How do I delete a thread on Android Central?

droi29

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I posted a thread and have had no assistance so I may as well delete it. Can someone explain how to delete a thread please?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I posted a thread and have had no assistance so I may as well delete it. Can someone explain how to delete a thread please?

You can delete a post by going into Edit and then selecting delete. However, I did post a comment, therefore giving it a legitimate bump, so maybe someone will see it. However, have you tried Google Voice or Hangouts? Those are both texting apps that may help.

droi29

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your response about deleting posts, but all I can see is 'Edit post' and when I click on that, there is no option to delete the post, only to save any changes I've made to the post. I even tried deleting the text from the post and saving that, but the text still appeared on the post afterwards.

I tried pressing on 'thread tools', but nothing happens with that.

I'm using a Samsung phone , Not doing it on computer. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, because on desktop versions of websites sometimes you get access to more options than you do on a mobile phone. I'm also doing this by accessing the Android website using Opera Mini on my phone , not the Android Central app, because I downloaded that but it doesn't work.

Thanks for info regarding Hangouts, I have that on my phone. I think it came pre-loaded on the phone, but I've seen that there are a ĺot of complaints about Hangouts .
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems that with Hangouts and Google +, you can only message people who are registered on there as well, like with WhatsApp.

With Go SMS Pro, you can message people who are not registered with a Go SMS Pro.

I'm looking for something where I can send longer messages for free or for no more cost than a standard SMS, as my Samsung phone only sends maximum 3 texts at once, anymore țhan that and it converts into an MMS even if there are no pictures etc attached - and then I get charged extra. If I can send pictures and videos for free țhat would be an added bonus, but it's not a priority as I don't send lots of pictures or videos etc.

But I need something where the person Im sending it to doesn't have to be registered with the same site. I'm already using an app where I can only send longer messages with just words or pictures and videos for free if person is Registered with same thing.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your response about deleting posts, but all I can see is 'Edit post' and when I click on that, there is no option to delete the post, only to save any changes I've made to the post. I even tried deleting the text from the post and saving that, but the text still appeared on the post afterwards.

I tried pressing on 'thread tools', but nothing happens with that.

I'm using a Samsung phone , Not doing it on computer. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, because on desktop versions of websites sometimes you get access to more options than you do on a mobile phone. I'm also doing this by accessing the Android website using Opera Mini on my phone , not the Android Central app, because I downloaded that but it doesn't work.

Thanks for info regarding Hangouts, I have that on my phone. I think it came pre-loaded on the phone, but I've seen that there are a ĺot of complaints about Hangouts .
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems that with Hangouts and Google +, you can only message people who are registered on there as well, like with WhatsApp.

With Go SMS Pro, you can message people who are not registered with a Go SMS Pro.

I'm looking for something where I can send longer messages for free or for no more cost than a standard SMS, as my Samsung phone only sends maximum 3 texts at once, anymore țhan that and it converts into an MMS even if there are no pictures etc attached - and then I get charged extra. If I can send pictures and videos for free țhat would be an added bonus, but it's not a priority as I don't send lots of pictures or videos etc.

But I need something where the person Im sending it to doesn't have to be registered with the same site. I'm already using an app where I can only send longer messages with just words or pictures and videos for free if person is Registered with same thing.

Try settings on Hangouts. There is an implemented option to use for texting. Noe it may depend on which version of Hangouts you have and what version of android.
As for you deleting a thread; that may have ended when I replied.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for something where I can send longer messages for free or for no more cost than a standard SMS, as my Samsung phone only sends maximum 3 texts at once, anymore țhan that and it converts into an MMS even if there are no pictures etc attached - and then I get charged extra.
SMS (which stand for SMALL Message Service) has a limit of 140 octets (groups of 8 bits), which translates into 160 Latin (which is what we use for English) characters (which are 7 bits each). 140 * 8 / 7 = 160. It's not a matter of an app that can send longer texts, the choice for a text longer than 160 characters is to break it into multiple texts or to send it as a text file with MMS (which is just a link to a server that's doing MMS for that carrier). When you click the "picture" or "text" you're just downloading the file from the MMS server.

If you want to send longer messages you can use email. The worst limit these days on email is about 10 million characters, and If you have that much to say in 1 message, I don't think I want to read it.

All the other options require that the person receiving the message uses that option too, like WhatsApp, etc.

droi29

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97,

Thanks for the response.

Regarding deleting a thread, no, it's nothing to do with fact you posted a response to my original thread about deleting posts
I couldn't find anyway to delete the post even before you replied. I tried clicking on Edit before I posted asking how to delete, but there wasn't anything saying delete then either, only option to save changes basically.

Re Hangouts, the version I have is 1.2.018,uses software Vidyo Inc. My phone operating system is Android Jellybean 4.1.2.

I went into the settings on Hangouts and there is nothing to do with SMS/ texting there at all.

droi29

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
SMS (which stand for SMALL Message Service) has a limit of 140 octets (groups of 8 bits), which translates into 160 Latin (which is what we use for English) characters (which are 7 bits each). 140 * 8 / 7 = 160. It's not a matter of an app that can send longer texts, the choice for a text longer than 160 characters is to break it into multiple texts or to send it as a text file with MMS (which is just a link to a server that's doing MMS for that carrier). When you click the "picture" or "text" you're just downloading the file from the MMS server.

If you want to send longer messages you can use email. The worst limit these days on email is about 10 million characters, and If you have that much to say in 1 message, I don't think I want to read it.

All the other options require that the person receiving the message uses that option too, like WhatsApp, etc.

Thanks for response Rukbat. I've heard of concatenated messages, where you type a longer message and its broken down into smaller messages so it can be delivered , but then recipient you sent it to gets it as one single text.

With MMS, all I know is that using standard messaging on my Samsung phone, each text is 160 characters like you said and so I can send 3 texts in one go (3 X 160 characters) and after that, it converts it to an MMS and I get charged extra.
On my basic Nokia phone, which isn't a smartphone, I can send 6 texts in one message. I don't know if that is 160 X 6 characters as it doesn't show the amount of characters on the phone it only shows once it changes to MMS (I. e. once you've gone over the maximum number of characters allowed or if you attach a picture.)

With Go SMS Pro application,Once you register your number and country, you are supposed to be able to use their Go Share feature and send free MMS. With this Go SMS Pro , it's not sending MMS where I've tried to attach a picture even though it's not too large in size.

When I've sent messages , it shows you how many characters you are typing. When I have typed longer messages without adding a picture, it is not showing as an MMS, but when I've checked my mobile phone account, I'm being charged extra for them . But for some reason I'm only being charged 5p for each one thankfully.

Now the Go SMS Pro staff are telling me I need to buy Free MMS Pro. When z I've asked what that is they don't answer. When z I've Googled it, I don't get any info, just takes you to their Go SMS Pro app. One person tells you one thing when you email them and another tells you something else. When you ask them which is correct, they don't bother to answer. They tell you they will delete MMS after 30 days so you need to save them but won't say how you save it. Only thing I can think of is that you lock the message on your phone.
Their staff don't seem to understand half of what you say, they are in China I think - and when they have responded, their English isn't very good. I'm fed up of it now.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97,

Thanks for the response.

Regarding deleting a thread, no, it's nothing to do with fact you posted a response to my original thread about deleting posts
I couldn't find anyway to delete the post even before you replied. I tried clicking on Edit before I posted asking how to delete, but there wasn't anything saying delete then either, only option to save changes basically.

Re Hangouts, the version I have is 1.2.018,uses software Vidyo Inc. My phone operating system is Android Jellybean 4.1.2.

I went into the settings on Hangouts and there is nothing to do with SMS/ texting there at all.

Strange...Google says you should be able to use it on 4.0 and better.
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3441321?hl=en

droi29

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Strange...Google says you should be able to use it on 4.0 and better.
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3441321?hl=en

I don't know what's going on there really. But thanks for reply Golfdriver97 . :)

I don't know if you can help with a couple of other issues.

The Android app does not work on my phone. I can't login.
When I accessed Android Central using the standard Internet app on my phone and access what appears to be the mobile version of the site I can not log in on that version either most of the time

I accessed the full site using Opera Mini browser which compresses the data so I use less of my data allowance . I logged in and have stayed logged into it and whenever I go into it, it automatically takes me to the page where I can access my threads. But sometimes Opera Mini browser keeps buffering and I can't access things and have to use the standard Internet app instead.

I accessed the full site using the standard Internet app on my phone, but I can't see anywhere to log in to get access to my own specific threads without having to search through loads of threads. I don't know if it's that I can not remember what I did before or that there is something not showing up on the page.

1) Can you tell me where I go to login please? I know it's really basic, but I can't see anywhere on page to log in

2) If I click on the settings icon, whether I click on 'manage account' or 'forum settings', it still takes me to my account page with my name and email. What is 'forum settings' supposed to show? And do you know why it doesn't take me to the right page for forum settings when I click on it?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what's going on there really. But thanks for reply Golfdriver97 . :)

I don't know if you can help with a couple of other issues.

The Android app does not work on my phone. I can't login.
When I accessed Android Central using the standard Internet app on my phone and access what appears to be the mobile version of the site I can not log in on that version either most of the time

I accessed the full site using Opera Mini browser which compresses the data so I use less of my data allowance . I logged in and have stayed logged into it and whenever I go into it, it automatically takes me to the page where I can access my threads. But sometimes Opera Mini browser keeps buffering and I can't access things and have to use the standard Internet app instead.

I accessed the full site using the standard Internet app on my phone, but I can't see anywhere to log in to get access to my own specific threads without having to search through loads of threads. I don't know if it's that I can not remember what I did before or that there is something not showing up on the page.

1) Can you tell me where I go to login please? I know it's really basic, but I can't see anywhere on page to log in

2) If I click on the settings icon, whether I click on 'manage account' or 'forum settings', it still takes me to my account page with my name and email. What is 'forum settings' supposed to show? And do you know why it doesn't take me to the right page for forum settings when I click on it?

Are you using Android Central App or the Forums App?
Forums app should be clicking the menu drawer at the top left, and clicking Log in or Sign up.
I will have to check the other app, as to how to log in.
Personally, I prefer the Forums app for posting.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Android Central App is the same way; click the drawer button on the top left, and I think you click on Account.