FIXED! GoDaddy Calendar sync issues!!

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: FIXED!! see bottom of this post for the update

Been working on this for weeks.

What I would like to do:
- Worker has GS4 and inputs timesheet hours (electrician) into his phones calendar
- Phones calendar syncs to GoDaddy calendar account
- I (owner) view calendar from Outlook at office computer to track hour

What I have done:
- Purchased a GoDaddy calendar account (up to 10 users)
- Created my worker his own Calendar account
- Synced GoDaddy calendar to workers Gmail account (Godaddy calendar published)
- In workers Gmail account (online) I have added to "Other Calendars" for GoDaddy syncing by adding URL published from GoDaddy

What works:
- Event posted in GoDaddy (online) calendar shows up on Outlook and Gmail (online) calendar in "Other Calendars - GoDaddy"
- Mobile phone events sync to Gmail (online) calendar under "My Calendar" only. Not under "Other Calendars - GoDaddy"
- GoDaddy (online) calendar is viewable from Outlook in my office

What doesn't work:
- Phone doesn't sync to "Other Calendars"
- Creating an event in Gmail (online) calendar in "Other Calendars - GoDaddy". Will not give option to create a event for "Other Calendars - GoDaddy" only for "My Calendar"

Questions:
1. For Gmail (online) "Other Calendars" are you not able to create events? Can you only view them?
2. From mobile device can you only create events to Gmail (online) calendar in "My Calendar"?
3. Has anyone sync'd a GoDaddy online calendar with an Android device?
4. Read stuff about S Planner and Samsung Kies possibly causing issues with Calendar syncs. Can anyone confirm or give input?

Disclamimer:
- I do not use android devices. Just learning them. I use my BlackBerry Z10 and syncing my BlackBerry with GoDaddy calendar was easy (considering GoDaddy said it was not possible)
- I have done LOTS of reading of forums and help guides to try and figure this out. Been working on and off for weeks on this. Tough when I don't always have my workers phone to play around with.

Once I have this issue solved I will post a complete "How-to" for this. It is frustrating to search the internet and not find a logical solution. I had to do the same thing for my BlackBerry Z10 and it turned out the procedure was quiet simple in the end. As seen here: How to: GoDaddy Calendar sync with Z10 BB10 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

For reference: Here is how GoDaddy says to sync a android device to GoDaddy Calendar: Synchronizing Calendar with Your Mobile Device | GoDaddy Help | GoDaddy Support

Here's the fix:

- Downloaded Caldav-Sync from PlayStore (Yes I had to pay for it) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=org.dmfs.caldav.lib&hl=en&token=Jp3HaPTb
- Also had to install the app fix app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...jb.workaround.caldavsync&hl=en&token=2zrJahXB
- Installed apps
- App setup:
Select CALDAV
URL: Type https: //caldav.secureserver.net:8443/principals/users/EMAIL ADDRESS/ <-- insert your email address in full where it says EMAIL ADDRESS and make sure of the / at the end ALSO remove [space] after the https: (I added that to prevent the automatic hyperlink in the forum)
NOTE: The :8443 was needed now as of Aug. 2014 for an unknown reason. GoDaddy told me to get a new device as my device wasn't syncing anymore. Their technical support is crap but I was able to find the solution.

Username: the email you use to login to GoDaddy Calendar (ex. yourname@gmail.com)
Password: yourpassword **FYI - GoDaddy Calendar login didn't work online or on app so GoDaddy chat support had to send a password reset to us (glitch on their part)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: GoDaddy Calendar sync issues!! Help!

Some of your issues may be a problem with the app itself. Have you emailed the developer about it?

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Some of your issues may be a problem with the app itself. Have you emailed the developer about it?

Thank you for your reply. To clarify. There is NO app. It is a online webservice for email/calendar/file storage. I mainly use it for email (works great!) but really wanted to use the calendar features that come with it.

The calendar (online) should automatically sync with the calendar built into the phone. Ex. on my blackberry, I go to "accounts", "Add calendar" (CalDav) and type in the details. Works great! Everything syncs. With Android devices as far as my understanding goes, you have to sync the GoDaddy online calendar with the Gmail calendar which then will sync to the phone. There doesn't seem to be a direct sync from GoDaddy calendar to device. You HAVE to use Gmail Calendar for the sync! My opinion so far, PAIN in the ***! With Apple and BlackBerries you just do a direct sync to device.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong or am looking at this the wrong way.

Again here is GoDaddy's instructions on the syncing install: Synchronizing Calendar with Your Mobile Device | GoDaddy Help | GoDaddy Support
From reading the instructions can anyone verify if what I am trying to do is possible? Two way sync of the calendars. Technically I would be fine with one-way sync (device to GoDaddy online)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What doesn't work:
- Phone doesn't sync to "Other Calendars"

I believe this should be able to work. First, open your Google Calendar app in your phone, tap Menu, then Settings, then your Google account. Make sure the GoDaddy calendar is checked, which means it will be synced.

Now go back to the main Calendar screen, tap Menu again, and now Calendars To Display. Make sure the GoDaddy calendar is checked.

The GoDaddy calendar should now be syncing, and if you enter a New Event, you should be able to specify that calendar as the target.

I hope I understood what you're trying to do ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I read through your OP again, and noted that you said the GoDaddy calendar is going straight to your My Calendar. If you can, see if you can Share the GoDaddy calendar with your own Google Account (using the desktop browser Google Calendar interface).

Edit--I'm sorry, I think I misread that part of your post. It sounds like you're saying that when you try to create an event, you're only able to do select My Calendar. This will happen if the GoDaddy calendar isn't set to sync, and I believe also if it isn't set to be displayed.

Let me give you my example of how my shared calendar works, and hopefully it might be helpful. My wife has a Google Calendar with my daughter's schedule on her Google account. She shared it with my Google account, so it shows up in my Other Calendars column. It also shows up in my Google Calendar app, but as I mentioned above, I have to go to the Google Calendar Settings, then my Google account, then select that Calendar to be synced. Does this work for you?

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

The calendar (online) should automatically sync with the calendar built into the phone. Ex. on my blackberry, I go to "accounts", "Add calendar" (CalDav) and type in the details. Works great! Everything syncs. With Android devices as far as my understanding goes, you have to sync the GoDaddy online calendar with the Gmail calendar which then will sync to the phone. There doesn't seem to be a direct sync from GoDaddy calendar to device.
Have you looked at CalDAV-Sync? I use it to sync my handset and tablet calendars to our CalDAV server at work. Works like a champ. (If Google had their act together, that support would be native, IMO.)

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Have you looked at CalDAV-Sync? I use it to sync my handset and tablet calendars to our CalDAV server at work. Works like a champ. (If Google had their act together, that support would be native, IMO.)

Please explain more....

Is CalDAV-Sync an app? Sounds like what I am needing as CalDav is how I have synced my BlackBerry Z10 to GoDaddy Calendar.

I'll look into and update as I know more

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Did a LITTLE research.

Found CalDAV-Sync on PlayStore (by Marten Gajda). First off, little disappointed that it costs to install the app. These app-like features should be free on a mobile device from the OS manufacturer (Android or in my case BlackBerry). IMO it seems like Android is locking you in to use Gmail and Google Calendar for these mobile needs. With my BlackBerry Z10 I can use these "features" directly from the phone without the need of an app or whatever.

DON'T GET ME WRONG! This is not a comment about BlackBerry being better than Android in this aspect. I am just wanting this to work and work well.

I'll test and post my results as I come up with them.

To all that have commented and helped, Thank You and to those that read for advise You're Welcome. This is to help myself and others in the future.

Brian

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Did a LITTLE research.

Found CalDAV-Sync on PlayStore (by Marten Gajda). First off, little disappointed that it costs to install the app. These app-like features should be free on a mobile device from the OS manufacturer (Android or in my case BlackBerry). IMO it seems like Android is locking you in to use Gmail and Google Calendar for these mobile needs.
Of course Google wants to lock you in to their ecosphere. They all do.

As for CalDAV-Sync being a paid app: *shrug* You either pay for something, in which case you're the customer, or you get it free, in which case you're the commodity. Personally: I'd prefer to be the customer. Google would prefer you remain a commodity.

I didn't get around to it, this last weekend, but I'll be signing up to the $13/yr. GoDaddy shared calendaring service and ditching Google's. That'll bring me down to one remaining Google service: Contacts sync. I hope to someday be rid of that, too.

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Here's the fix:

- Downloaded Caldav-Sync from PlayStore (Yes I had to pay for it)
- Installed app.
- App setup:
URL: Type https: //caldav.secureserver.net/principals/users/EMAIL ADDRESS/ <-- insert your email address in full where it says EMAIL ADDRESS and make sure of the / at the end ALSO remove [space] after the https: (I added that to prevent the automatic hyperlink in the forum)
Username: the email you use to login to GoDaddy Calendar (ex. yourname@gmail.com)
Password: yourpassword **FYI - GoDaddy Calendar login didn't work online or on app so GoDaddy chat support had to send a password reset to us (glitch on their part)

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Please let us know how you like GoDaddy's calendaring service in conjuntion with whatever you're using for a calendar on Android (I use aCalendar) and CalDAV-Sync.

I haven't pulled the trigger, yet, but I'm >< close.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Here's the fix:

- Downloaded Caldav-Sync from PlayStore (Yes I had to pay for it)
- Installed app.
- App setup:
URL: Type https: //caldav.secureserver.net/principals/users/EMAIL ADDRESS/ <-- insert your email address in full where it says EMAIL ADDRESS and make sure of the / at the end ALSO remove [space] after the https: (I added that to prevent the automatic hyperlink in the forum)

I'm glad you found a solution. I'm just curious--was my suggestion above not workable at all, or did it just not provide the degree of functionality you were looking for? It'd help for me to know, in case this issue comes up with other members.

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

I was not able to make the GoDaddy calendar sync with the Google Calendar/Android device. I tried many different options but I just couldn't get two-way sync to work. Were you able to get two-way sync with the calendar example you were mentioning? As far as I could figure out, "Other Calendars" in Google Calendar (online) is ONLY viewable from the Android device and not able to create events into it from the device. As Old Stoneface said, "Google wants to lock you in to their ecosphere" and force you to use their Google Calendar and Gmail with the device.

I had to fall back on using the paid app as my easiest option. So far the app seems to be working great. I'll update if I have any other issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Were you able to get two-way sync with the calendar example you were mentioning?

Oh, you know something? My bad--the shared calendar I was thinking of was not from GoDaddy, but was simply a shared Google Calendar from my wife. I'll see if I can test things out with GoDaddy, but I apologize for my misleading suggestions--I think part of it was that your situation is pretty complex, it was taking me a while to wrap my head around it!

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Oh, you know something? My bad--the shared calendar I was thinking of was not from GoDaddy, but was simply a shared Google Calendar from my wife. I'll see if I can test things out with GoDaddy, but I apologize for my misleading suggestions--I think part of it was that your situation is pretty complex, it was taking me a while to wrap my head around it!

I appreciate every little bit of help and advice I can get here. You're right in saying that this is very complex and I was very shocked that it would be.

I honestly thought that it would be as easy as:
- on device go to calendar
- click add calendar (write in credentials)
- and DONE

Nope I was wrong. It seems like Google has some type of control over forcing "3rd party" calendars to go through gmail/google calendar. I thought this was suppose to be an open OS that was easy to work with.... guess not.

B.Diddy,

If you would like to look into making GoDaddy Calendar work, here are the GoDaddy instructions:

For Android? devices, you need to synch with the Google? Calendar associated with the Gmail? address that your Android device is using. Before synchronizing, you must first publish and subscribe to your Calendar.

To Synchronize Calendar with Your Mobile Device
Before you synchronize, ensure that you have published your Calendar. Publishing your Calendar makes it available for you to view from mobile devices.

The following instructions describe how to synchronize your Calendar with an iPhone?, iPad?, and Apple Mac OSX iCal?, or an Android? device.

Android Devices
From the home screen on your Android device, tap the App Drawer.
Tap Settings, and then tap Accounts & Sync.
Tap your Gmail account to open the account manager.
Tap Sync Calendar to deactivate it, and then tap Sync Calendar again to synchronize your calendar

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a good app that works great, and there's regular updates. It costs a couple bucks for a license in perpetuity for all your devices. I don't mind. Not one whit.

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a good app that works great, and there's regular updates. It costs a couple bucks for a license in perpetuity for all your devices. I don't mind. Not one whit.

The problem that I have with it is that this is a "feature" built into all other OS's and for Android you have to purchase a third party app to make it work. What if you need to purchase an app to use the camera, get your email, use the web browser...? That would really suck if these standard features were only through paid apps. That's the way I feel with the calendar sync.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek