A better battery indicator app

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm a user of Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and I need an app that shows the remaining battery more accurate than 1% increments. Perhaps 1/1000 or even more?
Searching google play does not return what I'm looking for.
Is there any app like that?

I appreciate your help :)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I doubt you'll find that. 1% is probably all of the significant digits for that type of measurement. The actual capacity of the battery changes over time so it's difficult to get a very precise measurement of battery percent. You may find one that gives you more, but I wouldn't trust it.

GSam Battery Monitor gives you the battery voltage down to a milivolt, but I'm not sure just how accurate it is.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remaining time on a battery is at the current amount of drain drain (at the the precise moment the calculation is being made). To determine, within even 1%, exactly how much time REALLY remains in the battery would require a method of seeing into the future. Unless your phone is in airplane mode and doing exactly the same thing from now until the battery dies, the best estimate of remaining battery life is probably on the order of 5-10%. Even 1% is just making things up. 1/1,000%? That's beyond fantasy. It's like predicting the lifespan of the third child of your second grandchild when you're 5 years old.

If the phone is not in airplane mode, moving one joint of one finger that's 3 feet from the phone affects the drain on the battery. So does an airplane passing overhead or a car passing on the next block. And you want accuracy from that? We can account for the butterfly effect in weather prediction a lot better than we can predict cellphone battery life.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Remaining time on a battery is at the current amount of drain drain (at the the precise moment the calculation is being made). To determine, within even 1%, exactly how much time REALLY remains in the battery would require a method of seeing into the future. Unless your phone is in airplane mode and doing exactly the same thing from now until the battery dies, the best estimate of remaining battery life is probably on the order of 5-10%. Even 1% is just making things up. 1/1,000%? That's beyond fantasy. It's like predicting the lifespan of the third child of your second grandchild when you're 5 years old.

If the phone is not in airplane mode, moving one joint of one finger that's 3 feet from the phone affects the drain on the battery. So does an airplane passing overhead or a car passing on the next block. And you want accuracy from that? We can account for the butterfly effect in weather prediction a lot better than we can predict cellphone battery life.
I don't think you need to know the drain. You just need to know the highest and lowest possible working voltages and the current voltage. So if the highest you can get is exactly 4.2 V, the lowest you can get with your phone still working is exactly 3.2 V (numbers made up to make math easy) then you know that if the battery voltage is exactly 3.7 V then you're at exactly 50% capacity. It doesn't matter how fast the battery is draining or charging, if your voltage is halfway between the minimum and maximum then you're at 50%.

My understanding is that the problem is knowing the exact highest and lowest voltage. There's also the issue of what sort of noise the battery monitor could see. If the reading it gets is jumping around because of EMI (which is almost certainly is) then there will be a limit to just how accurate your battery voltage reading actually is. Many of the least significant digits will be jumping around which renders them useless. My guess is if you added any significant digits to the battery reading they would go up and down seemingly at random.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2