I have a T-mobile LG G2 and this phone comes with an Infrared (IR) Blaster. The main advertised use is to change the channel on the TV, DVR, Blu-Ray player, etc. but i know LG also allows you to control air conditioners. Well I was wondering if it is possible to program the IR blaster to control devices other than the select few options shown on the stock app. My ceiling fan/light is able to be controlled remotely and i was wondering if there is a way to use my phone to control it instead of the included remote, as i tend to lose it. Seems like this should be within the realm of possibility as LG brags that you can program the IR blaster.

Any recommendations would great thanks!
    01-17-2014 07:19 PM
    1) Most ceiling fan remotes work by RF (radio) not by IR.

2) You can probably program the IR app - if you know what the device needs for each code - or if LG provides you with a "learning" app. (You point the remote at the phone and press a button on the remote. The phone saves that code and lets you name it.) Since there's probably no IR receiver in the phone, that's probably not doable.

I think what they mean by "programmable" is that we (the users) can write apps that program the IR Blaster.
    llmike23ll likes this.
    01-17-2014 08:48 PM
    After a little research i think you were right, my ceiling fan does use radio waves and not infrared. Oh well it was worth a shot.
    01-17-2014 10:58 PM