Why can't I hear the people I call on my Galaxy S4?

Connort226

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4: No Sound In calls

HI everyone

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on android 4.3
Recently i tried to make multiple phone calls and when in the call i haven't been able to hear the person on the other end and they cant hear me (This also happens when i receive a call)
however when my friend calls me over skype on my phone the speaker and mic is working perfectly fine and we can talk

the only thing i can think of is that recently i hooked up my bluetooth headset to my phone and made a phone call to a friend and since then i haven't been able to hear anyone when making a phone call

can anyone help
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Gevio WhiteWizard

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: No Sound In calls

Mayby you have enabled some call blocker or something like that accidentally , try to check call options at settings and if everything is ok basiclly the phone got some problem , but i am sure you have disabled something automaticlly , if you cant fix it factory reset your phone and tjen if the problem persist mayby something has gone wrong ....

Regards

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

HI everyone

Recently i tried to make multiple phone calls and when in the call i haven't been able to hear the person on the other end and they cant hear me (This also happens when i receive a call)
however when my friend calls me over skype on my phone the speaker and mic is working perfectly fine and we can talk

the only thing i can think of is that recently i hooked up my bluetooth headset to my phone and made a phone call to a friend and since then i haven't been able to hear anyone when making a phone call

can anyone help
Thanks

Try rebooting the phone and see if the problem continues. Also, be sure to check that the device is not muted when in calls.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Connort226

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

So i have tried factory resetting it but that still hasn't worked but i am still very confused as

1. I still have the same problem of i can talk/hear my friend on Skype but not through a phone call
2. When i use my headset to make a phone call i can talk and hear people but i still cant with out it

Jake Moore1

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4: No Sound In calls

Found problem had the same issue two days after I got my phone. This seams to work.

Settings> More Networks> Mobile Networks.
THEN, set network mode to LTE/CDMA then set GLOBAL DATA ROAMING ACCESS to "Deny all data roaming access"

(May not work if you have wifi on, but should)

AndroidArmageddon

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

HI everyone

can anyone help
Thanks

This is happening to me on my s4 with kit kat and the recent updates factory reset and all and no go! This is always happening with blue tooth and connecting a device it may work for a call or two and then doesn't work at all I've also noticed a lot of calls going straight to voicemail . Do you think this is a hardware issue?

Muhammad Ali Tahir

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

HI everyone

can anyone help
Thanks

I was in a vibercall with my friend and heard some weird sounds like the ones when u tried to connect to internet in the olden days. Since than I am unable to hear a word and the other party as well can't hear nothing on a cellular call(viber and Skype etc working fine means no hardware issue, antenna is fine as the call connects perfectly and sms sent and received promptly). I reset my phone after backing up with samsung kies which was a headache in itself. After the reset problem persists but when I changed my sim card problem was solved but that didn't last long after a few minutes the glitch was still there. So its been more than 4 days now I am using S4 Active kindly let me know if you guys found any solution or else I will just hit to the repair center.

Thanks

tomshubert

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I have started having the exact same problem with my Galaxy S4. I can make and receive calls fine using Bluetooth connected headset or my car bluetooth. But the phone itself sends out a nasty buzz when people call and I answer. If I hit mute the buzz goes away and they hear nothing. I cannot hear anything from the phone itself no matter what. I factory reset it and it seemed to work fine for a while. But after it automatically downloaded all of the Google Play store stuff (may be a coincidence) it started doing it all over again. I was thinking maybe it is a bad app. If I pull the battery and put it in again and power up the phone works great for all of 5 or 10 minutes. I will also notice it go out right in the middle of a call. Either my call will get dropped or suddenly I just hear silence. AT&T claims they have never heard of this. The phone is in pristine condition. Every other aspect of the device is perfect. I sure do not want to have to pay for a new phone!!!

ricardo6395

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem, I can call people and receive calls on my phone but no one can hear me and I can't hear anyone.. I don't even hear a tone when it's dialing.

This is for everyone that is having the same problem, I had this problem and was scratching my head because it was brand new so before factory resetting I decided to manually back up my documents, by moving them frome the phone to my desktop. After moving them, I decided to test it out, and to my surprise it worked. So to anyone having the same problem try moving some things to your computer, even if your internal or external memory isn't full, and test it out to see of it works.

ricardo6395

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Update
This is for everyone with a Galaxy S4 doesn't matter which carrier. *Background* I have an S4 that would randomly pause videos and music, but i didn't think much of it. Then one day out of the blue after i disconnected the aux cable from the phone, i made a call and suddenly no sound. I did the usual reboot, to get the same error. Keep in mind that the only thing affected was calls. So i factory reset and updated, and it worked, only to have it do it again in about a week. So i decided to use the handsfree headset to make a call and it worked, so i ruled out that it was the headset and not the network. So to fix yours first get a bright flashlight and look into your headphone jack, if you have the same problem i have been chasing you should see some lint at the very bottom. From what i can tell the jack is sensitive to foreign objects in there, other than the headphone plug. what i did is i got a plastic loop that, you would normally find holding the price tag on a shirt, and i used the long stiff end to gently pull the lint out of the jack. Now if that doesn't solve your problem, the next step you could take would be to teardown your S4 and remove the jack. Removing it isn't hard youtube.com/watch?v=YkIRoHy5SY4 here is a link on how to do it. once you get it out you can do the above if you didn't do it previously. Once the lint is out and you have the jack out of the phone you can get a syringe and inject alcohol into the jack. *WARNING* DO NOT use alcohol with the jack still in the phone, even with 99.99% alcohol, it still needs to evaporate, and the alcohol, like water will find its way deep into the phone, so do yourself a favor and take the jack out. Also I recommend you use 90% alcohol or higher, not just on this but on any electronic product, because water and electronics don't mix, which is what you get with 70% rubbing alcohol. An even better thing would be amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-1-Liter-Isopropyl-Alcohol/dp/B00E4WJMEU/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1408684694&sr=8-30&keywords=electronics+alcohol, which is pure with no water. After this is done you should have a working S4, as long as no more lint gets in to the jack again. Good Luck.

TheKiltedKimchi

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

These are the exact symptoms that I'm experiencing.

1. Calls can be made via bluetooth fine.
2. Calls from the handset are silent on the handset, but sometimes on the other end of the call, people say that they hear either silence or a screeching sound. Hitting mute on the handset silences the screeching. Touching numbers on the keypad play the DTMF signal.
3. Sound plays over the speaker fine.

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I am having this problem too.
Calls seem to work fine via blue tooth other wise calls rarely work. Started about 2 months ago. This totally sucks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sky_light

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I also have this problem. The first time it happened, a simple restart worked, but last night the only thing that worked was a hard reset.
I restored most of my apps and it still worked fine until I used my car headset this morning... After pulling out the jack the problem recurred and now the factory reset doesn't seem to be working. My s4 active is only a few months old but its future seems grim.

I will try looking for lint before I start tinkering with its insides

Sky_light

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I also have this problem. The first time it happened, a simple restart worked, but last night the only thing that worked was a hard reset.
I restored most of my apps and it still worked fine until I used my car headset this morning... After pulling out the jack the problem recurred and now the factory reset doesn't seem to be working. My s4 active is only a few months old but its future seems grim.

I will try looking for lint before I start tinkering with its insides

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Well. It wasn't Waze causing the problem. I called att. They opened a case and got back to me yesterday and said Samsung is aware of the problem and is coming up with a fix. In the mean time I was told to toggle the airplane mode. IMO this is not looking good.

Posted via the Android Central App