newbie question re android search

retired05

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the galaxy discover phone from bell . new to android always had an iphone . Can someone explain the difference between the google search bar on the home screen and the browser when i go to the applications .

does it matter which i use ? for example if i know the www address or if I just want to search say for car rentals and do not know the web address.

also my phone is a bell prepaid phone and when I use the browser to find a page i get a little pop up that says something about bell mobi whatever that is and telling me to bookmark it

anyone i would appreciate some help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Google Search is a separate app from the Browser. If you enter a search term there, the app will do the search on the web and return the results. However, if you tap on any of those links, the page will then open in the Browser.

If you do the search in the Browser, then it'll be done using Google Search on the web. So there's no huge difference.

Not sure about the Bell popup.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the galaxy discover phone from bell . new to android always had an iphone . Can someone explain the difference between the google search bar on the home screen and the browser when i go to the applications .

does it matter which i use ? for example if i know the www address or if I just want to search say for car rentals and do not know the web address.

also my phone is a bell prepaid phone and when I use the browser to find a page i get a little pop up that says something about bell mobi whatever that is and telling me to bookmark it

anyone i would appreciate some help

Welcome to the forums!
I hope B. Diddy was able to clarify.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

retired05

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Google Search is a separate app from the Browser. If you enter a search term there, the app will do the search on the web and return the results. However, if you tap on any of those links, the page will then open in the Browser.

If you do the search in the Browser, then it'll be done using Google Search on the web. So there's no huge difference.

Not sure about the Bell popup.

Posted via Android Central App

thanks for the explanation . I can do a search from google on the home page and get results . If i go to browser and do a search i get a message saying Google may be unavailable or moved to a new location . make sure data is active or check the spelling . i dont know why it would do that . Sorry it took so long to post

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Spelling doesn't matter in a Google search. I just searched on dasfqegt (that's what I got when I hit some random keys) and got a hit. It's pretty difficult to get Google to come up with nothing.

If you already know the URL, why are you using Google? Just put the URL into the browser's address bar and go there directly.

retired05

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Spelling doesn't matter in a Google search. I just searched on dasfqegt (that's what I got when I hit some random keys) and got a hit. It's pretty difficult to get Google to come up with nothing.

If you already know the URL, why are you using Google? Just put the URL into the browser's address bar and go there directly.

I just like to have everything working on the phone the way it should . the wifi is active with a good signal . sometimes it works sometimes not .
Ig i were to search for say gas stations in the home screen google bar or if i go to browser in the apps and do the same search sometimes i will get results most times i get server unavailable

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ig i were to search for say gas stations in the home screen google bar or if i go to browser in the apps and do the same search sometimes i will get results most times i get server unavailable
Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant you put androidcentral.com in Google to get the link to get to this site, instead of just putting it into the search bar. (Some people think Google is the internet, and you have to start everything there.)

BTW, for gas stations, other than Maps or Mapquest (voice search "gulf gas station" and you'll get one). Gas Buddy is about the best for gas stations. Location, distance from you (listed by distance or price) and price. If you don't know the area, you can save 10 or 15 cents/gallon by driving a few blocks.

retired05

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant you put androidcentral.com in Google to get the link to get to this site, instead of just putting it into the search bar. (Some people think Google is the internet, and you have to start everything there.)

BTW, for gas stations, other than Maps or Mapquest (voice search "gulf gas station" and you'll get one). Gas Buddy is about the best for gas stations. Location, distance from you (listed by distance or price) and price. If you don't know the area, you can save 10 or 15 cents/gallon by driving a few blocks.

Thanks
just used gas stations as an example . My problem is i do not get any search results for anything. I get the server unavailable or the address has moved or changed for google.com with the green android guy photo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge