Question on rooting a SIM unlocked device

angelseph

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with the following:
Recently I bought an unlocked galaxy express i437 (the phone is originally from AT&T) and I am able to use it with other carriers with no problems but there is no way to change the technology (there is no "network mode" menu). Searching around, I found that it can be changed manually with code *#2263# and going through the sub-menus which is a pain to do.
I was thinking in rooting this phone and install CM10.2 in hopes of getting the network mode available directly from the settings screen but before I try that I need to know if the phone will remain SIM-unlock as it currently is or if there is a risk of having it bound to AT&T after the rooting process.
Thanks in advance.

Angel

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to change anything in the phone. It's a GSM phone. If it's unlocked, it'll accept any SIM without changing anything.

If you want to change it to Cyanogen because you prefer Cyanogen (I personally don't), you can change it, but you don't have to do that to put in any GSM SIM you want.

(Which "network mode" were you looking to change it to?)

angelseph

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It's an LTE phone. Normally all Samsung android phones have a "network mode" menu that allows the user to use GSM or WCDMA networks, in this case I can't (I'm stuck using LTE).
As I mentioned, I can change technologies through a hidden service menu but is tedious.
I know that I can use any SIM I have, in fact, that's the reason I bought it in the first place (it came already unlocked) but my question is if rooting the phone breaks the "SIM unlocked" state and forces me to go to AT&T (i437 is an AT&T branded phone). I've never used Cyanogen but that's not really the point of rooting, I just thing that installing CM will allow me to see the network mode menu.
Thanks.

BadgerVadge907

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I just flashed the CM11 rom for my express i437 and it works almost flawless except the external lights flash so u have to lock it again sometimes. The rooting part is soooooo easy, and use CWM instead of TWRP