How do I get my pictures off my phone if I have a broke screen ?

Mike Bolland

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
You need to unlock the device to see it

Use a micro usb to usb cable to plug in a keyboard and type the keylock code

Or get a MHL cable to plug in a hdmi to see the screen

christina0413

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Im having this SAME exact issue. I just received my new phone, and before i send my old one back i would like to see if i can get some of my pictures, files, and/or music back onto my new one somehow :(

seaotter0808

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I am having the EXACT same problem. My phone's screen has just gone to the wind; it is black, and when I press the power button, I can see a few things on my screen (the battery percentage, the "emergency call" button on the home screen, but not the numbers to unlock my phone) and they are GREEN...mm? I had a warranty on the phone so I was sent a new one. Have the new one and wanted to recover my photos (im in high school, and I have prom pictures that I want to recover). However, when I connect to the computer via USB, the file says it is empty. I have done backups before, don't know who did it, but I have gotten updates on my phone plenty times that the "update is complete". I thought it may have been through google+, but there are no pictures on my account. does anyone know where I can find the photos that were "backed up"?

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
that the "update is complete". I thought it may have been through google+, but there are no pictures on my account. does anyone know where I can find the photos that were "backed up"?

Unless you know that the "update is complete" message was for photo backups that could have been almost anything.

If you have a dropbox account check it online, same for Google Drive and Google+, if you were backing up to an SDCARD did you take it out of the broken phone?

Abbypop

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
the exact same thing happened to me too about 2 weeks ago now!!! i dropped my samsung s4 on a bike ride(even though it was in a pretty protected case) and the LCD smashed and it started of with a corner of the screen being green but now the whole screen is black apart from a few things. Ive got a new phone now because it cost around 200 pounds to repair:'( but i still really want my photos back as there was soo many memories on there. i was wondering if you ever found a way to sort it out? if so please help me!!!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I woukd back up my photos to various cloud accounts. They're ate plenty available and can b set to automatically back up to cloud after pic is taken. Really better easy thing to do

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

WeezyMoss

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
You need to unlock the device to see it

Use a micro usb to usb cable to plug in a keyboard and type the keylock code

Or get a MHL cable to plug in a hdmi to see the screen

Looks like you have the right idea... however, is there a way to change the settings on the phone from file transfer mode to camera mode but without using the phone? Can this be done using the command line or overwritten somehow?

Stacey Turner1

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem screen completely gone but still life in the phone. Tonight I have managed to retrieve all pictures onto my laptop.I'm not in the slightest a computer whizz. So just to give some hope it can be done. Just plug phone in and have a play when it picks up your device. Good luck x

Dana Haidar

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
After I plug in the HDMI cable how am I going to be able to to unlock the screen if it's a pattern code? does the HDMI only transmit the image or can I control my phone remotely from the computer/TV I plug it into?

ranga123

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi ive had a similar problem, my screen doesnt work, other than that its fine. when plugged int the computer and to use the files the phone has to be unlocked/ opened... if this is not done it will say no files are found and will not open anyfiles.

STaRRBucK215

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Connect an USB OTG to your phone, connect an USB mouse into the USB OTG. Use your mouse to unlock the pattern! (Problem is, This only works if you can still see the screen) If only there were a program out there to allow your tv or (in my case) touchscreen monitor to act as the smartphone led. So you can still see the contents on your from via your tv or monitor!

Here's what it looks like

Attachments

• usb otg.jpg
    usb otg.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6
  • usb otg2.jpg
    usb otg2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

KirstenM1

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to my Galaxy S3. Shattered screen, all black, a few lights work but when plugging it into the computer it says no files. To unlock it i managed, through trial and error, to get my pattern password on the blank screen. Make sure you have the phone plugged into your computer and the folder open. Not sure if this will work for you but it worked for me and I am grateful for that.

I guess even if the display doesn't work the touch screen component still can.

Hope you get your photos!

Valarie Prieto

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I myself broke my screen on my galaxy4. i was able to connect to desktop and retreive all my photos, except for the ones that i had saved in the hidded folder. it wasnt an app, just an option under settings once in gallery. So my important question is if anyone knows if there is ANY WAY WHAT SO EVER TO RETRIEVE THOSE "HIDDEN" PHOTOS TO DESKTOP just like the other photos?!!?

dawnha

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!

Would you happen to how to get this to work if the phone has a numerical password (not swipe) for screen lock? When I plug the phone up to my computer it wants me to put in my passcode on the phone, would be great if there was a desktop app that would allow me to put in my password directly on the computer since the screen/lcd is broken on my S4.

bch74hotmail

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi Emma
I know this won't make you feel any better but it just happened to me last night...although it was my lovely daughter who took my mobile into the bathtub with her and now I have a blank screen, phone on, and no back up! I feel your pain. I am still going through all these comments so please, if you have worked out a way of retrieving your photos, I would be forever grateful if you could share how you did it!! Thanks

David Snider1

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
He is right, I have the same issue with my Xperia Z1S. I need to either get a new screen or get a mouse connected to the phone, then I can unlock the screen. When I hook it up to the CPU, it says that the phone is empty. Nothing at all.

Yes, you need to plug the phone to the cpu and transfer the files, if the screen is locked, you need to get a USB mouse converted to your phone and unlock using the mouse, then hook up to the CPU and transfer

Last edited by a moderator:

ecoalson27

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My phone was locked with a PIN and I used graph paper to map out the keypad (I had touch screen sounds enabled so I was able to determine where the screen was responding to my touches). My graph is attached - you may be able to map this on your phone based on the grid. If not, what I did was:

1. Turn off phone
2. Tape graph paper across screen making sure not to cover the speaker in the back.
3. Touched the screen in each square of the grid and marked where I heard a sound. I noticed that the keypad produced a sound on the first touch where other notifications, widgets, etc. required two touches.
4. Using the markings, I built out the keypad.
5. Restart phone, enter PIN and your phone should be unlocked.

Once unlocked, I took a screen shot of my phone because I saw I had notifications I wanted to check.

Not high tech, doesn't require buying USB mouse converter or other equipment.

Hope this helps!

20150607_110546.jpg