TWRP Taking up too much Storage Space

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted HTC One and I have TWRP 2.6.3.3. Recently my phone's battery life has started to go down and I though I'll check the storage and what not, uninstall some apps im not using and some other stuff. It was then I found that my recovery was taking up in excess of 8GB ! I've backed up my phone using TWRP only a few times and each backup is taking up nearly 3GB of space.
I was wondering If I delete the previous backups and keep the current one (back it up on my PC) would that be a good way to solve the storage issues ?! Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would only keep the most current backup. Average TWRP/CWM backups today range around 1 GB or more depending on how much personal content (pics, media, apps, etc. ) you have on your device at the time of a backup.

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would only keep the most current backup. Average TWRP/CWM backups today range around 1 GB or more depending on how much personal content (pics, media, apps, etc. ) you have on your device at the time of a backup.

Mines were roughly 2.7 GB and I just have quite a few apps and photos and I still have over 11.3 GB remaining but as you know every little helps !
How should I delete them ?! Should I just plug it in my PC and do it through that ?! To my knowledge TWRP names them by the date so I should keep the latest and delete the rest ?!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can try to locate them using your computer or if you boot into TWRP and select Restore (a backup) it will give you the option to select and delete your old backups.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would just use TWRP's option. Select RESTORE, then it will show you all your backups. Find the older ones by DATE and select it, then on the next screen instead of SWIPE TO RESTORE look up and to the right a bit and you will see DELETE BACKUP.

Done. Space regained ;)

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I would just use TWRP's option. Select RESTORE, then it will show you all your backups. Find the older ones by DATE and select it, then on the next screen instead of SWIPE TO RESTORE look up and to the right a bit and you will see DELETE BACKUP.

Done. Space regained ;)

I just done it and I made a mistake and I kept booting into recovery but I cleverly made a back up before trying so I just restored that, deleted the other backups and I've regained 6 GB worth of space ! THANK YOU !!!! I was wondering when TWRP makes a back up, does it back up the ROM as well ?!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes a backup in TWRP/CWM makes an exact image of your device at that point in time with the stock settings. You can change things to include or remove certain things, but its best to just stick with the stock setting.

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes a backup in TWRP/CWM makes an exact image of your device at that point in time with the stock settings. You can change things to include or remove certain things, but its best to just stick with the stock setting.

Thanks ! So flashing a new ROM and then using TWRP recovery wouldnt be the ideal thing to do then !

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, the amount of storage being used has absolutely nothing to do with battery life. Storage doesn't use the battery to hold data in it.

Second, the only reason to flash a new ROM is because you want features in the new ROM that you don't currently have. You can do a backup, flash a new ROM, then if you don't like the new ROM, restore back to the old one. If you're going to be doing that, I'd name the backups with the date AND the name of the ROM (the original HTC I'd call Stock.)

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
First, the amount of storage being used has absolutely nothing to do with battery life. Storage doesn't use the battery to hold data in it.

Second, the only reason to flash a new ROM is because you want features in the new ROM that you don't currently have. You can do a backup, flash a new ROM, then if you don't like the new ROM, restore back to the old one. If you're going to be doing that, I'd name the backups with the date AND the name of the ROM (the original HTC I'd call Stock.)

Thanks, I was trying to save battery life and that's when I stumbled across this huge storage issue, I just wanted some storage back
I was thinking if I switch to a ASOP ROM, would my battery life increase ?!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I was trying to save battery life and that's when I stumbled across this huge storage issue, I just wanted some storage back
I was thinking if I switch to a ASOP ROM, would my battery life increase ?!

Generally speaking, yes. There are a lot less resources being run on the device. How much battery life would you save I really can't say, but you'll definitely see some improvement.

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Generally speaking, yes. There are a lot less resources being run on the device. How much battery life would you save I really can't say, but you'll definitely see some improvement.

Thanks, my only reservation is that I'm moving away from Sense and I'll lose some Sense specific features

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, my only reservation is that I'm moving away from Sense and I'll lose some Sense specific features

Yes, that's definitely the down side. However, keep in mind that the Play Store has good alternatives to everything your device currently offers. Let us know how it goes.

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's definitely the down side. However, keep in mind that the Play Store has good alternatives to everything your device currently offers. Let us know how it goes.

Will do ! Can I ask is their another copy of TWRP backup which literally restores everything apart from the ROM ?! I was happy when it restored and my phone was the same as before

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair