How to turn on an Android phone with a broken power button?

Psystalker

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, my android phone's power button stopped working a few weeks ago. It wasn't a big problem, but a few days ago, the battery died. Now it is turned off and I can't turn it on. When I put it in charge, it just shows the charging screen. The phone is a Winmax W8000 (Winmax is Bangladeshi company. I'm from Bangladesh). It runs on Jellybean (4.1). It wasn't rooted. I tried to get into Download mode, but pressing the volume buttons and plugging in the charger doesn't help. I can't send it to the repair shop due to family issues. I don't have a PC either. What can I do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to turn on an android phone with a broken power button ?

:-!:-!
Hi, my android phone's power button stopped working a few weeks ago. It wasn't a big problem, but a few days ago, the battery died. Now it is turned off and I can't turn it on. When I put it in charge, it just shows the charging screen. The phone is a Winmax W8000 (Winmax is Bangladeshi company. I'm from Bangladesh). It runs on Jellybean (4.1). It wasn't rooted. I tried to get into Download mode, but pressing the volume buttons and plugging in the charger doesn't help. I can't send it to the repair shop due to family issues. I don't have a PC either. What can I do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

well in this case would prefer you to use a stick in order to power on your phone !!

Psystalker

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Well, I tried pressing the switch with a micro-screwdriver, but didn't work!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like the button is jammed. Can you try pulling or prying it back up with a tweezers?

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

vavix

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Did you try pulling out the battery? I had this problem with a nexus s. I turned the screen off using an app and woke it using volume buttons (can find it in settings).

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

There's an app called button saviour but you can only use it if you're rooted...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

Psystalker

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Well, my problem is about turning the system on, not the screen. I had 'Fix Broken Power Button' app to unlock the screen. But now my whole phone is turned off, not just the screen.
P.S. The button wasn't jammed.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Can you remove the battery from that phone? Test it for being swollen by putting it on a table and flicking a corner of the battery. If it spins easily it's swollen and should be replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

All the switch does is short the contacts as long as you have it pressed. Short the contacts until the phone starts to power up.

Psystalker

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

But how ? I tried to disassemble my phone, but after I removed the screws, it was still intact.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Try to use a guitar pick to gently peel the back off. They use adhesive on many phones now.

Edit: or not. When I asked if you could remove the battery I actually meant whether the phone could easily be opened. I wouldn't want you to do anything worse to your phone trying to pry it open.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

But how ? I tried to disassemble my phone, but after I removed the screws, it was still intact.
The switch is going to look intact. You have to remove it and solder t wires to the switch contacts. (Although at this point it's just as easy to solder in a new switch.)

Psystalker

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Not the switch ! My phone's inner casing looks intact even after I remove all the screws, SIMs, memory card and the battery. I tried to pry the casing off, but didn't work. Sliding it around? Nope, didn't work either.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Then bring it into a repair shop and have them replace the switch - or you're going to end up with a pile of useless parts.

chamiqueadrian

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm New To This . I Would Not Be Up Here , If I Did Not Need You Guys Help .
My Power Button Is Broken . And I Have To Restart My Phone . I Have A LG Phone. I Know The Steps Of How To Restart It .. Its Just My Power Button .. My Power Button Works On And Off .. But Mostly Off . So My Question Is .. Do ANYBODY Have Any Idea How I Can Restart My Phone If My Power Button Is Broken?:-$

Can You HELP ME PLEASE !

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! No need to yell. Did you read through the rest of this thread? Essentially, you'll have to get the power button repaired at a shop or an LG service center. There's no software method to power a phone completely on from an off state if the power button is broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech