Internal Storage consumed by deleted Pictures ? SD card save location setting not working

aprod26

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Background:
I have a ZTE Awe with Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

I just recently mounted a 32GB SD card in the efforts to expand my storage capabilities and realized (after a little research) that this is mostly beneficial for storing media. After learning that, I figured I would start moving any permissible apps and pictures to the SD card to avoid all the 'insufficient storage' and 'low memory' warnings.

In addition, I changed my 'Save Location' (under Storage Settings) from 'Phone' to 'SD Card.'

ISSUE:
The issue that I have noticed is that after moving all my pictures to my SD card, the Internal Storage 'Pictures, videos' segment says that it contained about 34MB. I thought this was odd as I moved all my pictures to the SD card and deleted the albums stored on the phone. So, as a test, I took another picture. Sure enough, now it contains about 35MB and remains the same even after I deleted that new photo.

So the question is, why does the internal storage being consumed by pictures that were transferred or deleted? Based on my experiment, it will continue to consume space even though I am deleting the images.

Additional Question:
I have read on some other forums that the camera app has a setting to determine the default storage location of where new pictures are stored. However, when I go to 'Storage Location' under the camera options, it just takes me to the 'Storage Settings' menu from the main 'Settings' menu and I can't do anything different other than see that my 'Save Location' is already 'SD Card' as opposed to 'Phone'.

How can I ensure that all future pictures, videos and media are by default saved to the SD card?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The 1 MB increase after taking a picture might be due to an added thumbnail of that pic that is used as a reference for the Gallery app. It may be that the full image is stored on the external SD card, but you can't change the location of the thumbnail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon01