Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

secrecyguy

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung S3 with VirginMobile. I know in the past several years ago, you have to root the phone in order to make your phone into a WiFi Hotspot.

I just wondering if this is still true? Can I make my phone into a WiFi Hotspot without rooting the phone? If so, how can I do it?

The reason I ask, I am planning to get an Android tablet. I am going to end up getting a off brand Android tablet.

Thanks for any help! :)

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung S3 with VirginMobile. I know in the past several years ago, you have to root the phone in order to make your phone into a WiFi Hotspot.

I just wondering if this is still true? Can I make my phone into a WiFi Hotspot without rooting the phone? If so, how can I do it?

The reason I ask, I am planning to get an Android tablet. I am going to end up getting a off brand Android tablet.

well, in android you can do this without rooting there is an option called as tethering that allows you to turn your device into a wifi hotspot !!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of non-root tethering apps, the problem is VM. It appears that, like Verizon, they're blocking tethering unless you pay for a tethering account. Since the blocking is done at the office, there's nothing you can do at the phone to get around it. Enjoy it while you have it - it may not last long.

secrecyguy

May 14, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of non-root tethering apps, the problem is VM. It appears that, like Verizon, they're blocking tethering unless you pay for a tethering account. Since the blocking is done at the office, there's nothing you can do at the phone to get around it. Enjoy it while you have it - it may not last long.

I don't have Verizon. I have VirginMobile.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Here dude this is short video I made for you hope it helps turn on the hotspot.

Galaxy S4 hotspot tutorial - YouTube

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Verizon. I have VirginMobile.
I said that it appears that, like Verizon, VM is also starting to block free tethering. Once we figure out how to get something for free, the corporations are going to figure out how they're going to charge you for it.

When I was a kid, one of the jokes was that if they could figure a way they'd charge for air. It's no longer joke - try to fill your tires for free. I wouldn't be totally amazed if, in a few years, every time you looked at the time on your phone, it cost you something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith