i was loging in to any app just fine.. but now.. i cant even check a freaking box or even click a login button! I can scroll up and down perfectly fine.

how do you turn this thing off?
Also.. sorry for the grammars...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you still having problems with this? Have you read through this thread yet?