A phone for my dad (first time smartphone user/Verizon)

Jeremiah Leaver

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My dad is currently in the market for a smart phone, he said he was looking to spend 60 dollars or so, I suggested a minimum of 100, thinking that he might avoid some of the oldest of the old. He currently has a contract with Verizon with 500mb data and unlimited texting. He is not looking to buy a subsidized phone, so will likely be looking for something used or refurb on amazon or ebay. I suggested an android phone over some keyboard and minimal internet setup. Does anyone have any advice as to what brand/source I should be looking for? Thinking ~100 with basic capability to browse the internet, text, and use e-mail. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: A phone for my dad (first time smartphone user/ Verizon)

I would push as you said for the $100 range. It gives him much better options. As for a recommendation I'll leave that up to the Verizon regulars here :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Keep an eye on daily deal sites like 1sale.com, DailySteals.com, IceMonkey.com, and Woot.com. These sites periodically feature some halfway decent phones from 1-2 yrs ago (like the Droid Razr, for example) that are refurbished or reconditioned, and go for around $60-80, with free shipping. Nothing currently available, though--I checked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Not a bad selection there. From personal experience, the Droid Incredible is a decent inexpensive choice, as long as it's a good unit--when I had one, I had to get a replacement due to a random reboots and a wonky touchscreen, but the replacement was perfect. You'd be stuck on Gingerbread (2.3), but if your father just needs a basic device, it might be worthwhile.

Jeremiah Leaver

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm liking the look of the droid razr maxx, apparently the only difference between that and the razr are thickness due to a larger battery being in the maxx. thanks for the help, at least glyde can give you kind of a side by side experience, seems a little more palatable than ebay. The galaxy nexus also looks decent.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would stay away from the Galaxy Nexus. Yes its a Nexus but that particular device was plaqued with radio reception issues and also very poor battery life.

Sent from my awesome HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital