Coming from Windows Phone, with a specific question

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok so really the only thing holding me back from switching to Android is one very killer feature found here: Music Search | Windows Phone How-to (United States). I use this all the time, and no matter where I am or what I am doing, if I hear a song on the radio, in a store, on the commode, whatever, in literally two clicks I know exactly what I am hearing. Three more clicks and the song is downloading on to my phone. Best part is, this is baked in to the phone OS and not third party.

Is there a way to do this on Android (thinking about getting a 4.3/4.4 device) WITHOUT a third party app? If so, is there a tutorial somewhere? If so, I am so getting a new LG instead of a new Lumia, really am tired of looking at the same 25 games in the Windows Phone store.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!!

Yes, I believe Sound Search comes pre-installed on most Android devices (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it works just as you described. You can have it listen to songs and if you like them, you can download them right from the Play Music store.

If it's not pre-installed you can always download it from the Play Store. It's a app made by Google so it's not a third party app :)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Google Search has a feature that will identify a song like that. I'm not sure how easy it is to invoke without using 3rd party software (or how you're even defining 3rd party software, most Android OS versions are made by 3rd parties) but that will likely depend on the specific phone you get. For example, my understanding is that the Moto X can do what you're asking without you even touching the phone. Personally, I don't use the Google version very often because I'm very happy with Shazam and SoundHound (both free and easy to invoke). Though I did have Google Search identify a live college basketball game I was watching by listening to it, which I thought was pretty impressive. It knew I might be watching TV because it saw the TV on the WiFi network I was connected to and gave me a two tap option to identify what I was watching at the time.

Out of curiosity, what's the issue you have with using 3rd party software? One of the biggest advantages Android has is how easy it is to replace built in functions with, many times superior, 3rd party options. You aren't stuck with how Google thinks something should work, you have many options and are able to customize your phone to work how you want. It's a bit bizarre to say you don't want to use 3rd party software and then complain about how little 3rd party software there is for Windows phones.

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Cool thanks. Picking up a Nexus 5 tomorrow now that I found this out. As far as how I define third party....I guess the only way it really can be, something not made by Google and/or included in the stock Android OS. I don't like third party apps because I hate redundancy. First thing I plan on doing is rooting and ripping out the GApps (dont use Gmail/Talk/Hangouts/G+) because I don't need them, and they take up space. I fully plan on filling all 32GB worth of crap, I would just prefer it to be MY crap.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It's easy to invoke with the Google search bar. Just tap the mic button and say "what song is this?"

Alternatively, you can drop the song id widget on one of your home screens, and it's just a one tap operation.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta