Best video call app?

garethrdwilliams

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So I came from an iPhone where I had Facetime and all was good. My mum would Facetime me to speak to her grandchildren via here iPad but now I've moved to Android that's been knocked on the head. I did install Skype but the video was really poor quality and I had to sign in if my mum wanted to video call me. I hear Google hangouts does video calling but for the life of me I cannot see where or how?
Any help is most appreciated getting it up and running or is there s better cross OS app out there ??

Thanks

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know you can only Video call with Hangouts to other users of Hangouts. And when you tap one of those contacts while in Hangouts there should be a button for video calling. On tablets its a green bar at the bottom of 2 buttons "Message" & "Video call" on phones its a video camera looking button at the top after you tap the contact and able to input text.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am happy to help and I hope it fills your needs. For me the quality can suffer sometimes if bandwidth gets choked but I rarely loose connection. Good luck.

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
So I came from an iPhone where I had Facetime and all was good. My mum would Facetime me to speak to her grandchildren via here iPad but now I've moved to Android that's been knocked on the head. I did install Skype but the video was really poor quality and I had to sign in if my mum wanted to video call me. I hear Google hangouts does video calling but for the life of me I cannot see where or how?
Any help is most appreciated getting it up and running or is there s better cross OS app out there ??

Viber, Tango, and LINE. All three free! For iOS and Android.
Since they are free anyway I would try them one by one, and find out which one works best for you and your mom.
Of course much of the quality of the call/transmission, or lack of it, is determined by what happens to the signal between your 2 phones. Your router, your provider's system, the route and detours the data packets travel across the internet, another provider's system, another router, etc. etc. I.o.w. the quality of the call/transmission, or lack of it, is not necessarily attributable to those 2 phones or the apps on them. There are a gazillion other variables at play as well.

Last edited:

peterdavidson99

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you can use Google Hangout for video conferencing. All that you need to do is set up a Google account and sync your contacts. Check this reference and learn how to set up a video conference via G+ hangout: https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3110347?hl=en. Some other iPhone apps that provide audio as well as web conferencing features are UberConference (https://www.uberconference.com/), Oovoo (ooVoo Video Chat), Viber (Viber - Free calls, Free text messages, photo and location sharing) etc. You can use any one of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781