Primary Gmail Hacked

Teak68

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, primary gmail that has all my apps, calendars etc was hacked yesterday where they had password. First thing I did was change password. Then logged out of any IP's completely. From end of 8/2013 to yesterday all the emails were missing. They even changed and changed back the phone numbers I had on my auto signature.

Question to all of you is they had access to all my apps and calendars, Gtasks etc.. Would it be safe to say these are alright with current password change? I know you can't switch apps to another account. Respect and appreciate what you guys have to say.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello. As long as you chamged the password you'll be ok. The phone won't load any of your accounts since the password was changed. When they try to it will ask them to log in, which they no longer can without the password.

In the future, consider installing and setup the Android device manager. It goes a step further and will let you factory reset the device remotely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Teak68

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Very appreciated, just noticed today they also changed settings (filters) incorporating pfhishing reply into any received messages. I emailed Google support but if anybody has any ideas how I can recover the emails that were lost in process would be appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Very appreciated, just noticed today they also changed settings (filters) incorporating pfhishing reply into any received messages. I emailed Google support but if anybody has any ideas how I can recover the emails that were lost in process would be appreciated.

Not sure that you can. See if you get a response from Google and see how that goes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ric0003

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I know it does not help you with recovery of the emails you have already lost. But I recommend you create another gmail account (with an insane password written down and kept in a safe if possible) and automatically forward all your emails to the new email address. This will act as a permanent backup for future emails.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I know it does not help you with recovery of the emails you have already lost. But I recommend you create another gmail account (with an insane password written down and kept in a safe if possible) and automatically forward all your emails to the new email address. This will act as a permanent backup for future emails.

I'd say 2-factor authentication is more important than just a strong password, that way in the future even if someone gets your password there is that barrier of additional protection so they still can't get in. If the OP changes their password and enables that on their existing account should be good enough than having to create another account.

However, for the OP, I'd check your recovery settings such as backup email, phone numbers and such to make sure they are accurate so that info can't be used as a way into your account.

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would highly recommend 2-factor authentication too. It's really great. And once you have used it on a computer you can choose that it doesn't ask you for a while instead of doing it every time.

Good luck with Google support, hope they sort it out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781