Too many playlists in Play Music [Solved, I Suppose]

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So at some point in time it seems that Google's Play Music app auto-generated hundreds of music playlists. So many, in fact, that it takes minutes to process everything when I try to delete one. My problem is that there's no option to delete multiple playlists at once.

My question: does anyone know where the playlists are stored on the phone? If I log in to my music account online it shows no playlists so they're stored locally. I just want to get rid of these stupid things so I can make and use a playlist of my own for the first time since I got this phone. Over time I've been able to delete all the playlists starting with the letter A, and they haven't been re-added automatically, so it's not continually regenerating them, at least.

My phone is rooted so I have access to the whole filesystem. However, I haven't been able to find these anywhere and Google support won't or can't tell me where they're stored and just offer copy/paste basic support. I've looked for individual files, archives, and databases. I don't know if I'm just missing it, looking in the wrong place, or am incapable of finding them.

Last edited:

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Too many playlists in Play Music

Seems like a strong case for "delete cache"+"Delete data"+"Force close" from the app manager... Unless Google backed-it all up to the cloud and the app re-downloads everything from your online profile upon restart, that might clear up the bloat...

Good luck

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Seems like a strong case for "delete cache"+"Delete data"+"Force close" from the app manager... Unless Google backed-it all up to the cloud and the app re-downloads everything from your online profile upon restart, that might clear up the bloat...

Good luck

I've tried that before, and again just now. It seems I'll need more than luck for this. I remember in the past a Google service rep telling me the playlists were on my phone locally since they didn't show up on music.google.com.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

To update, because I don't think I ever mentioned this fully: These playlists do not show up on my tablet or on music.google.com, but playlists made on music.google.com show up on both. It's definitely local, but I still can't find a directory or database file that contains them. I'll try contacting support again and see if they're any more help this time.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I uninstalled the program updates and deleting the playlists went quicker. It only took a little over 90 minutes to delete them all after that. Support was, as could have been expected, no help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance