Best phone in the 4.7" screensize or less

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I do anything wrong.

My brother is currently looking for a replacement smartphone, and to prevent him from either getting an iPhone or going back to flip-phones I've been tasked to find him a phone that is smaller than his current Droid X2, and that he won't have any issues with - has good battery life and probably an SD card slot. Also, he, oddly, dislikes the size of his Droid X2 and wants something even smaller, although I think I could talk him into something of equal size, since he liked the Xperia ZR but it isn't supported on Verizon, also a requirement for this phone.

So, I'm open for any suggestions - and even ones to wait for something that's on the horizon (Although preferably to be released in the next couple months). I can do further research on suggestions provided, although reasons why that phone is a good choice would be nice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the Moto X, although no microSD slot. It's too bad Verizon doesn't carry the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, which has gotten some good reviews.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is the best option on Verizon. There's also the Droid mini if he wants something smaller than the Moto X. Neither has an SD slot, but you would have to go with the S4 mini to get SD in a small phone on Verizon. I suggest taking your brother to a Verizon store to see if the Moto X is too big.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB Roms 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That problem can be solved with a personal cloud. I recommend MEGA (mega.co.nz). It's free and offers 50 GB of encrypted storage space. There's also a good free app in the Play Store.

True, but a lot of times, people want an external SD card to store music and videos locally, for easy access without having to use any mobile data.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I personally would go with the Moto X, he seems to have a disdain for Motorola devices after all his friends who had Razr Ms hated the crap out of them tho. The Z1 Compact looks like an awesome phone, if he switches off of Verizon that looks like an excellent choice. I assume it'll be available for T-Mobile and AT&T in the US?

As far as the expandable storage vs. cloud goes, as B Diddy said, "people want an external SD card to store music and videos locally, for easy access without having to use any mobile data." And I personally don't like cloud, I like physical storage that I can see.

I haven't heard anything, but if there ends up being an Moto X2 when would it's release date, generally speaking, probably be?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I personally would go with the Moto X, he seems to have a disdain for Motorola devices after all his friends who had Razr Ms hated the crap out of them tho. The Z1 Compact looks like an awesome phone, if he switches off of Verizon that looks like an excellent choice. I assume it'll be available for T-Mobile and AT&T in the US?

As far as the expandable storage vs. cloud goes, as B Diddy said, "people want an external SD card to store music and videos locally, for easy access without having to use any mobile data." And I personally don't like cloud, I like physical storage that I can see.

I haven't heard anything, but if there ends up being an Moto X2 when would it's release date, generally speaking, probably be?

Motorola said late summer. That's around the same time it was released last year, so it should be around August/September.
I also vote for the Moto X. Not sure how much music he has, but 32GB should be enough to store a large collection of it

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto currently has a promo for a free Chromecast when ordering through MotoMaker (which is necessary to get 32GB on Verizon).

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the Moto X support otg usb storage? Just get him a micro USB card reader and profit.

I play with my food

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
True, but a lot of times, people want an external SD card to store music and videos locally, for easy access without having to use any mobile data.

Absolutely valid.
But rapidly less so as the density of accessible WiFi hotspots increases at a breathtaking pace. Right now e.g. airliners, trains, and buses all across the globe are at various stages in the process of adding free WiFi on their rides. And hotels, bars, eateries, caf?s, fast food joints, etc. etc. without free WiFi already simply aren't 'relevant' anymore and pay the price. That trend is only ballooning! They've already got WiFi on top of Mount Everest for crying out loud!

Last edited:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G is awesome. 3 people I know have one & you would never know this is a "entry level" phone. Performs awesome & build quality is really nice. My girl friends daughter got the Droid mini a couple months ago. Basically a smaller Moto X & a very nice phone. Then there's the Moto X. Can't go wrong there. I thought I would miss my micro SD card, but with 32gigs onboard storage, I'm not missing it at all.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Even without the SD card slot I would still vote the Moto X like the others have said.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No love for the HTC One? It's got a 4.7 inch screen, though it is bigger than most other phones.

The OP asked for a smaller phone than his current X2. The one is not a small phone for its screen size. Next to my Moto X its huge.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
He still seems inclined to dislike Motorola products... So, what would be some other good options (non-Motorola) for Verizon?

The problem is keeping it relatively small. The HTC One is a 4.7" screen like the X, but it's huge compared to it. The One and G2 are probably the only non-Moto devices worth buying on Verizon and the One is being refreshed with a 5" screen in the next month or two and the G2 is a 5.2" screen. I think there is an S4 mini, but compared to the Moto X it's absolutely a garbage device... nowhere near worth the money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci