How to put parental control on Android Chrome browser?

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Android Central communuty,

I recently spotted my 9 year old son searching for inappropriate stuff inside the Google Chrome app. Is it possible to restrict the browser so that when he googles certain words, it wouldn't bring out any results? I've seen programs that do that but I can't recall any of them. Oh, and he's using the original Nexus 7.

I'd be really thankful if you could help me with this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could replace Chrome with Chrome Beta, which is the version of Chrome in beta-testing format that has numerous features not yet available in the standard Chrome version. A while back, a "supervised user" feature was announced for Chrome that could allow someone to control what other users could access across Chrome, but I'm not sure if that feature is on the Android Chrome Beta app yet. Here's a link to the AC article that talked about it: 'Supervised Users' feature coming to Chrome Beta channel | Android Central

If Chrome Beta does work for you, you'd probably want to disable the main Chrome browser so that your son would only have access to Chrome Beta. To disable, go to Settings>Apps>All, select Chrome, and tap Disable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most app supervisory apps or controls limit who can use the app or at what times. What you want is something more like Net Nanny. https://www.netnanny.com/mobile/ (If you get messages about the site being untrusted, it's a technical thing - let your browser go to the site.) This allows you to filter on categories, set age-appropriate profiles, just about everything you need.

Except for one thing. Kids these days are very computer-aware - don't be surprised if he figures out how to get around it in 5 minutes.