Android Is Sluggish

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both use Samsung Rugby Androids and they both seem really
sluggish to answer when given a command. There is a long hesitation between
pushing a button and getting the phone to react.
Is there a way to achieve an overall speed-up on this phone?

Regards,
Len

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The issue is likely Samsung's very heavy software on low end hardware. Uninstall and/or disable some apps or do a hard reset or just deal with it.

Posted via Android Central App

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I both use Samsung Rugby Androids and they both seem really
sluggish to answer when given a command. There is a long hesitation between
pushing a button and getting the phone to react.
Is there a way to achieve an overall speed-up on this phone?

Regards,
Len

Have you tried installing clean master from the app store it might be because your phones cache needs cleaning...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
The issue is likely Samsung's very heavy software on low end hardware. Uninstall and/or disable some apps or do a hard reset or just deal with it.

Well I guess I'll have to deal with it because there are not a lot of excess apps. running on the phone. But I will check out Clean Master
and see what that's all about.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Does it speed up a bit after rebooting?

Yes it does......for a while. I turn it off at night just because it seems to run better after the re-organization the
re-boot creates. But it's really only temporary. The lag time is sometimes maddening, especially when I get a text
message and wait for texting to open. Why?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does......for a while. I turn it off at night just because it seems to run better after the re-organization the
re-boot creates. But it's really only temporary. The lag time is sometimes maddening, especially when I get a text
message and wait for texting to open. Why?

It is TouchWiz, the skinned version of Android. It can get lag especially on lower end devices. You can try installing a launcher from Play. That might help with some of the lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I have not installed anything called TouchWiz. Never heard of it until now.
Is there no cure for the lag time on this device?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Its Samsung's version of Android. The way the skin works is it can cause lag when opening applications. Have you tried rebooting into recovery to clear cache?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Like Golfdriver said. It comes with the phone, so unless you flash another ROM it probably won't get any better

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Trying an alternative launcher is a good idea. Launchers are essentially the homescreen interface--there are a number of alternatives available, and some can improve performance, because they're more lightweight (TouchWiz requires a lot of memory, and really needs a fairly powerful processor in order to function smoothly). Try installing Nova Launcher.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Depending on which version of Rugby you have, if you have the first version (i847) it only run Android Gingerbread, which I don't think Nova Launcher is compatible with. In which case, try Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher instead.

If you run a newer Rugby (i547) that run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, there is a feature to disable system apps so they won't run in the background. If your phone run Android 4.0+, I would: backup everything, factory reset the phone, disable system apps, install a third party launcher like Nova Launcher.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Depending on which version of Rugby you have, if you have the first version (i847) it only run Android Gingerbread, which I don't think Nova Launcher is compatible with. In which case, try Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher instead.

If you run a newer Rugby (i547) that run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, there is a feature to disable system apps so they won't run in the background. If your phone run Android 4.0+, I would: backup everything, factory reset the phone, disable system apps, install a third party launcher like Nova Launcher.

Thanks--you're correct, Nova Launcher requires Android 4.0 or above.

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I can use either Launcher Pro or Touch Wiz. Which is better or should I get both and switch to see which is better? I can do
that, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can always switch the default launcher. KitKat has an actual System Setting that allows you to choose your launcher, but on earlier versions of Android, what you need to do is go to Settings>Apps (or the App Manager on Samsung devices), find the launcher (e.g., Launcher Pro), tap it and tap Clear Defaults. Then the next time you press the Home button, it will ask you which launcher you want to run, and you can select the other one as default.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I can use either Launcher Pro or Touch Wiz. Which is better or should I get both and switch to see which is better? I can do
that, right?
I don't recommended LauncherPro, its outdated and no longer developed. Try Apex Launcher, Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't recommended LauncherPro, its outdated and no longer developed. Try Apex Launcher, Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher.

Apex requires 4.0.3, so it won't work. The other two should, 2.1 and 2.2, respectively.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01