Corporate e-mail

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My current device is a BlackBerry 9930 that's going to be retired later today when I get the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's no longer available, but I've been using the old BlackBerry Desktop Manager software that includes a Redirector program that runs on the work computer to send/receive work e-mails on my phone. This avoids the whole IT lockdown on my own personal phone while giving me the only thing I need, which is e-mail access. Is there something similar in the Android community?

If not, would IT have control over my device if I were to add the e-mail account to my device? Something I'd like to avoid as it's my personal phone...

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Was looking to set this up and realized you have to create a paid account for the text messages... any other alternative to this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can create an account on your Android phone, and make it your corporate account. All you need, if the phone doesn't handshake automatically, is the server addresses, ports and security type. You already know your login and password.

If the corporate account isn't POP3/IMAP and SMTP, you might need a helper app (such as the one for Outlook running Exchange protocol).

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
text messages? WTF?

With that link you've provided, setting up redirection means redirecting incoming e-mail messages via SMS unless I'm doing something wrong...

You can create an account on your Android phone, and make it your corporate account. All you need, if the phone doesn't handshake automatically, is the server addresses, ports and security type. You already know your login and password.

If the corporate account isn't POP3/IMAP and SMTP, you might need a helper app (such as the one for Outlook running Exchange protocol).

Unfortunately it isn't POP3/IMAP/SMTP... Where can I get more details on this helper app that would utilize the Exchange protocol?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
With that link you've provided, setting up redirection means redirecting incoming e-mail messages via SMS unless I'm doing something wrong...

Unfortunately it isn't POP3/IMAP/SMTP... Where can I get more details on this helper app that would utilize the Exchange protocol?

No. You simply redirect from Outlook server to a secondary Gmail address. No texts involved.

Last edited:

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hrmm, piecing things together and I think I'm able to get something working that will work nicely using the links and suggestions provided. Basically logged into the webmail interface for my work account to create a rule there using the Redirect option instead of the Forward. With Redirect the messages pretty much gets passed unmodified while Forward alters the message before passing. Used a GMail address to have the messages sent to and then followed the GMail link provided in this thread to use Google's "Send As" option to allow me to send e-mail as a specific account. Only thing I needed to make all this happen was to create a separate GMail account so that it can be more easily managed...

Thanks Gekko, Rukbat!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm, piecing things together and I think I'm able to get something working that will work nicely using the links and suggestions provided. Basically logged into the webmail interface for my work account to create a rule there using the Redirect option instead of the Forward. With Redirect the messages pretty much gets passed unmodified while Forward alters the message before passing. Used a GMail address to have the messages sent to and then followed the GMail link provided in this thread to use Google's "Send As" option to allow me to send e-mail as a specific account. Only thing I needed to make all this happen was to create a separate GMail account so that it can be more easily managed...

Thanks Gekko, Rukbat!

you did it! you really did it!

glad you figured it out.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I was going to post https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync but I guess you don't need it.

Thanks, looking into this option now. For some reason the Redirect rule is getting skipped, as well as a similar Forward rule. Contacting IT now to see if these rules are forbidden or what... if they are, I'll go with the program you've provided.

EDIT: just confirmed with IT that forward/redirect rules are stopped at the server side of things. Let's see if the Google app works...

EDIT #2: blah, there goes that idea... Google Apps Sync is only available for business or education accounts, not free ones! Any other suggestions?!

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
My current device is a BlackBerry 9930 that's going to be retired later today when I get the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's no longer available, but I've been using the old BlackBerry Desktop Manager software that includes a Redirector program that runs on the work computer to send/receive work e-mails on my phone. This avoids the whole while giving me the only thing I need, which is e-mail access. Is there something similar in the Android community?

If not, would IT have control over my device if I were to add the e-mail account to my device? Something I'd like to avoid as it's my personal phone...

what specifically are you worried about when you say "IT lockdown on my own personal phone"? what exactly is the big deal and what exactly are you afraid of?

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
what specifically are you worried about when you say "IT lockdown on my own personal phone"? what exactly is the big deal and what exactly are you afraid of?

If I saw correctly on my coworker's device when he added emails to his device, there were a whole bunch of IT policies downloaded to his phone. What I'm "afraid" of is what happens on a BlackBerry device when you do the same... IT sets up a bunch of restrictions on the phone and that's what I do not want. I want my device to be my device...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
But the corporate emails aren't yours - they belong to the corporation, so they want control over what happens to them.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I understand that they want control over them... they're unwilling to provide me with a device so I'm asking because when I had a BlackBerry there was software on the PC side that would allow me to do this and IT had no issues with it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Because RIM said here were no issues. There were, but you can't get fired for showing the CEO the letter from another company saying that you're doing it right.

Pretty soon you'll be able to do it with Samsung phones, using Knox. That kind of divides the phone between a corporate phone and a personal phone. The phone number is the same, but your corporate email goes to the corporate side, not the personal side.

Never mind that Knox has a security hole larger than the fort it's named after - if Samsung assures corporate America that Knox will keep their data safe, they'll buy it. Barnum was a piker - there's one born every nanosecond.