Google maps help?

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So, came back to android after some time with an iphone. I use google maps quite a bit, but have a few things I am confused about. Forst off, is there a way to cache maps on my phone? I am in Italy and do quite a bit of driving/sightseeing and sometimes lose signal. Second, is there a way to stop the screen from timing out when I am using google maps? I can't imagine that google never thought of a way to do this other than having to go into system settings each and every time I open/close maps in order to turn on and off the screen time out. Third, I know google maps keeps north oriented up on the phone by default. Is there a way to have the direction I am headed in up rather than north? I keep maps open pretty much whenever I drive, whether I use the directions or just keep the map open for the traffic. Traffic here in Italy is crazy, and traffic rules here are treated as suggestions rather than laws so I try to avoid traffic jams whenever possible, so I keep mpas open on my phone without using navigation. Thanks for the help. I use a Nexus 5.

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, so never mind in the offline cacheing of maps, got that one figured out, pretty easy actually. However... The screen time out issue is killing me, and the North always up map orientation is irritating. Anyone?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, so never mind in the offline cacheing of maps, got that one figured out, pretty easy actually. However... The screen time out issue is killing me, and the North always up map orientation is irritating. Anyone?

The screen setting is not something you can adjust while using maps - at least not in the Maps Settings. You could maybe use an App like Taske. Let us know if it works for you.

Regarding the north orientation, if you rotate the screen with two singers you'll get the map in a different orientation - and a compass will be shown on the map. Is that what you are referring to?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app