Samsung s3 mini can't find SD card

jorg1

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Sandisk Ultra microSDXC card with 64GB to use in my Samsung s3 mini. When I put it in the phone doesn't find it (presumably); going to `settings` -> `storage` and scrolling down to the bottom it says

Mount SD card
Insert SD card

but it is greyed out, so nothing happens when I tap it. The SD card seems to work perfecly fine as a storage on my Windows 7 computer.

Googling around it seems I might have to format the SD card to fat32 (I tried first reformatting it with exFat, the default, and also NFTS, to no avail). But that is not an option when using `right-click` -> `format...` on windows 7.

So I try "Fat32Formatter". When I start it it claims the SD card is in NFTS format (even though it's formatted to exFat). Trying to format it to Fat32 I get the error `Failed to determine the drive`.

I also tried "HP USB disk storage format tool", but when I start it all the options are greyed out and I'm not even able to select a device.

Lastly I tried "MiniTool partition wizard", which indicates that the SD card is `(Bad Disk)` and doesn't let me format or do anything to it. I try using Partition Recovery Wizard on it, but that doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The maximum size card the phone can see is 32GB. SD cards aren't like RAM chips - where reading a 64GB stick as a 32GB stick just gives you 2 locations at once and there's no problem. Your phone can't see the SD card. See if you can exchange it for a 32GB card and some refund (although the chances are you can't), or find someone willing to trade with you.