Please Help! Can't Get Galaxy S4 Keyboards To Remember Words Now

amocksun

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
As of a few days ago, my Galaxy S4 suddenly forgot all the words I regularly use (read: "bad" words). I now have to type each letter out every time, whereas I was just able to swype them and it knew what word I wanted.

- In my Language and Input section I had three options: Google voice typing, Samsung keyboard, and Swype. Google voice typing keeps being checked even if I uncheck it, and the other two have check boxes but won't react if I try to check them.

- I went into each and made sure all options like "Block offensive words" is unselected.

-I downloaded Google Keyboard in the Play store and selected that as default (though Google voice typing is still also selected) and went in and turned off Block offensive words. I added my own offensive words to the dictionary. It's still not recognizing them.

Someone please help! Between my friends' strange names and my foul vocabulary, texting is suddenly much more time consuming! Thanks :)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Kind of weird. Seems like you've done everything right.
Was there an update recently that could've knock out your "words"?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

amocksun

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't really keep up with that stuff, but someone mentioned a recent update to me. Either way...I don't know how to fix it now!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you done a battery pull?
Sometimes that little thing can help.

How about going into each keyboard app and clear the cache to start fresh?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

NickWager1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If you select Swype as your default, it should automatically remember the words once you type them and then tap on the word in the bar above the keyboard. It will prompt you to "add to the dictionary" automatically. Any reason you chose Google keyboard over swype? I've found swype to be the best. Also, you can leave all the boxes you mentioned in your first post checked, and it won't change anything.

Amilia112

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
My sister and I both have this phone and this happened to both of us as well we did not update anything just one day autocorrect forgot all of our saved words . It used to be that after I typed it once it would remember it or I would have the option to save it, that option is not there anymore and now I have to make sure that it doesn't substitute a simple word like "ok" with something else. It is very annoying, any ideas?

Keith Shaw

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
As of a few days ago, my Galaxy S4 suddenly forgot all the words I regularly use (read: "bad" words). I now have to type each letter out every time, whereas I was just able to swype them and it knew what word I wanted.

- In my Language and Input section I had three options: Google voice typing, Samsung keyboard, and Swype. Google voice typing keeps being checked even if I uncheck it, and the other two have check boxes but won't react if I try to check them.

- I went into each and made sure all options like "Block offensive words" is unselected.

-I downloaded Google Keyboard in the Play store and selected that as default (though Google voice typing is still also selected) and went in and turned off Block offensive words. I added my own offensive words to the dictionary. It's still not recognizing them.

Someone please help! Between my friends' strange names and my foul vocabulary, texting is suddenly much more time consuming! Thanks :)

I had this problem too, that i found was that the Samsung off/on toggles have sub menus too which makes a horrible user interface experience.

Go to Settings > Language and input
Click on the cog next to Samsung Keyboard
Click the label for 'predictive text'
Select Personalised data

See if that helps

Tienie Vorster

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I managed to solve my S4 issue. It must have been some update or "reset to factory settings". Here is what I did. Go to settings, my device, language and input, tap on "gear" next to "samsung keyboard", tap on predictive text (my predictive text was on), then tap on "learn from" option you prefer. Once I did that all came back.

The Sheriff 786

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I have the same problem. This happened after the last kernel update 3.4.5-2434847.

I've tried what you've suggested. Didn't work before. But I've reset and done it again.. I hope this works.

Last edited:

wcwaldsc

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I am really getting tired of this problem and cannot solve it. My phone forgot all of my words sometime this summer.

If I disable the Swype keyboard they come back, but everytime I restart my phone it re-enables it as the default. I have gone into the Swype settings and enabled everything that appears it would need to remember words, but it doesn't change anything.

I even select Samsung Keyboard as my default, but it still resets back to the Swype when I restart the phone. Is there any way I can get rid of Swype?

ohhhceciliahhh

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my note 4 and I noticed it started happening after my phone updated. I'm pretty sure it's the update, try uninstalling jt

Lisa Zaharakis

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I was unable to get that to work with facebook and my email...the only email account u can tap that option for is a google account(gmail) and I onlu use my Hotmail account...this is driving me nuts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay