? for those who have tried Pre, EVO, and Epic

JBGood

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I am considering jumping the WebOS ship until the new hardware and 2.0 come out. My question is which of the 2 sprint android devices better inegrate contacts and sms/mms/chat like the pre does? also with the front camera is it possible to video chat with someone on a computer? Figured I would try to find someone who has actually used all 3 rather than a store salesman... Thanks in advance!!

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
If you don't need the keyboard on the Epic (and this is coming from an Epic user), I would suggest the EVO. There's some email issues (can't sort non-gmail email into folders) on the Epic that I think the EVO doesn't have due to HTC customizing the mail app.

That being said, I don't do GTalk that much so I can't tell you just how integrated SMS/MMS and chat are on either.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I had Evo (game to hubby) and got Epic - and I'm a long time Palm person, almost felt guilty, but too many hardware issues.

Anyway, I'm so happy, not looking back. The phones are fast, both do so much more than my Pre, has so many useful apps and so customizable. I was active in PreCentral and had to work and learn hacks, kernels, and all
types of things those wonderful people had on the forums in order to make it work. Most of these are standard on either Phone.

I'm not good a your other questions, I only text, not big into social networks, but works great and easier to use in my opinion.

I think Epic is faster, easier to use coming from Pre. Keyboard if you use one but their is app called Swype that I love.

I miss Pre, but am happy and they must not exceed to get me to com back.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am a converted PRE to EVO user, no regrests in making the switch. Currently I am having issues syncing my Facebook contacts. I think there is an open thread in the forums about this. Twitter sync seems to be working fine, but I don't really use Twitter all that often, so I haven't synced with it in a while. There is a widget (not sure if it is specific to Android or the individual UI) called Friend Stream that shows you all your Twitter and Facebook feeds in one interface. Pretty slick if you like getting it all in one location. There are only two apps, that I know of, that use the front camera for video chatting, Fring and Qik. Fring use to support Skype and would allow you to video chat with computer accounts. However, Skype gave Fring a hard time about including Skype support in their app, so they pulled it out. So now, there are no video chat apps that support phone to PC video chats. I know some of the Verizon Android phones come with an Android Skype app, so I'm sure if you look hard enough you could find it (the .apk installer) and get it installed (haven't tried it, but that's my guess).

Hope that answers your questions. Make the jump, you'll gain a whole new respect for smarphones once you try on Android!